Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Paul_cz

Arcane
I wonder though, are KOTORs considered "actual RPGs" ?
I always considered them that, and by that metric so are both Witcher games.

You know, the discussion about what is an RPG hasn't happened for such a long time on codex.

Kotor is rpg
Witcher is not

Wow, great argument dumbfuck, you convinced me.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It stopped being an RPG when I could no longer collect these
latest

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I like how this thread is edgier than diamonds yet probably half the people in it preordered it. It is gonna be the same way the Inquisition thread was "Worst decline ever!...I am 50 hours in though".

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hummm... I think all this graphix whoring distracted a few people, this will be an RPG of the Todd Howard school of "RPGs are games whe you are a knight killing things." there is a reason why the game appeared on the Microsoft E3 conference, no way Microsoft would show a true RPG in there, too risky, someone could think they are nerds and not cool dudebros.

TedNugent

Arcane
I never bought any of the Dragon Age games, lol

Preordered this though.:russia:

GOG > Origin, if nothing else.

Paul_cz

Arcane
New big ass Q&A with level designer.

Oxenfurt is in the game, who knew

About Skellige, will it have any fairly large settlements or will all of them be small villages? Also besides the main island will we see settlements on the other smaller islands?
P.S. Can they fully and unequivocally confirm that oxenfurt will be in the game? (Yes i know that I’ve asked before and many have users have answered yes but i wont be happy until I hear it directly from the devs.

You win three 'Yes'es.
-------------

There is a shitload of stuff on level design.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34251-Developer-Spotlight-Miles-Tost

Inquisition

Educated
"In my 33 years..." geez, so this places the experience just above your marriage and kids' birthdays? Unless you have no wife and kids, no graduations or anything, so the most remarkable moment in your life were your "two days with Geralt".

This guy is older than 33. He is tallking about his 33 years of gaming.

Fuck, it's so cool to be edgy on the interwebz.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless you are a witcher fanboy like me - and to be at my level you would need to start reading witcher novels as a thirteen year-old, twenty years ago - you have no excuse to pre-order this game (hint: you should never pre-order video games). Just wait for reviews and impressions from trusted sources. I thought this was basic knowledge on the internet these days?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Unless you are a witcher fanboy like me - and to be at my level you would need to start reading witcher novels as a thirteen year-old, twenty years ago - you have no excuse to pre-order this game (hint: you should never pre-order video games). Just wait for reviews and impressions from trusted sources. I thought this was basic knowledge on the internet these days?

B-b-but! You get OFFICIAL paper toys by top papercraft artist Tougui! And the amazing game that is Neverwinter Nights! Not to mention the superb wallpapers! How could you not preoder?

Jokes aside, you also get -20% off if you have witcher 1 and 2, which is pretty good if you plan on buying it anyway.

darthaegis

Cipher
More downsyndromegrade incoming
(pics)
They've added bloom now though. So it looks better!:happytrollboy:

What the fuck are you on about, bloom has always been there!
If anything, they downgraded its amount compared to TW2.
It probably seems more apparent because it's on taverns with torches. But checking Witcher 2 tavern screenshots:
dwarven_tavern-screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

Yes, W3 has less bloom. It's not a bad thing per se though, but I guess it's still a downgrade. Anyway, what about gameplay?

Last edited:

darthaegis

Cipher
Oh, and I don't think this has been posted. From PC Gamer:
  • No Man's Land features 25 smaller towns, some of which are the size of Flotsam from The Witcher 2.
  • The game features two really big cities: Novigrad and Oxenfurt, both very lively.
  • passages with Ciri are like a linear action-adventure, not like a RPG, plays differently and more action-fueled than Geralt's passages (no inventory, no skill tree, depending on the scene Ciri has certain skills)
  • Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h
  • Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
  • All equipped items are visible in-game on Geralt
  • best items in game must be crafted
  • mutagens can be very powerful, like 40% damage enhancer for signs
  • fist fighting is without QTEs now, it's just like normal fighting with hard and fast strikes and such
  • there are horseraces similar to RDR, biggest focus on stamina management during races, you can even buy better saddles for horseraces
  • Geralts beard will grow. You have to go to a barber after a few days
  • The HUD is fully customizable. Icons and quest markers on the map can also be deactivated. Audiovisual hints (e.g. people screaming for help) will be present if you wish to do so.
  • Fluid gameplay on 1080p with everything on maximum +nvidia hairworks on GTX 980
  • game loading time is extremely short on the high-end PC
  • Ultra settings are impressive, especially the rich vegetation and character models; there can be scenes where difference between high and ultra won't be that noticeable; lighting is impressive: for instance evening light falling on vast flower fields of a parfum-maker
  • there was indeed no slider or adjustment option for the draw distance/LOD
  • They encountered very few bugs, no crashes of freezes.

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-witcher-3-details-ciri-cities-real-time-beard-growth/
They seem to be jizzing all over the beard growth shit.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Bloom was a cheap technique several years back, used to fake HDR lighting. Now that we have more advanced lighting systems with fake-radiosity etc., bloom's not really needed. It looked cheap and devs knew it. If someone keeps the look, because it's the norm, they're not terribly smart, or are using outdated technology. Not the case with CDPR I'd say.

MasPingon

Arcane
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34254-Sword-Requirement-Levels-Really

You thought no level scaling is a great idea? Well, maybe it is, but CDPR is well known for turning good ideas into piece of shit. You thought you can go into dangerous territory, kill a buffed mob using your perfect strategy, take his equipment as a reward for your labor? You can! But you can't use it until you're level XX :happytrollboy: Open world my ass.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34254-Sword-Requirement-Levels-Really

You thought no level scaling is a great idea? Well, maybe it is, but CDPR is well known for turning good ideas into piece of shit. You thought you can go into dangerous territory, kill a buffed mob using your perfect strategy, take his equipment as a reward for your labor? You can! But you can't use it until you're level XX :happytrollboy: Open world my ass.
Haha oh god, level requirements for equipment. Why I ask, why?

Paul_cz

Arcane
These actually look very good? Or these ar the screens before downgrade?

I was actually mocking dumbfucks like makabb with that downsyndromegrade comment, it was not meant seriously. These are new screens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom