Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Haha oh god, level requirements for equipment. Why I ask, why?
Fuck this Diablo 2 legacy gamey nonsense. Divinity Original Sin suffered from this too.

Also, damage and HP bloat confirmed. Why do designers do that? :negative:

Agreed on Div OS there. And it clutters that horrible inventory even more having to build a closet to store all your future garb and weapons. Maybe thats moddable.

Athelas

Arcane
They could have handled it the Dark Souls way, but I imagine they didn't want to make the extra animations for using a weapon you have insufficient skills/stats for.

Or maybe they really do think it's good design - Diablo was after all a genre-defining classic.

Fuck this Diablo 2 legacy gamey nonsense.
What about the first Diablo? It had similar restrictions on equipment if I recall correctly.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
What? Stat requirements for items are an odd thing to complain about when.... All infinity engine games... Gothic Games... DS series... and countless other codex classics have them. It's only limiting if you have to either a.) grind for items or b.) grind for stats. If exploration brings both naturally, then there is no problem.

Athelas

Arcane
What? Stat requirements for items are an odd thing to complain about when.... All infinity engine games... Gothic Games... DS series... and countless other codex classics have them. It's only limiting if you have to either a.) grind for items or b.) grind for stats. If exploration brings both naturally, then there is no problem.
It's not very interesting design. I would prefer penalties when using equipment you have insufficient stats for.

In games where you increase stats on level ups, stat requirements are functionally similar to level requirements anyway.

DS series
Technically, Dark Souls has 'soft' requirements: you can equip anything, but with penalties making them unwieldy. Those penalties are huge though rendering them almost hard requirements.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

say what? IE games don't have level requirement, there is weapon proficiency.

Level requirement for weapons is for certain types of games, witcher is no diablo.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'm talking about stat requirements which more or less translate directly into level requirement. Not so much in IE engine games it's true, but mildly similar as more exploration leads to more spells and equipment which in turn buffs your stats and allows you to use better equipment.

They could have handled it the Dark Souls way, but I imagine they didn't want to make the extra animations for using a weapon you have insufficient skills/stats for.

Or maybe they really do think it's good design - Diablo was after all a genre-defining classic.

Fuck this Diablo 2 legacy gamey nonsense.
What about the first Diablo? It had similar restrictions on equipment if I recall correctly.
Last time they tried to copy dark souls they failed miserably so no thanks.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34254-Sword-Requirement-Levels-Really

You thought no level scaling is a great idea? Well, maybe it is, but CDPR is well known for turning good ideas into piece of shit. You thought you can go into dangerous territory, kill a buffed mob using your perfect strategy, take his equipment as a reward for your labor? You can! But you can't use it until you're level XX :happytrollboy: Open world my ass.
Haha oh god, level requirements for equipment. Why I ask, why?
Because DAI has it and CD Projekt is on a crusade to show they can do better everything Bioware does:troll:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Now it looks like a proper AAA game :happytrollboy:

T8d1n5v.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
one thing I liked in Witcher 1, was silver swords felt like an important, personal weapon. Like a Viking sword passed down for generations. Witcher 2 just fucks it all up with like every merchant selling silver sword crafting designs. Plus all the silver swords lying around everywhere. I think at one point in act 3 I found one in a cave, and literally less than 10 minutes later I found a better one in the same area.

Beowulf

Arcane
Also, damage and HP bloat confirmed. Why do designers do that? :negative:

Because the players need to feel the progression. And all designers know, that they won't feel that progressing through the story alone.

You won't impress your friends saying that you killed a griffon and opened the route to village Czarna Dizura, but you will if you tell them that you killed the griffon and are now at level 5 so you can equip Curved and Edged Sword of Badassery +5 slashing. Two more levels and you can go to that quest giver with funny voice that will give you quest for better armor. You've read in the guide that you shouldn't bother exploring that part at your current level.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever the mechanical restriction, master swordsman Geralt's inability to wield a sword is retarded and should have never made into the game.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I think a lot of designers are afraid to let the pacing up to the player when faced with a long open world or sandbox style game. Most have this path of progression in mind and if the player manages to jump ahead they think everything is ruined and all their work is for naught. And yet the most celebrated open world non-level scaled rpgs can easily be broken, I remember in gothic that you can steal some end game stuff in the old camp tower without much fuss or that you can get MF Hyperbreeder Alpha just from Novac in New Vegas. Sad to see so little faith in the player.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever the mechanical restriction, master swordsman Geralt's inability to wield a sword is retarded and should have never made into the game.

True that, but that sorta logic does put a wrench on character progression now, don't it.

Tytus

Arcane

True that, but that sorta logic does put a wrench on character progression now, don't it.

MicoSelva is just being a fanboy. While I agree that it seems a bit silly, but Geralt in Witcher 3 has his memory back so we can say the same thing about his sign usage. Experienced Witcher Geralt's inability to use signs at full power from the start is retarded and should have never made into the game. Shit you can say that about almost anything. Alchemist Witcher's Geralt inability to brew all witcher potions from the start is retarded and should have never made into the game. Etc. He is just being contrarian for the sake of it.

Tytus

Arcane
Yeah, I am a fanboy of things making sense, true dat.

Then how would you handle character progression and leveling? Not having level restricted gear, but having penalties for using them would be equally retarded by your logic because Getalt is a master swordsman. Using not level but stat restrictions would again retarded because Geralt is a master swordsman. Getting rid of weapon restrictions all together but make them spawn in places you need to be higher level to even go because no level scalling is essentially the same as level restricting weapons.

Give players everything at once because Geralt is master at .... (insert proffesion) and turn it into a action game like the Ciri sections?

This is a computer game you now, not the book, there are certain things that will be slaves to the mechanic. But if you are a fanboy of making sense, let's make Geralt go down after one sword strike to the head. because his head it cracked open and he can't fight anymore. I think you would cry foul about it because it woule turning it into Dark Souls and not a "proper" RPG with stats.

You are viewing everything through the prism of the book where Geralt had already established skill level and years of experience this doesn't translate well into a system where you gain EXP to improve your character. So yes, you are a fanboy.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They already got it right in The Witcher 1, I do not see why they could not build upon that system, just improve it and make it more developed. Instead they are building upon The Witcher 2's retarded Diablo-inspired lootfest that only fits a hack&slash game.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane
They already got it right in The Witcher 1

I think it only felt "right" because how little items were there in W1. During one playthrough you had acces to 3 armours and a bunch of useless sidegrade swords that you could use to farm orens. However the part where you forge your own swords was a good path and they should build on that.
Instead of chanigng your armour and weapons you only would customise them, add more powerful runes or whatever. No level restrictions, you only need to get the enhancements in the first place.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They already got it right in The Witcher 1, I do not see why they could not build upon that system, just improve it and make it more developed. Instead they are building upon The Witcher 2's retarded Diablo-inspired lootfest that only fits a hack&slash game.
For a world as allegedly wide as Kurwa's, how is the player going to have a drive to find stuff and explore? Ok, Give Experience for exploring. And that experience could level him up, oh wait Geralt is a master swordsman. How about storyfaggotry? Meh, that's usually hit and miss. That leaves us with boob cards and loot. So basically loot.

The limited loot made sense in Witcher 1's smaller levels, and while witcher 2's levels weren't any bigger, it would not fill a game as hueg as w3, no?

Quatlo

Arcane
For a world as allegedly wide as Kurwa's, how is the player going to have a drive to find stuff and explore?

It would be fun if they added the "Hardcore mode" from new vegas but much more "Witchery"
You'd be poor as fuck, barely managing to earn enough for your food and supplies so you'd be pretty much forced to travel, kill monsters, explore and do quests.
But we all know this will never happen. We Skyrim now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom