Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

naossano

Cipher
Those open-world craps are not meant for completionist. They are made to force completionist to stop being completionist or not finish the game. Let's say you play 2 hours a day, week-end included, you would need six months to finish a single game. This is madness.

Ptosio

Arcane
More Codexy edginess than the KKKodex itself:D

THE Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's Senior Games Designer at CDProjektRed Damien Monnier has revealed new information on the influences and details of the upcoming hack and slash title.
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-Souls-big-influence-CD-Projekt-RED-Wild-Hunt

TBH I don't quite get it why, if you're going for a arcade-style combat anyway, you cannot make it proper. I have yet to play an arcade-style RPG with combat that I would actually enjoy for what it is.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Codexy edginess than the KKKodex itself:D

THE Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's Senior Games Designer at CDProjektRed Damien Monnier has revealed new information on the influences and details of the upcoming hack and slash title.
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-Souls-big-influence-CD-Projekt-RED-Wild-Hunt

TBH I don't quite get it why, if you're going for a arcade-style combat anyway, you cannot make it proper. I have yet to play an arcade-style RPG with combat that I would actually enjoy for what it is.
What about Blade of Darkness, bub? Not much of an aarpeege, but still.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Blade of Darkness was pretty amazing for its time. I love the decapitations and dynamic blood decals. More advanced than fucking Bloodborne that everyone is jizzing themselves over.

A bit skeptical on the 200 hours thing. I completed New Vegas with all 4 DLCs in like 130 hours or so, and while I haven't done everything in it, I did do most stuff. Some of Bethesda's games might approach that territory, but at the cost of having lots of bland, procedurally generated content and really shallow quests, storylines, and locations.

That is gotta hurt, impaled by that giant thing

That's what she said... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Blade of Darkness is still amazing combatwise. CDPR can only dream such combat gameplay levels.
I'm pretty sure Blade of Darkness had better combat than Dark Souls.
True. BoD is such a fucking gem. Its 2015 and none of those AAA titles has even half as good combat system. Maybe DD: DA :M
Blade of Darkness was pretty amazing for its time. I love the decapitations and dynamic blood decals. More advanced than fucking Bloodborne that everyone is jizzing themselves over.
I doubt any Souls fan is jizzing over BB combat. Seems like its strong points are level/art/monsters design, that victorian atmosphere and cthulhu mythos.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I think Witcher 3 might actually have pretty great combat, if they really tightened animations and response. The inclusion of gore and decapitations and limb removal puts it above Souls games for me.
In fact, as someone who finished Dark Souls 1 and 2 I found both pretty good, but damn overrated.

I think Witcher 3 might actually have pretty great combat, if they really tightened animations and response. The inclusion of gore and decapitations and limb removal puts it above Souls games for me.
In fact, as someone who finished Dark Souls 1 and 2 I found both pretty good, but damn overrated.
Dont forget those cinematic finishers :M and lol at decapitations and limb removal. Its automatic without any players input therefore its fucking shit.

norolim

Arcane
Bah semantics, I consider myself fairly OCD completionist so I will attempt to do all sidequests I can find, but even I am not "completionist" to a degree where I have to have 100% in every game (Ubisoft with their endless checklists healed me of that).
I used to be a completionist, until I played Assassin's Creed. Those fucking flags...

Paul_cz

Arcane
Dont forget those cinematic finishers :M and lol at decapitations and limb removal. Its automatic without any players input therefore its fucking shit.

Meh at least it's there which is more than can be said for pretty much any other melee combat game these days.
I remember Die By the Sword, now that was a GAME, but learning how to control that required shitload of effort.
Even Severance which was extremely simplified compared to DBTS I feel would be too hard to learn for today's gamers.

I used to be a completionist, until I played Assassin's Creed. Those fucking flags...

Don't remind me...
AC games are fucking worst at this. But on the other hand, in Watch Dogs I did enjoy doing some of this shit, it was a bit more interesting there (the QR codes were kinda fun).

buzz

Arcane
:oops: I have a soft-spot for useless collectibles like tags, doves, flags, riddles or whatever. I enjoy exploring every nook and cranny and sometimes some of these collectibles are tough motherfuckers to get, demanding some level of precision and shit.

San Andreas was my favorite for this. I think I know Los Santos by heart due to how many times I've rode a bike around it, trying to spray-paint all the tags. It was also helpful in some ways, findings hidden weapon caches, discovering the triathlon and so on.

Copper

Savant
I think that's the 'good' thing about collectibles - they can drive you to explore and find new content. Of course, they can also prey on certain manic impulses as well, and sometimes the level/game design is so shit there's no hidden secrets / cool designs to find.

Ptosio

Arcane

Ok, I have to admit I skipped Blade of Darkness in its times, but looking at the yt videos I see a pure monster-slashing swordfighting game, not that much of an aRPG at all. I'd like to have a proper action combat AND exploration, C&C, decent NPCs & dialogues, good variety of quests, crafting, nonlinear plot etc. I never seem to get it - when developers ditch the RPG mechanics to make place for more arcade combat, then the combat usually sucks and either has little to do with proper arcade combat from non-RPG games or is a failed, poorman's attempt at emulating it:/

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, it wasn't RPG, rather slasher with levelling (isn't it called action-RPG these days?). There was some exploration in levels, but it was of the Tomb Rider variety (however you could chose levels you want to go to next).
But the combat was great, albeit quite different from Die By the Sword. In DBtS you learn to control where you want your weapon to go, while in S:BoD you learn new combos with new weapons and proper timing. But legwork parrying and "stamina" management was very important. And those graphics were amazing at it's time - especially lights casting dynamic shadows.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
CBgb4KzUgAAgNxA.png

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/583251215766556672?lang=es

Too hot for me

Paul_cz

Arcane
It's 200 hours now?
They are saying 200 and more for completionists. 100 or so for normal people.

Sounds like it will be full of quality content!

I know you are sarcastic, but I am still hopeful that there will be no shitty skyrimesque automatically generated or inquisitionesque "bring 10 pelts" quests.
Witcher 2 had none except the feather parody quest and I doubt they would want to regress.

Ok, I have to admit I skipped Blade of Darkness in its times, but looking at the yt videos I see a pure monster-slashing swordfighting game, not that much of an aRPG at all. I'd like to have a proper action combat AND exploration, C&C, decent NPCs & dialogues, good variety of quests, crafting, nonlinear plot etc. I never seem to get it - when developers ditch the RPG mechanics to make place for more arcade combat, then the combat usually sucks and either has little to do with proper arcade combat from non-RPG games or is a failed, poorman's attempt at emulating it:/

Oh yeah Severance is not RPG, it is action game just like Souls games. But it had really enjoyable combat system and great atmosphere.

The things you listed are precisely the reason why I am looking forward to TW3 and KCD. I have hope they will deliver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom