Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What are people complaining about? I don't see anything wrong with the screenshots..

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The one with the wolves I can agree looks worse than others. But the rest look very good.

In the end it's just graphics, you know.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Texture on wolf is pretty low res and the LoD (foliage distance) is not stellar.
But this is stuff that can be explained by lower detail settings or console origin of the screens.
The actual content, art design etc looks as good as always. The shot with the mountain just makes me want to explore that shit.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
In this day and age people shouldn't give two fucks about graphics anymore. The fuss about them makes one wonder if they are only looked at to compensate bad gameplay -- that the games wouldn't work if they "looked worse" than expected.

Diablo169

Arcane
Could end up being the nicest looking game ever, if the combats still as annoying as Witcher 2 I'm still likely not gonna play it for very long.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The shot with the mountain just makes me want to explore that shit.
Skyrim_horse.jpg

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On an unrelated but hilarious sidenote, in Dragon Age Inquisition the two followers you can have following you around simply dissapear when you get on your mount, which incidentally poofs out of thin air too, apparently.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
People on CDProjekt forums have spotted the downgrade weeks ago, actually. There was a bunch of threads about that, and others asking if the PC version will be different from the console version...etc.

But honestly, doesn't really matter. They will probably release a huge as fuck patch for PC to fix that. Meanwhile, if the game is good enough, people will forget and move on.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Witcher would've been good if not for the shit combat, they should've just made it turn based

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Witcher would've been good if not for the shit combat, they should've just made it turn based

I want to love the Witcher games because aside from combat.. they are pretty awesome.. C&C, Detailed Plots, Politics and Civil war going on around you and you play a backseat lesser role in the plot, Tits and Ass..

But holy shit I hate the fucking combat system..

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

I want to love the Witcher games because aside from combat.. they are pretty awesome.. C&C, Detailed Plots, Politics and Civil war going on around you and you play a backseat lesser role in the plot, Tits and Ass..

But holy shit I hate the fucking combat system..
I kinda like the casualness that creeps once you learn the op moves. Still, would be awesome if they made the game party-based (like most of the saga) with ToEE combat.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not sure why anyone thinks they would have done good turn based combat since their initial combat idea boils down to a rhythm game.

bloodlover

Arcane
The combat wasn't really that bad. It was fluent and it punished the player hard if he fucked up. Imo the worst part was not being able to drink potions during battles. Like how the hell are people supposed to guess when a fight is about to happen?

Ninjerk

Arcane
The worst part IMO was animations not matching what was happening mechanically. The potions being used up during cutscenes was pretty annoying.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
How shitty must a game be if turn based combat controlling a single character would improve it
Eh, the only reasonable way would be to make it a party-based game. Geralt usually travels with a few companions, none of which a stranger to combat. And he's getting too old for solo shit.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The combat wasn't really that bad. It was fluent and it punished the player hard if he fucked up. Imo the worst part was not being able to drink potions during battles. Like how the hell are people supposed to guess when a fight is about to happen?

I recently just played Witcher 2 on the Dark mode or whatever.. I just felt like a twirly princess.. The combat gets in the way of what I enjoy about that game.

I would honestly argue.. and this is gonna get me crucified.. that Dragon Age has better combat then Witcher.. *GASP*

Sorry.. I don't like Action Combat in an RPG.. I would take RTwP over click spamming enemies / spamming a single spell to stunlock heavy armored opponents / rolling around like a retard to dodge kraken tentacles.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

I recently just played Witcher 2 on the Dark mode or whatever.. I just felt like a twirly princess.. The combat gets in the way of what I enjoy about that game.

I would honestly argue.. and this is gonna get me crucified.. that Dragon Age has better combat then Witcher.. *GASP*

Sorry.. I don't like Action Combat in an RPG.. I would take RTwP over click spamming enemies / spamming a single spell to stunlock heavy armored opponents / rolling around like a retard to dodge kraken tentacles.

Witcher 2 was better than its direct competitor DA2 for a few reasons but I agree that combat wasn't one of them. Spinning, rolling, QTEs, quen spam, annoying twitch controls, it was just absolutely appalling. That kraken fight was one of the least fun things I've seen in a game in ages. Hopefully they've completely overhauled combat in the new game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-studio-responds-to-crunch-accusations/1100-6422841/

Witcher 3 Studio Responds to Crunch Accusations
Anonymous "insider" claims trailers and demos are overly flattering; Studio says trailers speak for themselves.

A spokesperson for the studio creating The Witcher 3 has responded to claims that the team has been "crunching for over a year" in a bid to overcome development challenges.

Writing on the games forum NeoGAF, one anonymous user took issue with others praising the Witcher 3, claiming that developer CD Projekt Red has built an "overblown" impression of the game. After the anonymous poster's legitimacy was questioned, a NeoGAF administrator claimed they had been "vetted and cleared," suggesting these were not the words of an outsider.

The anonymous individual took issue with others "painting CD Projekt Red as some magical dev studio with only the best of interests of the gamers in mind. Trust me they are not."

He continued: "The bullsh**ting with the Witcher 3 started from day one. PR is creating an overblown vision of a game that doesn't exist while the team is in crazy crunch time for over a year now."

In response to these accusations, the studio's communications exec, Michał Platkow-Gilewski, told GameSpot that the video demonstrations of the game speak for themselves.

"In principle, we don't comment on rumors, especially when someone anonymous says that it’s 'his/her word against CDP PR,'" Platkow-Gilewski said in a prepared statement.

He added: "So, PR aside, if you have any doubts about Wild Hunt’s quality, have a look at the 35-minute gameplay video we published some time ago, or check out gamers' reactions to our public previews at Gamescom, San Diego Comic Con, and E3 (it's all public and available on the studio’s YouTube channel), and decide for yourself."

CD Projekt Red was asked specifically by GameSpot if the studio wanted to address claims that its team had been crunching--an industry term for working for an unreasonable and unhealthy amount of time in the office--for more than a year. The studio did not respond to this request.

Crunch is a common and ethically complex practice in games development. Many developers, whether self-employed or working at a studio, impose it on themselves. Others believe the practice is unequivocally unfair, especially if imposed on them, due to the detrimental effect crunch can have on quality of life.

In March, CD Projekt Red delayed The Witcher 3 release date to February 2015. At the time, the studio wrote: "We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us."

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom