Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I think the writer's intentions are more of a dealbreaker for me when it comes to characterization. Geralt is cool because you don't feel guilty when asking for compensation for your tasks; most of the times that's the "you're a greedy bastard" option in rpgs, and in the grand scheme of things, it's quite obvious that 90% of the writers don't want you to be the greedy bastard (becase being straight evil is not a matter of discussion). And that's one detail. Gender or sex don't really bother me, it's nice to spend certain ammounts of time watching a girl jogging in yoga pants, but I'm not "intimidated" by the opposite. Lara Croft is as cool as Duke Nukem.

That said, I do like some "flavor" here and there:

19:00

Laura Bailey is my waifu

Also do the Bloodraynes hold up? That's a series I've never tried.

pippin

I only have the first one, and haven't completed it yet, but it's fun. levels aren't really big or open, but there are secrets in them, and you have neat combos and vampire powers and stuff. you'll probably want a controller, though. just don't watch the movies :M

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Bloodrayne 1 is still crazy awesome fun. Except for the mecha missions but there's only two of them, IIRC. It did the "unstoppable killing machine"-part very well. Nothing like mowing down nazis while dual-wielding MG42s.

For some god-forsaken reason the sequel ditched gunplay almost completely - the blood guns are almost pointless so it's pure hack'n'slash. I didn't like it much.

And for the longest time I thought they had gotten Jenna Jameson to voice Rayne as they sound exactly the same.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'd play a modern remake of Bloodrayne with a blade mode/dismemberment system like Revengeance.

I played only the demo of the sequel and it was p. shitty.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I have never played as a women, but one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women."

I'm convinced that the people with that attitude are really closet fags who DO get turned on by a man's ass (as well as being a reality-bent psychomotherfucker for letting a computer generated caricature turn them on), and are just scared that if the truth came out that they jack off over their bros' Facebook selfies, they'd get their asses kicked.
When I play with a male character I don't feel any kind of arousal.

Or whether you play as a man, woman, goblin or an alien monster doesn't really mean anything, no matter what Freud says.
You're wrong.

hell bovine

Arcane
In most cases i would agree, but not in all. It is difficult. In the witcher world it would be alienating for me. But i Tomb Raiders i have no problem, despite i never played them (perhaps this is also the reason why i never played Tomb Raider).
It seems that if i have choice, then i play always a male. This might be the reason why i support the choice to play a male or a female in games.

It is more than personal taste and player habits here, never, ever, ever force someone to play with another character after you spending 90% of the time with other character. That part on Witcher 2 where you don't play as Geralt was absolutely jarring, I couldn't wait to that bullshit to stop and I return to play the game. I hated that shit because the game didn't stabilished that playing with other characters would happen since the start so the feeling I had was that the train just made a sudden full stop and I were thrown out of the window when that bullshit started, especially as there was absolutely no storyline reason for that. If they plan to make you play as Ciri, her storyline must be really, really important, she must do something that Geralt couldn't really do so there is a decent reason for we to play with her and a good chunk of the game must be given to her since the BEGINNING.
But that applies only if your current fanbase generates the sales you want. If CDProject were satisfied with how well Witcher did on the market, they wouldn't experiment with the formula. I haven't bought (or played, though I got them as a gift) the previous games, because Gboy is not the sort of character that I'd enjoy playing. But if they'd swap him for Ciri, even though I didn't like her in the books much, I'd buy the game. So it's a question of whether Ciri can become more popular than Geralt. My guess is, depends on the marketing; it's not as much about her being a female character, as her being a teenage female character.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
She was teenage in the books, but years have passed in The Witcher world since then, so she might be over twenty now (unless she just teleported from the past, still teenage).

hell bovine

Arcane
She was teenage in the books, but years have passed in The Witcher world since then, so she might be over twenty now (unless she just teleported from the past, still teenage).
I don't think she is literally going to be a teenager. Rather, she will be more like the recent version of Lara Croft, the "archeology graduate" who looks maybe 18 for me. :lol: You know, just looking barely legal.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have never played as a women, but one guy has said to me: "Look i play for 12h a game. And why should i watch the whole time a man's ass. It's kind of homo. Therefore i play as a women."

I'm convinced that the people with that attitude are really closet fags who DO get turned on by a man's ass (as well as being a reality-bent psychomotherfucker for letting a computer generated caricature turn them on), and are just scared that if the truth came out that they jack off over their bros' Facebook selfies, they'd get their asses kicked.
When I play with a male character I don't feel any kind of arousal.
So you are a homo and you don't feel any kind of arousal. It's ok. I'm a straight white privileged men in europe and i also don't feel any kind of arousal if i play (nearly always) a men. But i'm also a very visual person that despite his knowledge that this are nothing more then unreal characters, is influenced by female figures. It is interesting how this mechanism work and why they work.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always play dwarfs when a game allows me to because I am aroused by them. Alternatively I get horses for my characters, because they are extremely sexy. Unfortunately few RPGs have mountable horsies :( The worst thing ever that happened to me was in Sacred:

D5432B755E363ADCEBA657C3AEFBFDE539B84C57

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Or whether you play as a man, woman, goblin or an alien monster doesn't really mean anything, no matter what Freud says.
You're wrong.
Oh wow, you totally convinced me.
Saying "doesn't really mean anything" is wrong since one of (if not the) biggest criterias for character creation is how to appeal a desired target audience.
Which is a different thing from making claims that your character is proof of your sexual deviancy (or lack of). Dude playing a dude is not gay and a dude playing a girl is not a wannabe-tranny.

Darkzone

Arcane
I always play dwarfs when a game allows me to because I am aroused by them. Alternatively I get horses for my characters, because they are extremely sexy.
Ahh Dwarfophilie (i don't know the real word for it, and i don't really want to know it). Then you like "Snow white and the seven dwarfs". Here for your enjoyment some roleplaying dwarfs:
kOsvH.jpg

CDP takes only additional 3 months before release, and this is doubling the time for finding and erasing bugs. And i find their reasons for doing this, good.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I few days ago I talked with a guy I know, he works in Warsaw near CDP HQ. When the news hit about the delay he went to them to ask "What the fuck?". The guy he talked with told him that while the PC version is pretty much ready they are having problems with optimization on the consoles.

Perkel

Arcane
Also it is open world game... big at that. They probably have ton of bugs everywhere so they probably don't want to release after half a year enchanced edition.

Also if they score well this may be great moment for them and gates of money could flow for them.

Darkzone

Arcane
If it is in a very good state and nearly bug free, then we talk about sale numbers of around 10-15 Million (if not more) for 30 bucks, and perhaps the first major good new generation console game. So 3 months more for debugging is a very good investment, because in the end it could mean 2-5 Million more sales. But as the experience shows us CDP will release nonetheless a enhanced edition a half a year later, which is also not bad because this was always free for the previous buyers.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If it is in a very good state and nearly bug free, then we talk about sale numbers of around 10-15 Million (if not more) for 30 bucks, and perhaps the first major good new generation console game. So 3 months more for debugging is a very good investment, because in the end it could mean 2-5 Million more sales. But as the experience shows us CDP will release nonetheless a enhanced edition a half a year later, which is also not bad because this was always free for the previous buyers.
10 million in sales... When DA:I doesn't even brake the top ten sales wise at release. You be slightly delusional good sir

Darkzone

Arcane
10 million in sales... When DA:I doesn't even brake the top ten sales wise at release. You be slightly delusional good sir
KemOsabe your point of critique is very good. And Ok i could say that this are very optimistic numbers if not delusional, but i have several points for this optimism.
1) TW2 sold over 5mn times alone on PC. (Over a periode of few years.)
2) Currently the next gen. consoles do not have (or very few) good 'bug free' products. (People are waiting for a product to break this trend.)
3) This kind of cRPGs are becoming more accepted, since Skyrim (that i would not call an real rpg).

Currently we don't have the sale numbers of DA:I, but BioWare states that their sale numbers are good. Skyrim sold alone in 48h for a value of $450mn, and over the years for over 20mn copies. If we take now my 10mn-15mn for 30 bucks, then we have a number over the years between $300mn to $450mn. Now that does look anymore so 'far fetched' like before, especially since i also expect for DAI a $500mn in the time of the first year.

Now i hope you understand my optimism, even if you don't agree.

Darkzone

Arcane
But that's not true. W1 and W2 both sold in about 3 mln units. On consoles and PC.
I use the Wikipedia Site for my source, therefore mistakes are very possible.
For TW i have only the sale of 2mn copies to the year 2010. And TW2 has sold only within a year 1.7mn copies, despite the piracy for the 1sold 1pirated amount. The combined sales (TW and TW2) exceeded over 5mn copies in feb. 2013. So i do not expect more sales for TW than the 2mn and if i take the info from the Facebook page of The Witcher of the 7mn sold copies for the two products, then i arrive at the 5mn sold copies for TW2. But if even TW sold for 3mn copies, then are the 4mn copies of TW2 not so bad, if the Facebook site is correct. And even then i'm still within the right interval for the 10mn, i have just to lower the overall expectation towards 8mn - 12mn copies.

If you have better and more correct sources please name them, so i can be more accurate with my calculations. And yes TW2 was released on XBox 360, but i don't think that this had a very large impact on the sales, due to the sale number of TW, which was PC only. This is where the dog seem to bite himself in the ass: The more TW sales, the less overall TW2 sales, but also less sales on XBox 360. And since we have currently about 23mn sold next gen. consoles (PS4 and XBox One) there is a very good chance for TW3 for taking the cake, this time on the consoles.
And if CDP planing unit has similar ways of thinking, then the 3 additional months are more then good for their sales, in this context.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom