Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Witcher set swords look pretty ugly. They have this issue where the silver sword actually has a longer hilt than the steel sword, which is bad for a specialized secondary weapon. Also the design is pretty bland.

My favorite swords were the Blade From the Bits steel sword (absolutely beautiful Renaissance type longsword with an elegant crossguard) and the Aein-something elven silver sword, with a short hilt and a matching scabbard design.

The Warthogs are added with the Hearts of Stone DLC so don't tackle them until you are pretty much done with the main game stuff.

veskoandroid

Educated
Does anyone have a problem of not being able to interact with certain smiths or shoopkeepers? Recently im unable to talk to some of them. In hierarch square i cant talk to any shopkeeper except book seller in the building. But on the square, if i get near them there isn't talk option. Also one smith in a village sw of novigrad.

Another problem that appeared also recently is that forward arrow makes geralt move first to the side then resume going forward. As if pc thinks fwd button is right/left button, then remembers its not and keeps working normally. It happens only when im still.

Cant understand if i messed something in input.settings or wrongly merged some mod...

Maybe fast travel from anywhere or torch hold to interact(torch requires input settings changes)

duchU

Educated
Does anyone have a problem of not being able to interact with certain smiths or shoopkeepers? Recently im unable to talk to some of them. In hierarch square i cant talk to any shopkeeper except book seller in the building. But on the square, if i get near them there isn't talk option. Also one smith in a village sw of novigrad.
One of many bugs that are not fixed and probably never gonna be fixed. Try to meditate and you should be able to talk to them again.

Another problem that appeared also recently is that forward arrow makes geralt move first to the side then resume going forward. As if pc thinks fwd button is right/left button, then remembers its not and keeps working normally. It happens only when im still.
Have no idea. It has never happened to me.

veskoandroid

Educated
Hmmm a relief to hear its a bug, but i just arrived on skellige and the barrels, crates on shore also cant be interacted with/looted, except they SHOW "loot" when near them, but nothing happens when pressing E button... Is that also bug?

Heres a demo of how it works if fwd arrow button is pressed. https://app.box.com/s/8x272k29dlots7amfve0d18m51tbz79q

Ps meditated, no change.

Edit: it isnt a bug after all. I have a backup copy of vanilla install and these 2 bugs aren't there. So its a mod or smtn...

Last edited:

donkeymong

Scholar
If you go down the alchemy path who the fuck keeps healing with potions when you can pop a decocotion and heal through stamina. Even without it, with high levels of toxicity and that fucking perk that heals every time you pop a potion you can heal like crazy and tank with your face almost everything.

Gutting the alchemy system was the biggest fucking bullshit they did with TWitcher 3. The system in 1 worked great but instead they went the Bethesda route and simplified to shit a system they couldn't be arsed to improve. If they hadn't decided to kill the series here, TWitcher 4 probably would've dropped it all together.

Dont like it, dont take it. No one is forced to put skillpoints into aquired and heightened tolerance. Or refreshment. And there is nothing wrong with having the option of playing
a tanky witcher if the player chooses too.

Mark Richard

Arcane
It happened to me once in a while. Fixed it by saving the game right there and loading that save.

duchU

Educated
Edit: it isnt a bug after all. I have a backup copy of vanilla install and these 2 bugs aren't there. So its a mod or smtn...
It's a bug. I have GOTY version without any mods and it's there (doesn't happen all the time though). Sometimes meditation works but not always/everywhere.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Is it just me or is Blood and Wine kind of empty? I just passed through a fairly large city that had almost nothing in it. No quests, only a few dialogues, I can't even remember the name of the city because it was so unremarkable. Even the smallest towns in the base game have at least one quest. What's the deal?

veskoandroid

Educated
It's a bug. I have GOTY version without any mods and it's there (doesn't happen all the time though). Sometimes meditation works but not always/everywhere.
Well whatever it is, i can interact with them trouble free and move normally in vanilla game, so back to mods reinstall for me. Honestly, as beautiful this game is, its the most painful to mod of all the games ive ever played. Bg wasn't that hard with bgt and whatnot megamods. So many different stuff to copy to and input. Oh well.

Ps oh yeah i also have goty 1.31.

Edit: lol. The culprit for merchants interaction was, irony, no interaction for useless npcs! The mod decided that square merchants are useless.
Had to start reinstalling the game to. Discover that.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Terrific game, truly. Terribad combat, exploration and filler are tolerable, since the game keeps showing us whats the medium capable of when you combine good writing and visuals. Voice acting also helps, but that's become pretty standard by now. Biggest problem of voice acting in games comes from lackluster/no direction. I'm pretty sure voice acting would be improved a ton, if a theater director was hired to work with the actors, and I'm quite sure almost nobody does that. But, since it seems to work like this, I doubt anyone will bother for quite some time. That all aside - I feel like I must repeat myself again, there's so much that could be improved, and would improve the game immensely, but at the sorry state of decline we are at, Witcher 3 is a true jewel and a glimmer of hope.

Now, onto some personal :negative: - I just can't enjoy Gwent :(

I've been playing the standalone for a past month, and its pretty god damn terrific. So god damn terrific it makes in-game Gwent look like a piece of shit waste of time, and certainly makes it impossible to enjoy. :( I'm collecting all the cards anyway, but I'm far from playing it for reals - set Gwent difficulty to easy, and i just tossed strongest cards in my deck. Rushing everything I come across, and no signs its gonna change, which I find rather shameful since I had tons of fun with Arcomage back in my glorious childhood. Sadly, I just feel like i cant fake the enthusiasm, and set to hard difficulty, since I'm already playing the improved version on hard, daily.

Hm. Now that I think about it, any of you guys heard any news of standalone Arcomage?

odrzut

Arcane
Regarding voiceovers they have direction, the problem is in the way they record everything. To save money they have actors come to some recording studio indepenedently, and record a few hours of lines in one go. A few minutes per line. They don't know what exactly happened in the game so far, or even how the line they are responding to sounded, just the line and one sentence of the context, then go to the next line.

If they had to record hundreds of hours of lines doing it the way they do it in real movies - with actors in the same room, talking to each other - it would be much better, but also would cost fortune.

duchU

Educated
Terrific game, truly. Terribad combat, exploration and filler are tolerable, since the game keeps showing us whats the medium capable of when you combine good writing and visuals. Voice acting also helps, but that's become pretty standard by now. Biggest problem of voice acting in games comes from lackluster/no direction. I'm pretty sure voice acting would be improved a ton, if a theater director was hired to work with the actors, and I'm quite sure almost nobody does that. But, since it seems to work like this, I doubt anyone will bother for quite some time. That all aside - I feel like I must repeat myself again, there's so much that could be improved, and would improve the game immensely, but at the sorry state of decline we are at, Witcher 3 is a true jewel and a glimmer of hope.

Now, onto some personal :negative: - I just can't enjoy Gwent :(

I've been playing the standalone for a past month, and its pretty god damn terrific. So god damn terrific it makes in-game Gwent look like a piece of shit waste of time, and certainly makes it impossible to enjoy. :( I'm collecting all the cards anyway, but I'm far from playing it for reals - set Gwent difficulty to easy, and i just tossed strongest cards in my deck. Rushing everything I come across, and no signs its gonna change, which I find rather shameful since I had tons of fun with Arcomage back in my glorious childhood. Sadly, I just feel like i cant fake the enthusiasm, and set to hard difficulty, since I'm already playing the improved version on hard, daily.

Hm. Now that I think about it, any of you guys heard any news of standalone Arcomage?
I like Gwent myself. I don't like what they have done with it in standalone version (I have mostly shitty tablet look in mind). And about Arcomage - I think they released standalone version back in the day.

v1rus

Arcane
Regarding voiceovers they have direction, the problem is in the way they record everything. To save money they have actors come to some recording studio indepenedently, and record a few hours of lines in one go. A few minutes per line. They don't know what exactly happened in the game so far, or even how the line they are responding to sounded, just the line and one sentence of the context, then go to the next line.

If they had to record hundreds of hours of lines doing it the way they do it in real movies - with actors in the same room, talking to each other - it would be much better, but also would cost fortune.

Yeah, I thought of something like this some time ago. The biggest problem with this method seems that they don't repeat lines for the budget reasons. Let me get into bit more detail - it can seriously hurt the flow acting with the way they are doing it. Example - you have a dialog tree, you take some choices and you piss of the NPC, which brings you to the main dialog tree. And hes' gonna repeat the line he said the last time, in the same tone/mood/actor magic. This is merely an example to illustrate the problem, not the depth it reaches. And of course, having to act without context is suicidal. The buildup isn't for the audience only, its also a must for actors. Still, sadly, VA is the last of our concerns at the moment.

I like Gwent myself. I don't like what they have done with it in standalone version (I have mostly shitty tablet look in mind). And about Arcomage - I think they released standalone version back in the day.

Well, they have really upgraded the systems of the game, and the difference is amazing. UI is kinda clunky, but its gonna get reworked soon enough. Don't get me wrong. I'd worsphip ingame Gwent incredibly, if I didnt already get used to its improved version.

Now, i remember that Arcomage game, was mostly joking. But, I'd pay for a Arcomage you can play vs other players, thats for certain. Fucking loved that game.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
Playing through Shadow of Mordor recently and that combat was more witcher then the witcher.

Quillon

Arcane
Witcher 3's combat is not good but its better than fucking QTE-fest SoM/Batman.

Israfael

Arcane
Finished the game on 2nd highest difficulty mode, should probably have chosen the last one (but W2 taught me not to do that). 69 hrs, did not do DLCs yet, visited probably half of the locations.

- Overall better experience as compared to W2, much better controls and it looks like as if it were made by the team who developed W1, not W2 (in terms of graphics, controls and alchemy)

- Despite the improvements, gameplay is quite shalllow and dull, if it weren't the plot and Gwent, game would be super boring after 10-15 hours. Alt spam to the victory + alchemy + cat set for easy bosses. Some potions feel more useful now, but still not as impactful as in W1. On the other hand, each mob now has a hitbox and gets hit if you swing the sword and it passes through it. Geralt can jump now - huge upgrade!

- First 4/5th of the game are much better than the last fifth, it's simply devolving into Bioware-like 'collect your friends & defeat the invaders' and goes downhill from that point. You basically jump between plot-points and watch cutscenes onwards from that (not unlike in W2). I get it's the culmination of the plot, but the difference is just jarring as compared to the first 4/5th of the game.

- It's actually quite neat that many quests and plot decisions are related to each other (like all Dijkstra-related quests or things you do to Keira in Velen) and tie in into the main plot or secondary quests.

- Nice to see some silliness back (like Dandelion's quests, frying pan quest and the things related to 'chicken claws' guy that killed his father), it was severely lacking in that department in W2

- Game actually runs quite smoothly, it seems it improved a lot in between 2015 and today

- Some characters are too developed, in my opinion - even if we get Geralt's amnesia into the perspective, it still makes no sense he actually partners with Avallac'h (as far as I remember, he knew that Avallach was actually after Lara Dorren), also changes to Yennifer's character and Dijkstra's inexplicable return from the south - all that sounds implausible. But most people did not read the books, so I guess it does not matter.

- Huge decline - no Field Marshal Duda in the game (instead of him we get a gay, backstabbing lesbian granny owl)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom