Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I think the worst of those was Fable 1 with Lionhead Studios. I remember them going on about, a changing world that grows with you, limb damage, hair growth, open world, necromancy where you could stitch together bodyparts to create minions blah blah blah. Oh and the lead designer carrying on about how it was the greatest story ever told, the most mature and would blow everyone away.

In fact I think it was after Fable that I really began to test marketing vs the finished product and was butthurt.

bonescraper

Well, Fable 1 had a quite mature story, i was quite surprised by that. You could for example sacrifice your sister and your mother for powerful artifacts and shits. The evil path was pretty damn evil, definitely more daring than your standard Bioware crap. I undestand why they went with a semi-serious satirical tone, otherwise it would be the darkest fucking ARPG of all time.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, Fable 1 had a quite mature story, i was quite surprised by that. You could for example sacrifice your sister and your mother for powerful artifacts and shits. The evil path was pretty damn evil, definitely more daring than your standard Bioware crap. I undestand why they went with a semi-serious satirical tone, otherwise it would be the darkest fucking ARPG of all time.

Really? Bah. I never saw any of that, I quit after 5 hours of "HEY EVERYONE LET'S GO ON AN ADVENTURE BY THE WAY WE WROTE THE ENTIRE SCRIPT AFTER BINGING ON THE DISNEY CHANNEL". Who knows, that might have made the evil path even more uncanny.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
witcher3_new_screen_1.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
AMD better not price 390Non-X at more than 500 bucks. And yeah they better release that shit before TW3 hits. Ideally it would be out in time for gta5, but I guess that would be asking too much .

turul

Augur
Fable had this "I don't know what the fuck I'm playing"-sort of thing. Yes, quite surprising was the morbid story and the goofy looking characters. It was something like Winnie The Pooh rips apart the donkey in one of the episodes, because he is hungry and there isn't any honey left. But otherwise all the characters are cute as shit.

hiver

The signs in the game are bullshit completely unrelated to the book canon anyway, except Aard.
Also, I haven't seen any night shots, but I assume Geralt still can't see at night without potions, even though he should see nearly as well as in daylight.

And how does the canon deal with signs?

Whats the actual version?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The signs in the game are bullshit completely unrelated to the book canon anyway, except Aard.
Also, I haven't seen any night shots, but I assume Geralt still can't see at night without potions, even though he should see nearly as well as in daylight.

Definitely not something you can spam in combat and mind tricks worked on horses, not humans.

But if he's immortal he might as well be a jedi.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Let's see...

The most spectacular thing Geralt ever did with Igni sign - he brazed a leaky cauldron.

hiver

Can i get a more detailed explanation than that?

The signs are small tricks of that kind that witchers can pull of?
What about other "signs" in the game, do they exist in the canon at all? If so what are they used for?

Gerrard

Arcane
Igni sign could produce high temperature, but at near-touch range.
Axii sign was most used to calm Geralt's horse, in the original short story he used it on some guards though.
Quen sign created a barrier that would deflect projectiles and some kind of force attacks like a shockwave.
Yrden sign was only used in the original short story to seal the sarcophagus that Geralt hid in.
Heliotrop sign was used to defend against magic or other kind of force attacks.
The Aard sign is the only one remotely accurate as it is basically Force Push, and even then the version in the first game was much better visually, in TW2 it's some kind of an energy ball.

Basically the dumbfucks at CDPR couldn't figure out how to incorporate these signs into the game without giving them combat use. Personally, I finished both games using pretty much only Aard.

hiver

Figures. Not surprising though, seeing how its an action game focused on combat.

Still, its not that huge of an "adjustment" as i first thought.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who cares about the books? The game already departed from the canon story, CDPR should just concentrate on making a good game, without limiting themselves with sticking to the original stories.

Stompa

Arcane
Who cares about the books?

Ban J_C
Why exaclty? I read the books and liked them, but they are limiting the development of a good game, if devs try to stick to it too much.

They are not limiting anything and CDPR has already shown that by deviating from the books they go into full retardo territory (like the medallion change between TW1 and TW2).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I hate Geralt's new body ... usually I don't care about avatars but this new body has some strange youthful proportions which don't feel right for some reason. It's like playing with a Guido guy from New Jersey.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Paul_cz

Arcane
Bah semantics, I consider myself fairly OCD completionist so I will attempt to do all sidequests I can find, but even I am not "completionist" to a degree where I have to have 100% in every game (Ubisoft with their endless checklists healed me of that).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom