Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
A role-playing game is any kind of game with role-playing (the ability to make choices that define your character's personality and change the narrative in ways that are acknowledged in-game through scripted and systematic reactivity).
So... TWD is an RPG?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There will be. It's in the "Temerian armor set" DLC, also comes with saddlebags.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Unless they plan a free expansion or something in the future those free dlcs are just a PR stunt. Sure they are not cutting content to sell it as extra, but pretending they are rewarding us with giving it for free, doesn't differ much from the dlc philosophy. They just picked some stuff already in the game and called them free dlc.

"Hey if you buy half the game, we will gift you the other half for free because we are so awesome"

Baron Dupek

Arcane
FullHD-EN_001.png

Yep, horse armor confirmed.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Unless they plan a free expansion or something in the future those free dlcs are just a PR stunt. Sure they are not cutting content to sell it as extra, but pretending they are rewarding us with giving it for free, doesn't differ much from the dlc philosophy. They just picked some stuff already in the game and called them free dlc.

"Hey if you buy half the game, we will gift you the other half for free because we are so awesome"

Depends.. If the studio actually made this content after the game went Gold (which doesn't seem to be the case here but was with Witcher 2) then I actually enjoy the free patched content. I felt the way they handled Witcher 2 was great, bonus shit and mods by the devs to encourage purchasing the game as opposed to pirating it but wasn't lifted from the original game (it was made after the game released).

In this case.. looks like a PR stunt to get your sheckles.

PR Stunt > Buying Other Half of the Game with On Disc Content or Day One Fuck You DLC

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I didn't at all like the way TW2 handled the DLC, even if the added quests were a lot of fun. I guess it's nice to get some new weapons and armor with the DLCs, but not when it makes everything else in the game obsolete for half of the game. I'd rather have an added challenge than something that just makes the game easier.

Having a ton of optional stuff also pretty much fucked up the game's balance and item progression beyond repair, not that they were very good to begin with. You got a dozen different DLCs giving different kinds of free and powerful items and abilities, save imports that also gave you weapons, the Dark Mode with its own special items, the Enhanced Edition with lots of added content and equipment, and in between them about a billion different patches that all tried to fix the combat system in a different way, buffing one part of it and nerfing another and hoping to achieve something with it. The final fights of the game were always the same, but depending on the version of the game you could be a level 20-something character with a sword that does 50 damage (just pulling numbers out of my ass here) or a level 35 character whose sword does 90 damage and who's also got a Quen sign that incinerates people, an Aard sign that freezes people and an armor set that you could easily afford because the downloadable Blue Stripes jacket meant that you didn't have to spend your money on anything during the first 15 hours of the game. You could go out of your way to get your hands on a legendary sword only to find out that you've already found a better one from some random cave. I bet Josh Sawyer has nightmares about it.

Cosmetic changes (like that hairstyle DLC and Yennefer's face) are all well and good in my books, and having those as DLC isn't necessarily that bad, but yeah, a PR stunt's a PR stunt.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

This. It's marketing. They could have just put it in the game and not separate it and call it 'free DLC.' Intentionally designed so CDP fanboys can point to it and say 'OMG LOOK HOW GENEROUS THEY ARE!'

Athos

Arcane
I didn't at all like the way TW2 handled the DLC, even if the added quests were a lot of fun. I guess it's nice to get some new weapons and armor with the DLCs, but not when it makes everything else in the game obsolete for half of the game. I'd rather have an added challenge than something that just makes the game easier.

Having a ton of optional stuff also pretty much fucked up the game's balance and item progression beyond repair, not that they were very good to begin with. You got a dozen different DLCs giving different kinds of free and powerful items and abilities, save imports that also gave you weapons, the Dark Mode with its own special items, the Enhanced Edition with lots of added content and equipment, and in between them about a billion different patches that all tried to fix the combat system in a different way, buffing one part of it and nerfing another and hoping to achieve something with it. The final fights of the game were always the same, but depending on the version of the game you could be a level 20-something character with a sword that does 50 damage (just pulling numbers out of my ass here) or a level 35 character whose sword does 90 damage and who's also got a Quen sign that incinerates people, an Aard sign that freezes people and an armor set that you could easily afford because the downloadable Blue Stripes jacket meant that you didn't have to spend your money on anything during the first 15 hours of the game. You could go out of your way to get your hands on a legendary sword only to find out that you've already found a better one from some random cave. I bet Josh Sawyer has nightmares about it.

Cosmetic changes (like that hairstyle DLC and Yennefer's face) are all well and good in my books, and having those as DLC isn't necessarily that bad, but yeah, a PR stunt's a PR stunt.

Eh, I remember the blue stripes armor being shit actually. If you imported the save you could go through ch 1 with raven armor without many problems and save money. Imported swords were good enough until you found some loot in Flotsam. Other DLC items were the pants and the gloves but you could sell them without remorse of any sort in my opinion. If this DLCs items for The Witcher 3 are not forced in your inventory I don't see the problem really.

bloodlover

Arcane
Why the fuck are people bitching about? So paid DLC's are not good, FREE DLC's are also not good.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I can only suspect it's the usual Dragon Age: Inquisition bandwagon party getting restless with release almost upon them.

Nice move there, CDPR.

Rake

Arcane
Why the fuck are people bitching about? So paid DLC's are not good, FREE DLC's are also not good.
Horse-Armor/Geralt's shaving machine tier DLCs are not good, period.
The fact that they are free saves them from being bad, they are just useless (except PR bait for morons)
Now if the remaining 12 DLCs are quality content then yes, great move from CDR, but good luck having something that took effort being given as a gift.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Yeah they could have put this stuff in the game automatically but they're drawing attention to it as a way to market themselves and troll the shit out of companies like Bioware, which I'm totally ok with.

It's just like they've publicly spoken about moving away from DRM and QTEs. In an ideal world that shit wouldn't even be on the table but in this case I'm ok with them changing the narrative of how games should be monetized. If they outcompete other AAA games with these ploys it can only be seen as a good thing.

bloodlover

Arcane
The fact that they are free saves them from being bad, they are just useless (except PR bait for morons)
Now if the remaining 12 DLCs are quality content then yes, great move from CDR, but good luck having something that took effort being given as a gift.

Who said they are not good? I'd rather take cosmetics over OP items like Dragon Age 1 had. Or even worse, extra content that can't be accessed without the DLCs.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Basically this is beautiful "FUCK YOU" to all the other shitty companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision (you know, those multibillion dollar corporations) that keep nickle and diming gamers (who, sadly, accept it) as much as they can.

Sure it is a PR stunt. But it is beautiful, glorious PR stunt, the likes of which we need as many as possible.

Anyone who bitches about this is a retard.

Rake

Arcane

Who said they are not good? I'd rather take cosmetics over OP items like Dragon Age 1 had. Or even worse, extra content that can't be accessed without the DLCs.
Downloadable content means extra content that can't be accessed without the DLCs, and it should be quality content to be considered good.
Your arguement is that extra content is inherently shit so you prefer shit/useless content because you don't want to miss something of value if you don't buy the DLCs.
So you are the one saying all DLCs are bad no matter what.
Extra content that can't be accessed without the DLCs is great if the content itself is good. After all that's what expansions were, big DLCs.

bloodlover

Arcane

Downloadable content means extra content that can't be accessed without the DLCs, and it should be quality content to be considered good.
Your arguement is that extra content is inherently shit so you prefer shit/useless content because you don't want to miss something of value if you don't buy the DLCs.
So you are the one saying all DLCs are bad no matter what.
Extra content that can't be accessed without the DLCs is great if the content itself is good. After all that's what expansions were, big DLCs.

Where exactly did I say that extra content is shit or that DLCs are bad no matter what? Did you even read my reply?

bloodlover

Arcane
Again... where did I say that EXTRA CONTENT IS SHIT? Must I write a wall of text in caps for you to understand?

I just said/ment that I'd take cosmetics (that do not influence the game) instead of OP items or content that you can't acces without the DLC (quests, areas, NPCs etc). I never said that either of these are shit or bad.

Why is it so hard to understand?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom