Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Um in case you already missed it, BioWare is already dead. Hell they already dismantled everyone from BioWare Montrel. Which WAS BioWare. There's nothing left lol.

Sentinel

Arcane
No, BioWare's main studio is BioWare Edmonton (who's doing Anthem). Montreal was merely a support studio. ME:A was their first game.

It doesn't really matter that much because BioWare as a brand will get killed off soon after Anthem releases and the Austin studio most likely renamed.

primalsplit

Literate
Man I'm still playing Blood&Wine, finished the main quest and there are a few side quests left. Made a seperate save when the game tells you before the shit starts to hit the fan, so that I can play with the other route. I have finished Blood&Wine
gone through the fairyland, killed the emo vampire detlaff, united the sisters and achieved the happiest ending.

But my question is, is it worth playing through the other route as well? That interesting -obviously the vampire from the trailers- houseowner lady and the ancient vampire thing sounds interesting too. What are your opinions?

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
No, BioWare's main studio is BioWare Edmonton (who's doing Anthem). Montreal was merely a support studio. ME:A was their first game.

It doesn't really matter that much because BioWare as a brand will get killed off soon after Anthem releases and the Austin studio most likely renamed.

Anthem. heh. More like dirge amirite or amirite?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Man I'm still playing Blood&Wine, finished the main quest and there are a few side quests left. Made a seperate save when the game tells you before the shit starts to hit the fan, so that I can play with the other route. I have finished Blood&Wine
gone through the fairyland, killed the emo vampire detlaff, united the sisters and achieved the happiest ending.

But my question is, is it worth playing through the other route as well? That interesting -obviously the vampire from the trailers- houseowner lady and the ancient vampire thing sounds interesting too. What are your opinions?

You can go to the houseowner lady and then going to the fairytale land anc achieve the happiest handing...although, I wouldn't save the Duchess sister this time.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So, how necessary are crafting and alchemy? Can I play on 'normal' (or whatever) and ignore it?

Since it's on a 50% sale (again) until the 11th I finally want to pick it up, but collecting ingredients, receipts and materials gets old pretty fast for me. (Though in the Witcher's case at least alchemy seems lore based, IIRC).

Perkel

Arcane
So, how necessary are crafting and alchemy? Can I play on 'normal' (or whatever) and ignore it?

Since it's on a 50% sale (again) until the 11th I finally want to pick it up, but collecting ingredients, receipts and materials gets old pretty fast for me. (Though in the Witcher's case at least alchemy seems lore based, IIRC).

You go for magic or sword skills then and it is perfectly fine. Those beggining potions are kind of weak later on potions are insanely good which can easily give you 50% +damage or more if you stack various other potions.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But honestly if you don't play on a harder difficulty and therefore never use potions, it'd be better to just watch the game on youtube. It will save your left mouse click the trouble

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You may be right. I actually did this with part 2, after playing part 1.

I thought it would be fun exploring the 'open world' myself though. (And making 'my own' decisions, of course.)

I'll sleep on it.

I want a world where I get full xp no matter what my level is from both creatures and quests

no cap for equipment

fixed levels for creatures (they may level up with me until I reach a certain level). Example: a downer will be at best level 5 then they will stop rising on levels, apart from some exceptional downers that will be able to surpass that threeshold and reach 6-7 but it should happen like 1 times on 10000 downer spawned

Is there such a mod?

Silva

Arcane
Hey bros, I'm having my ass handed to me by most bosses. I'm level 6 wall-banging a cockatrice right now (Shrieker or something). Any general tips? Playing on hard.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey bros, I'm having my ass handed to me by most bosses. I'm level 6 wall-banging a cockatrice right now (Shrieker or something). Any general tips? Playing on hard.
Build potions and bombs that "fit" them and don't fight them if they are too higher level than you

Parabalus

Arcane
Build potions and bombs that "fit" them and don't fight them if they are too higher level than you

If you want to brute force higher level content spec igni burning talent, it does % max hp. Bit boring though.

Starwars

Arcane
I've been replaying this lately, what a giant beast of a game it is.

I'm a bit into Blood and Wine now. Can't help but feel it is a bit disappointing... it's *such* a nice shame when you first get to Toussaint. It's truly beautiful and has a wonderful atmosphere to it. But the content never really rises to a level of excellence, it's just not very interesting.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Obtain the target's bestiary entry. Quest monsters have their entries unlocked during the course of the quest and aren't missable (much to my chagrin), but if you want to take a stab at an unaffiliated beastie, open every book you can find.

The beastiary tells you what class of monster it is (Insectoid, Ogrid, etc) and what spells/oils/bombs its susceptible to. Obtain recipes for as many of these as you can. If you don't have the monster's entry unlocked, use similar monster types or their appearance as a reference point. Hunt down the herbs to brew the necessary potions, or simply find the nearest halfling hopped up on mushrooms and buy his stock.

Smear oils on your sword before engaging. Bombs are time consuming to throw and limited, so get the monster's pattern down before picking your opening. Be careful the resulting explosion doesn't hit you. Keep your equipment in top shape to prevent it from turning into a foam baton halfway through the fight. Chug Thunderbolt potions like a college freshman.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obtain the target's bestiary entry. Quest monsters have their entries unlocked during the course of the quest and aren't missable (much to my chagrin), but if you want to take a stab at an unaffiliated beastie, open every book you can find.

The beastiary tells you what class of monster it is (Insectoid, Ogrid, etc) and what spells/oils/bombs its susceptible to. Obtain recipes for as many of these as you can. If you don't have the monster's entry unlocked, use similar monster types or their appearance as a reference point. Hunt down the herbs to brew the necessary potions, or simply find the nearest halfling hopped up on mushrooms and buy his stock.

...in Witcher 1.

Sadly in Witcher 2 and 3 that's entirely unnecessary. Unless fighting spectres maybe.

Perkel

Arcane
...in Witcher 1.

Sadly in Witcher 2 and 3 that's entirely unnecessary. Unless fighting spectres maybe.

To be needed in Witcher 1 you need to play on hard and even then you can still play without them because just like TW3 you have different talent trees and you could make yourself so fucking good mage that everything would implode before you.

Alchemy is important in every TW but they start from different point.
TW1 alchemy is front loaded and you need to use some of the potions because this was your only way for healing.
TW2 alchemy was weird. One one hand you had powerful effects but on other hand you had fucked up time management where you had like 10 minutes or more and you prayed no cutscene would ensue because time didn't wait for that.
TW3 alchemy starts the weakest giving you mild upgrade but it actually grows properly giving you incentive to hunt for those new mixtures types. But it is much more situational because how short those bursts are and how little of them you have but you can use them in combat.

Overall imo each alchemy system isn't perfect but the most interesting system was in TW1 just not realized to full extend.

Toxicity was supposed to be limiting factor so you can't over-buff yourself to point of omnipotency and developers seems to forget about that feature and try to hop around problems that have already answer in toxicity system. So they hoop around problem of potions time when they have toxicity that limits overuse and stacking.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, playing for the first time, I had plenty of trouble winning against the Beast even on normal. I remember all hounds potentially being deadly without enough care.
Hanged Man's oil also changed the difficulty of humanoid encounters a lot, as far as I recall. Some places you couldn't see anything without Cat. Alchemy seemed pretty vital to me even on normal in TW1.

And yeah, sure, a mage build could trivialize most content, mostly regardless of potions (may still want stuff like Petri's Filter or White Raffard's Decoction). But that's the case in TW3 also.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yes. However the impact of various oils and potions was huge in general. Maybe they were not necessary on normal, but they sure made it much easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom