Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I think hiver is off his meds again.

I think youre an imbecile who sucks too much PR diarhea and would love to pretend its chocolate.

do you have anything else to add to the discussion other than those pathetic ad hominems?
I came into this thread just a moment ago and you attacked me from the get-go after simply asking a question as I'm not up-to-date on the media-blitz.

So yes, you have problems, mental ones.

hiver

Wait, let me get this straight, people are arguing about loading screens existing when using fast-travel?
:hmmm:
dumbfuck.gif

I came into this thread just a moment ago and you attacked me from the get-go

:updatedmytxt:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
A courtesy acknowledgement between members, hardly worth mentioning.

hiver

You dont say retard?

And this:

is an attack ?

:lol:

I think youre an imbecile who sucks too much PR diarhea and would love to pretend its chocolate.

Consider this also a courtesy acknowledgement too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Without a doubt the story presented in The Witcher 3 is simply unearthly emotive. The effect is intensified by a top class cinematic way of leading the plot that is unprecedented in games so far. Believe me that after plugging your PC to the TV no movie or series will be a match the third part of White Wolf’s adventures.

:retarded:

Skip

skip

skip skip

AARGGHH!!

Skip

skip
Because TW1 and 2 were both cutscene-less and you didn't see it coming.

I'm probably going to see this game when my brother will get it but seeing how I didn't liked both TW1 and TW2(exactly because of being "cinematic") I doubt I'll actually play it.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ban hiver.
Again.
For good.

WhiskeyWolf
It wasn't about loading screens during fast travel but loading screens at area transitions or better the fact that there even are area transitions that need loading screens. I'm fine with that but some here rather throw a hissy fit because some nameless PR guy lied to them. Oh the outrage.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a more indepth hands-on review over at CDP forums, in this thread for those interested.

There are some interesting bits here (it is two previews, actually), first the PC version preview:

Generally the gameplay in The Wild Hunt gets as close as possible to the first 2 games from Gothic series with all its advatanges and disadvantages. When it comes to the former, the game’s world is stunningly natural and believable; it simply lives.
(...)
Speaking of Gothic series I have to mention the difficulty level. If you thought that you will fear wolves while entering the fores let me explain – even wild dogs can be more dangerous. The Witcher 3 already on the Normal difficulty setting(there are 4: easy, normal, hard and Dark) is really demanding.. Without drinking potions, using signs and dodges it’s hard to overcome even a group of ghuls. After 3 hours of playing I got the impression that the normal difficulty level that I played on is perfectly balanced.

^I will believe this when I see it.

Being able to fistfight with angry mob was another positive surprise for me. It’s played just like an ordinary sword fight in TW3, without QTE sequences.

^ Non-lethal combat option is always nice.

after some deep analysis by such a PC enthusiast as myself, the graphics do not make you fall to your knees anymore. Especially considering the fact that I played on a PC worth around 2000 USD.
(...)
During a conversation with REDs I found out that the recommended specs should allow for fluid gameplay on mid-high settings in Full HD resolution.

^ That would be fine, actually.

Dice poker removal confirmed:

To finish I will briefly describe Gwent, the minigame that replaces dice poker in TW3. It’s a card game that resembles the “War” card game in its rules. Learning the mechanics took me only about few minutes. After playing one match it’s hard to say if it’s better than the dice poker. I didn’t experienced the whole “beat your opponent with a club” thing while playing(it’s described in the books) but maybe it’s because I wasn’t playing with a dwarf? Anyway – Gwent looks promising.

^ CDProjekt will milk their franchise as much as possible, selling some real-life Gwent decks? That is what I would do.

To sum it up, after what I saw I can easily say that there’s a RPG of all time in the making.

^ The greatest RPG of all time. And it is not even released yet! Oh yeah, baby. Hype it up, hype it up!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The quotes below are based on PS4 version preview:

Seems like the console version will look fine, but worse than on PC-high:

it’s worth to straighten out on very important thing. I mean that if someone thinks that the console version of the game will work on minimum specs is deeply wrong, and if on the other hand someone fantasizes about high to ultra, then they’re deeply wrong too.
The way things look it is hard to define the graphical option on consoles(from talking to a person playing on Xbox One I found out that it’s identical there). It can be clearly seen that it’s a mixture of many different graphical levels – there are moments where it shows that the developers had to reach a compromise, but there are also those when you want to say – “hats off, dear REDS!”
From time to time – especially during gallop while horse riding – you can see objects being loaded. It’s not instrusive, the draw distance is really huge and it looks good and aforementioned pop-up applies mostly to vegetation elements. I mean bushes appearing several dozen meters ahead or some small trees. Vegetation however is so rich and dense that sometimes we won’t even notice.

On combat:
no more TW2’s moments where even being far away from the opponent we decided to attach…and Geralt flew towards him demonstrating a whole sequence of leaps, spins and a cut in the end. These times are gone. Now Geralt will attack only when he’s in appropriate distance even though he’s a superhuman, agile mutant – because as it has been said before: one push of a button, one animation.

There are no artificial barriers and the duels are not broken down into “pseudo-arenas” without a way out.

Fist fighting mechanics are simple and pleasant. It’s done the same way as with a sword, targeting is identical. In TW3 we can finally play out a solid and free brawl – not more cutscenes with QTEs. If I was to compare the feeling of fist fighting to another game – I think „a mix of Batman and Uncharted” is a great term.

First thing that draws your attention and simply pours out of the screen is how cinematic the Witcher 3 is.
^ Uh-oh...

On the world size:

You can’t even imagine how gigantic the open world is in this game. I’ve played sandboxes since I was a kid, it was always my favourite type of games regardless of theme or genre – but no previous game I played pinned me down as much with the amout of content and available possibilities as TW3 had. I remember people hilariously counting square kilometers on forums and snide speculations about the world’s size. I guarantee one thing – when you finally play the game you will put down your calculators and you’ll be quite surprised. I know I felt like this even though I was skeptical about this area od development as different, often contradictory information was being spread.
Right at the end of presentation, when I had a few minutes left after finishing the quest the developers let me go wild around Skellige archipelago. I left the stronghold of Kaer Throdle on horseback and galloped straight to the vast fields and forests of Ard Skellige island. Right from the get go we feel like a small mechanism in a huge machine but a small shock starts when we open the map and zoom out. ”Yeah, sure, this island is huuuge, but there are six others – who cares if smaller…and there are other regions”

^ I wonder how packed/empty it will be.

We found out that the Prologue can take 5 hours if played capably while talking to Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz. Comparing it to my time with the game, considering what I was doing and how much more I could have done, I can easily say that players that love to squeeze everything from a game; those whoe explore every nook and cranny and pay attention to smallest details will be easily able to make a dozen or so hours from the prologue itself.
(...)
in the first hours you’re going to be surprised and pinned down by the quantity and quality of content and if you look for a complete, careful playthrough you’re probably looking at surpassing even 200 hours of gameplay.

So, if this game is good, I will not be buying any other this year.

Fast travel is indeed between signposts:

No signpost – no fast travel. Of course, there will always be such a spot in a reasonable distance but we have to get to it first while we’re not guaranteed not to meet any danger ahead.

I don’t really like Geralt’s jumping animation. It is performed in a simple and intuitive way but still it looks funny and doesn’t really fit the White Wolf’s character – it looks unnatural.

^ Ah, shit. Game ruined. And all those GOTY awards were so close!

hiver

Without a doubt the story presented in The Witcher 3 is simply unearthly emotive. The effect is intensified by a top class cinematic way of leading the plot that is unprecedented in games so far. Believe me that after plugging your PC to the TV no movie or series will be a match the third part of White Wolf’s adventures.

:retarded:
Because TW1 and 2 were both cutscene-less and you didn't see it coming.

Not really, no. Your telepathy is just your brain malfunctioning.

Im being disgusted at that over emotionally engaged disgusting cretin practically crying and coming at the same time, who even says that its his journal duty to exaggerate everything.
Its the death of any sense and reason. Negation of everything that makes someone a sane human individual.

Thats not an objective article, its a gushing gonorrhea of desire to suck up to developers so he will be called to that "press event" next time.
5 times I had been surprised and was ultimately shocked, while being left breathless and enchanted later At one moment I had tears in my eyes

But you new all that, its just your butthurt override taking over and whispering into your neocortex that you should single out one of several quotes and then pretend you are telepathic.

More like about alleged false advertising of no loading screens than loading screens themselves.
Whats alleged about it?
I haven't played the final game yet. Have you?

What playing the final game have to do with it when you have all those previews from since it was first announced to today :

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=witcher+3+open+world

- all screaming about open world and Skyrim killer and how huge the world is and how there is no separate areas and how you can travel from one end to another... in the new and shiny super awesome engine never seen before,...
- and this latest PR blitz that is directly telling you that the world is split into zones. Some gated geographically, some by content.

Contrary to what has been announced – the game’s world is not open from the very beginning(passages to other locations are closed by war blockades). Instead, access to next fragments will be unlocked along with our progress of the story – like in GTA series.

Thats not an open world.

Just look at those links, open first ten of them and tell me what they are saying.

Ban hiver.
Again.
For good.
WhiskeyWolf
It wasn't about loading screens during fast travel but loading screens at area transitions or better the fact that there even are area transitions that need loading screens. I'm fine with that but some here rather throw a hissy fit because some nameless PR guy lied to them. Oh the outrage.
Pathetic worm.

Every single time in the future you see a bag of doritos and think about laughing at it - laugh at yourself.
Its the bloody idiots like you that keep that whole thing running.

complain about how evil gaming journalism is, right?
But you suck it down at first opportunity and even try to strawman and ad hominem someone who is just telling you what the situation obviously is.

There is no difference between you or any bethesda or bioware drone. At all.

Darkzone

Arcane
Sad: not 16 hours of sex-scenes. [/sarcasm]
Who the fuck cares about sex-scenes, i prefered collectable cards. I begin to hate this things in games, that is also a reason why i don't buy a bioware games. Fuck in Mass Effect III (the only one i had played) some n...o wanted to fuck with me only because i was nice to him.

norolim

Arcane
Yeah, so this game used to be in my top 3 most anticipated for 2014/2015. But for the last couple of months the message, the released content and the things they say have been so underwhelming, that it is now just one of the many AAA action adventure games to be released in the relatively near future (meaning: whenever they finally decide they don't have the money to continue fixing it, I guess).

When they first announced this game and described their goals, I was pretty convinced they were aiming too high and would have to scale down considerably to avoid a disaster.
I'm not going to say "I knew it all along", but only because I don't remember where I said that and can't be arsed to look for it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I'm only skimming this thread but from what I gather the last few pages have been people complaining about bugs and optimization in a game that's four months away, and loading screens as if those are a big deal or as though CDP's engine works the way other engines work.

My problem with Witcher bashing is that, unlike the Bioware bashing which is basically a forum tradition that unites Codexers of all creeds to make fun of romances and other obvious silliness, it comes across as some kind of petty and vindictive Eastern European grudge match (hurr loading screens)

Yeah, so this game used to be in my top 3 most anticipated for 2014/2015. But for the last couple of months the message, the released content and the things they say have been so underwhelming, that it is now just one of the many AAA action adventure games to be released in the relatively near future (meaning: whenever they finally decide they don't have the money to continue fixing it, I guess).

When they first announced this game and described their goals, I was pretty convinced they were aiming too high and would have to scale down considerably to avoid a disaster.
I'm not going to say "I knew it all along", but only because I don't remember where I said that and can't be arsed to look for it.

Surely plenty of people have "known all along". Since when has the Witcher series ever been anything but an AAA action RPG with writing that's a bit more interesting than what the other action RPGs were offering? Come for the graphics, stay for the tits and Dethmold castration!

Last edited:

Stelcio

Savant
I haven't played the final game yet. Have you?

What playing the final game have to do with it when you have all those previews from since it was first announced to today :

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=witcher 3 open world

- all screaming about open world and Skyrim killer and how huge the world is and how there is no separate areas and how you can travel from one end to another... in the new and shiny super awesome engine never seen before,...
- and this latest PR blitz that is directly telling you that the world is split into zones. Some gated geographically, some by content.

Maybe you should, like, learn to read before making such definitive judgements? They promised lack of loading screens while traversing the world, not when you jump between locations. That's a different thing from "one large zone possible to explore without loading screens". They didn't even promise one large, coherent space to explore and they didn't promise a game without any loading screens as well (how would that be possible even? You have to load a game when you fire it up). The disappointent comes from large assumption on the side of media and players, not from actual PR lies as far as I see it. Unless you provide an actual quote from developer that contradicts, not some lazy search engine link.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah bro, there are so many awesome games coming out in the near future, I can't even count them all.

So I'm only skimming this thread but from what I gather the last few pages have been people complaining about bugs and optimization in a game that's four months away, and loading screens as if those are a big deal or as though CDP's engine works the way other engines work.

My problem with Witcher bashing is that, unlike the Bioware bashing which is basically a forum tradition that unites Codexers of all creeds to make fun of romances and other obvious silliness, it comes across as some kind of petty and vindictive Eastern European grudge match (hurr loading screens)
lol what a crock of shit. why cant we call out CDPR on their bullshits? I am potatoe therefore i have to blindly slurp all the shit they sale?

GloomFrost

Arcane

Surely people have "known all along". Since when has the Witcher series ever been anything but an AAA action RPG with writing that's a bit more interesting than what the other action RPGs were offering? Come for the graphics, stay for the tits and Dethmold castration!
The first witcher has NEVER been AAA game. If anything it was old school and had a small budget and almost no PR compared to games that came out around the same time like oblivion and mass effect.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The first witcher has NEVER been AAA game. If anything it was old school and had a small budget and almost no PR compared to games that came out around the same time like oblivion and mass effect.

I am sorry, but oldschool how exactly? What titles that preceded it were remotely similar to it, and not action adventure games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom