Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That and the gardener's spade.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Alright, after a play-session where I ignored them and enjoyed it I turned the question marks off. Let's see what happens.

Also I really wish the fucking HUD scale option let me actually put the fucking thing at the edges of the screen.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
what question marks??? also, I've turned off the HUD.

My glass cannon build requires I monitor health and quen way too much to kill the HUD. Wish I could. Also I'd be hitting "M" all the fucking time since the quests aren't built around knowing where to go but rather following the orange marker from heaven. They should have had a quest direction thing built into witcher senses, then I'd turn the map off.

Ivan

Arcane
I would also add

-hiking sim
-voice acting masterclass
-outstanding music and sound
-fantastic armors/fashion

Ivan

Arcane
I know it's a bit miniscule, but I love it when Geralt comments on places he's already explored and monsters he's already slayed when taking on quests. It's a cool way of acknowledging the player's previous findings in the wild.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Finished with 100% achievements. Blood and Wine was very well done. I loved the vampire dude who helps you complete quests and the diversion into fairy tale land was unexpected. Difficulty jumped up several notches with the enemies who teleport rapidly (Bruxas were the only challenging normal enemy in the game) and the very last boss fight with the higher vampire was the single best fight in the game. It was the only fight where I had to actually strategize and plan potions and abilities carefully to win. That's great, of course, but there were so many lame and unforgettable boss fights in this game that barely felt like bossfights. It's kind of disappointing that "Blood and Wine" is finally evidence that CDPR can design good boss encounters if they want, but chose not to for 99% of the game.

All in all, the game had really excellent DLC content that was much better designed than most of the main game. Probably some of the best DLC I've ever played. Velen and Skellig Islands were great, though, even if Novigrad was dull. I think my OCD urge to do everything made the game a bit worse than it had to be. If anyone is playing for the first time and doesn't care about doing everything, I'd recommend ignoring most sidequests and just doing the main quests. There is still like a 60-70 hour game in there if you only play the main quests, which is massive.

I might play it again one day. I've started reading the books, so if I get super into them or the upcoming TV show, it might draw me back. But this playthrough took 165 hours, so I've had my fill for now.

As a side note: I didn't realize until literally the end of the game (when I was trying to start a New Game+ game) that Steam does not auto-install all of the free DLC. All steam installs is the main game and the 2 paid DLC. You have to install all the rest by hand, including New Game +. There doesn't seem to be too much that I missed, but it kind of pissed me off as the free DLC does include some quests, Gwent cards, and story content that you will miss out on if it's not installed.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Finished with 100% achievements. Blood and Wine was very well done. I loved the vampire dude who helps you complete quests and the diversion into fairy tale land was unexpected. Difficulty jumped up several notches with the enemies who teleport rapidly (Bruxas were the only challenging normal enemy in the game) and the very last boss fight with the higher vampire was the single best fight in the game. It was the only fight where I had to actually strategize and plan potions and abilities carefully to win. That's great, of course, but there were so many lame and unforgettable boss fights in this game that barely felt like bossfights. It's kind of disappointing that "Blood and Wine" is finally evidence that CDPR can design good boss encounters if they want, but chose not to for 99% of the game.

All in all, the game had really excellent DLC content that was much better designed than most of the main game. Probably some of the best DLC I've ever played. Velen and Skellig Islands were great, though, even if Novigrad was dull. I think my OCD urge to do everything made the game a bit worse than it had to be. If anyone is playing for the first time and doesn't care about doing everything, I'd recommend ignoring most sidequests and just doing the main quests. There is still like a 60-70 hour game in there if you only play the main quests, which is massive.

I might play it again one day. I've started reading the books, so if I get super into them or the upcoming TV show, it might draw me back. But this playthrough took 165 hours, so I've had my fill for now.

As a side note: I didn't realize until literally the end of the game (when I was trying to start a New Game+ game) that Steam does not auto-install all of the free DLC. All steam installs is the main game and the 2 paid DLC. You have to install all the rest by hand, including New Game +. There doesn't seem to be too much that I missed, but it kind of pissed me off as the free DLC does include some quests, Gwent cards, and story content that you will miss out on if it's not installed.

Surprised you are negative on sidequests. I will grant that the PoI's are unnecessary and the game would be better without them (or at least without them being marked on the map, thankfully it can be disabled), but sidequests themselves - I enjoyed pretty much all of them thanks to writing and characters. Even the probably simplest fetchquest in the game - "get the black pearl" - sticks in memory for its writing.
And Novigrad had most of Dijkstra, and Dijkstra being the funny motherfucker that he is, made Novigrad anything but dull for me.

Agree with the rest.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Witcher 3, the pinnacle of gaming to this day. Objectively speaking, there is nothing greater than it. Sure, it is not a pure RPG, but it does not matter, what it offers is unsurpassed, and AAA develoepers don't seem to rush to surpass it given their disdain for single player games and their Twitch edgelord garbage audience they keep cultivating these days.

Let's hope CDPR can keep advancing the formula in the following years. Because there is no other left to do it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Weird, GOG Galaxy installs that content automatically (and is the version you should have bought by the way, you DRM cocksucker!).

Falksi

Arcane

Pretty much my take on it.

There really is no need for a game to be that big & full of so many similar, lacklustre quest. When you play the expansions & the smaller, tighter areas of the main game it really shines & shows how it should all have been done.

Paul_cz

Arcane

There really is no need for a game to be that big & full of so many similar, lacklustre quest. When you play the expansions & the smaller, tighter areas of the main game it really shines & shows how it should all have been done.

They already made two games according to your specifications.
This time, they wanted to give an open world a try, to more "fully" simulate the feeling of being a Witcher - guy who travels from village to village, solving problems, kicking ass and taking names.
Of course it is ok if whoever doesn't like it, though personally I am glad they went for it.

Falksi

Arcane

They already made two games according to your specifications.
This time, they wanted to give an open world a try, to more "fully" simulate the feeling of being a Witcher - guy who travels from village to village, solving problems, kicking ass and taking names.
Of course it is ok if whoever doesn't like it, though personally I am glad they went for it.

Yeah that's fair enough. And at least TW3 shows the contrast to the previous games.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Fell down a cellar in Novigrad earlier today, which lead to a sewer, which lead to a morgue. Shame I had to reload, because all the booze I ever wanted was mine. Funny finding tons of beer and dwarven spirits among cadavers. Real professional.

^Bethesda-learned environmental storytelling about the dangers of alcoholism.
:gumpyhead:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom