Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Diablo169

Arcane
There is something distinctly odd and vaguely wrong about Polish developers doing hard hitting EA style promos for their games.

Alfons

Prophet
I don't understand why developers feel the need to show their fucking faces,I don't fucking care who they are or what they look like.
Instead of driving to this fucking castle concentrate on actually making the game and show me more of that instead.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't understand why developers feel the need to show their fucking faces,I don't fucking care who they are or what they look like.
Celebrity game devs are the future, or maybe even the present.

... the logical consequence of games achieving popular recognition as an art form. The public demands genius exist so that they can gather around a pedestal.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Obviously, half of the game is about fucking. It's medieval suit Larry. So there is little doubt what's on their mind about getting famous.

msxyz

Augur
Obviously, half of the game is about fucking. It's medieval suit Larry. So there is little doubt what's on their mind about getting famous.
So The Witcher 3 is going to be an hardcore version of Bioware dating sims?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
tumblr_m3jtdx7pra1r24j2po1_500.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The sex in the witchers is kind of annoying and awkward, but it's still way better than bioware romances. of course i wish i could skip it like i do in other crpgs and not to be forced to watch geralt fucking yennefer, but eh, i can live with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Witcher 3's Geralt: "The truth is, he was a relatively handsome man"
And a bit more about sailing in the game.

Two important questions for a Friday: is Geralt too handsome in The Witcher 3 - a genuine concern - and what more can we do while sailing in the game?

In The Witcher 3, Geralt is ruggedly good looking, humanised by a beard and only marked as different by his cat-like yellow eyes. In previous games he was more angular, alien.

For here is a man considered non-human - a man mutated by procedures to make him a super-human monster killer. It's a process that left Geralt with no body pigmentation, with pale skin and white hair. Is handsome what Andrzej Sapkowski, creator of The Witcher fiction, had in mind?

jpg

Phwoar.

"The truth is, [Geralt] was a relatively handsome man," CD Projekt Red's Michal Platkow-Gillewski told me at EGX. "He could have love affairs with a lot of women - that's in the books, and the same happens in our games. Looking as a monster, you couldn't achieve that.

"Maybe we were looking for a perfect proportion of his face and in previous instalments we weren't there. This [Witcher 3 portrayal] is my favourite, and there is no canonical Geralt face. It's the first time I heard that someone doesn't like someone because he's too handsome - but if he's so handsome, I'm not so sure."

I wonder if it's a way of attracting more people to the game - newer audiences.

"Hmm, no," he pondered, "but if you think he's more handsome, maybe that will help us. But it was not like, 'Hey guys, let's make him super-handsome.' We were just looking for this look where he is strong, he looks like a predator, especially with his eyes. Maybe the beard is doing the job."

Enough of beards: what about boats? In The Witcher 3 you can sail around, and we've even seen a ruddy great whale in one of the trailers.

It sounds like you'll be able to fight on the high seas. "It's sailing but you can have a fight," nodded Platkow-Gillewski. "It's something that will happen.

"We'll see if you can fight on the boat - probably it may be possible but it's a little bit tricky because it's quite limited space."

There will be other sizes of boat you can sail besides the vessel we've seen in a trailer already. More importantly, can you fish?

"No." Oh. "There was one crazy plan, and I have no idea if that will enter the game. It was a little bit violent," and involved making something with Geralt for "fishing the fishes". "But I hope that that won't be part of the game because that was quite cruel."

Can we attack the whales?

"Yes we have whales but you should not attack them because that's against our beliefs. We leave whales safe; we kill only monsters."

What about sharks? They're monsters.

"I don't think so. The waters are too cold for sharks."

Kraken?

"Err, no... At least I'm not aware about one. Maybe one will sneak from somewhere."

Fridays, eh?

Divinity: Original Sin
Instead of driving to this fucking castle concentrate on actually making the game and show me more of that instead.

They wanna look like indies, as if they're pitching a kickstarter game...

DeepOcean

Arcane
The Witcher 3's Geralt: "The truth is, he was a relatively handsome man"
And a bit more about sailing in the game.

Two important questions for a Friday: is Geralt too handsome in The Witcher 3 - a genuine concern - and what more can we do while sailing in the game?

In The Witcher 3, Geralt is ruggedly good looking, humanised by a beard and only marked as different by his cat-like yellow eyes. In previous games he was more angular, alien.

For here is a man considered non-human - a man mutated by procedures to make him a super-human monster killer. It's a process that left Geralt with no body pigmentation, with pale skin and white hair. Is handsome what Andrzej Sapkowski, creator of The Witcher fiction, had in mind?

jpg

Phwoar.

"The truth is, [Geralt] was a relatively handsome man," CD Projekt Red's Michal Platkow-Gillewski told me at EGX. "He could have love affairs with a lot of women - that's in the books, and the same happens in our games. Looking as a monster, you couldn't achieve that.

"Maybe we were looking for a perfect proportion of his face and in previous instalments we weren't there. This [Witcher 3 portrayal] is my favourite, and there is no canonical Geralt face. It's the first time I heard that someone doesn't like someone because he's too handsome - but if he's so handsome, I'm not so sure."

I wonder if it's a way of attracting more people to the game - newer audiences.

"Hmm, no," he pondered, "but if you think he's more handsome, maybe that will help us. But it was not like, 'Hey guys, let's make him super-handsome.' We were just looking for this look where he is strong, he looks like a predator, especially with his eyes. Maybe the beard is doing the job."

Enough of beards: what about boats? In The Witcher 3 you can sail around, and we've even seen a ruddy great whale in one of the trailers.

It sounds like you'll be able to fight on the high seas. "It's sailing but you can have a fight," nodded Platkow-Gillewski. "It's something that will happen.

"We'll see if you can fight on the boat - probably it may be possible but it's a little bit tricky because it's quite limited space."

There will be other sizes of boat you can sail besides the vessel we've seen in a trailer already. More importantly, can you fish?

"No." Oh. "There was one crazy plan, and I have no idea if that will enter the game. It was a little bit violent," and involved making something with Geralt for "fishing the fishes". "But I hope that that won't be part of the game because that was quite cruel."

Can we attack the whales?

"Yes we have whales but you should not attack them because that's against our beliefs. We leave whales safe; we kill only monsters."

What about sharks? They're monsters.

"I don't think so. The waters are too cold for sharks."

Kraken?

"Err, no... At least I'm not aware about one. Maybe one will sneak from somewhere."

Fridays, eh?
WTF am I reading? Wot?

Suchy

Arcane
Because...
2vNsz.gif

Alfons

Prophet
I understand now,the video game industry is moving towards infomercials.
In a couple of years you wont see any game footage,there will only be a 3 minute video of some asshole(Joshua Sawyer) playing his own game and telling you what's going on and why it's great.
Actually fuck that,not in a few years,in a few months.

Monocause

Arcane

Fortunately no one gives a fuck about you so your opinion is worthless.

EDIT: Seriously, these people put on long hours producing games that thousands or even millions of people play. When crunch comes, oftentimes they don't have a day off for months and work 12 hr shifts.

1) Demanding recognition of your hard work on a title is fair and justified. Yes, on a personal level, not only as a studio. Studios can change their entire crews pretty much overnight, especially studios owned by large publishers.
2) Considering that most devs get paid a relative pittance and long-term job security in gamedev is a bad joke, the hope of fame really needs to be there to sweeten the deal.
3) Recognition is important career-wise, gives you a stronger voice and protects you from being screwed over much.

Rethink what you just said there cause it's rubbish. Gaming industry is unfair and exploitative, burns out talent real quick (ever heard of these devs who ultimately decided to develop shit games for Zynga and the likes?) - and stuff like the thing you wrote are part of the problem. If you like games and play games have some basic respect for people who toil (did i mention 12hr long shifts and months of crunching?) their arses off to deliver them.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Monocause,you are a fuckin retard.
1)The problem with giving recognition on a personal level in a video game is that it is not a singular effort,you can't exactly know who did what only vaguely.
2)Don't care.
3)See 1.
All this shit about how grueling and difficult their job is isn't even relevant.The studio should only get respect when and if they deliver a good product until then they shouldn't get shit.

Finally let's assume for a second that you are partially right.These people need recognition,are you too stupid to read or hear their name?Do you really need to see them walking across some green vista in slow motion?
For whatever reason people can remember names of authors and movie directors without seeing them in some bullshit promotional video but these motherfuckers can't live without it.

Monocause

Arcane
Monocause,you are a fuckin retard.
1)The problem with giving recognition on a personal level in a video game is that it is not a singular effort,you can't exactly know who did what only vaguely.
2)Don't care.
3)See 1.

You're an entitled smartarse who knows nothing of the industry, apparently, and is too much of a ridiculous dolt to learn. This isn't 4chan and you're not being cool here. Grow a fucking brain.

All this shit about how grueling and difficult their job is isn't even relevant.

Have a long and happy life, dickwad. See you in a couple years time when you get your first job and start whining how shitty it is and how nobody seems to care. To them it won't be relevant as long as you ask if they want fries.

The studio should only get respect when and if they deliver a good product until then they shouldn't get shit.

Brilliant. Now, studios are made out of people and vary in size. In small studios things are obvious. In huge studios, 20 mediocre devs working under a superb lead will bring better results than 20 superb devs working under a shitty lead. A good lead in design will make bad design paradigms work to an extent, will shut down overly ambitious ideas before it dawns that they're impossible to implement and will prevent feature creep. A bad lead in design will create a mess that can possibly delay the release and multiple subsequent revisions and scaledowns will leave the game a last-minute hackjob. Or the entire project may even get axed because uncertain success+mounting expenses=bad business.

It's a collaborative effort but personalities influence many, many things. Developing a game is the sum of parts technical and creative, both equally impactful. It's not an assembly line with faceless people putting pieces together. The fact that you don't seem to realise that reinforces the supposition that you never had a job and that you know nothing of the history of video games where there were plenty occasions where a single person ran down an entire studio or made a huge effort to pull the team together and save an ailing project. Fuck, many of these are discussed regularly here on the Codex so you fail even at lurking before posting.

Finally let's assume for a second that you are partially right.These people need recognition,are you too stupid to read or hear their name?Do you really need to see them walking across some green vista in slow motion?

For whatever reason people can remember names of authors and movie directors without seeing them in some bullshit promotional video but these motherfuckers can't live without it.

In books, you have the author's name right on the motherfucking front page. In film, some crew members get plenty of exposure (directors, lead actors etc), some get barely any and are known usually only by film buffs despite having a huge influence on the end result (screenwriters, camera operators etc). In video games the only exposure you get is on the credits screen where there's a hundred names and which no one reads because reading video game credits is fucking boring so yes, that slow-mo green vista is the way exposure slowly starts to work here. If you don't like it don't watch these vids and go have a fucking wank instead.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
This isn't 4chan and you're not being cool here. Grow a fucking brain.
Problem,if I grow a brain I wouldn't bother replying to dumb pretentious cocksuckers like you.

See you in a couple years time when you get your first job and start whining how shitty it is and how nobody seems to care. To them it won't be relevant as long as you ask if they want fries.
Just like when you tell your clients it's the 8th time you took it up the ass today.They wont care and they shouldn't care.

Brilliant. Now, studios are made out of people and vary in size. In small studios things are obvious. In huge studios, 20 mediocre devs working under a superb lead will bring better results than 20 superb devs working under a shitty lead. A good lead in design will make bad design paradigms work to an extent, will shut down overly ambitious ideas before it dawns that they're impossible to implement and will prevent feature creep. A bad lead in design will create a mess that can possibly delay the release and multiple subsequent revisions and scaledowns will leave the game a last-minute hackjob. Or the entire project may even get axed because uncertain success+mounting expenses=bad business.
I love the fact that your comment contains the explanation of why giving credit to individuals is problematic.Bad lead holds back talented people that have smaller design roles or vice versa talented people make some good decisions despite being held on the leash. When you have the finished product who will you give credit to for the good ideas and who will you blame for the bad ones?

It's a collaborative effort but personalities influence many, many things. Developing a game is the sum of parts technical and creative, both equally impactful. It's not an assembly line with faceless people putting pieces together.
"faceless people putting pieces together" I am pretty sure most studios have coders.The assembly line is the final step,before that you have design followed by supervision.

The fact that you don't seem to realise that reinforces the supposition that you never had a job and that you know nothing of the history of video games where there were plenty occasions where a single person ran down an entire studio or made a huge effort to pull the team together and save an ailing project. Fuck, many of these are discussed regularly here on the Codex so you fail even at lurking before posting.
Was that person the lead by any chance? Did he mention anyone else by name that helped push through to the finally? The lead designer usually gets the maximum exposure regardless,he takes the heat for fuck ups and the credit for the highlights.

In books, you have the author's name right on the motherfucking front page. In film, some crew members get plenty of exposure (directors, lead actors etc), some get barely any and are known usually only by film buffs despite having a huge influence on the end result (screenwriters, camera operators etc). In video games the only exposure you get is on the credits screen where there's a hundred names and which no one reads because reading video game credits is fucking boring so yes, that slow-mo green vista is the way exposure slowly starts to work here. If you don't like it don't watch these vids and go have a fucking wank instead.
Fucktard,you saw their faces now,you have the names.When you are playing the game will you know which one of them did what?When you enter a cool area how will you know if that was the idea of "senior level designer" or that of a "junior level designer" or a particularly precise instruction by the lead designer that created it.

I understand the idea of giving credit where credit is due but this video simply doesn't do that.The video shows you names,faces and job titles with some marketing speech that amounts to "the game is good".
How much these people contribute to the final product is decided not only by how much control they have but how much they micromanage their underlings.Do you even fucking realize that there is a QA person in there?Why the fuck stop there?Let's show every playtester and list exactly what bugs he discovered.

I realize that you are probably a disgruntled worker that feels that he is under appreciated but this isn't the answer.Most people will always fall through the cracks leaving the big wigs to take all the credit and this shit doesn't solve that,all it does is waste the time of the people in the video and the people that take the time to watch the video.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I like that. Can we make it one of the Codex emotithingies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom