Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski's disdain of games

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Sigh. But the thing is that within the bounds of Sapkowski's concept, a "wiedźmin" is not a male "wiedźma" (again, you have a "czarownik" for that).

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
It's times like this where I appreciate having read most of the series in French where it is better translated than the English version. The problem with English is it is usually less descriptive (but more made up descriptive) and also doesn't have a gender for everything, which often makes it weird when translated from other languages based on the gender nouns and pronouns alone. It becomes highly subjective to the ability of the translator to get it right.

Gerrard

Arcane
I mean if i would be him and be constantly nagged by people about games when you don't want nothing to do with it because you don't earn single buck on it i would be pretty annoyed too.

He doesn't earn a single buck from the games because when CD Project Red started working on the 1st Witcher game he refused to receive any share of the profit, or have any thing to do with the development, because he tough the game's would be trash and flop.

He made a shit decision, the game's made a fuckton of cash and became more famous than any of his books.

That's why Sapoveski gets butthurt evey time someone remembers him of his stupid mistakes.

Yeah but he isn't annoyed about money. He is annoyed because when people talk about his work they force him to constantly say that he has nothing to do with games and he doesn't care about them.
Especially now that he got the Netflix deal. Soon enough he will be singing praises of the games.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The problem with English is it is usually less descriptive (but more made up descriptive) and also doesn't have a gender for everything, which often makes it weird when translated from other languages based on the gender nouns and pronouns alone. It becomes highly subjective to the ability of the translator to get it right.

What the fuck is this?

Shin

Cipher
The problem with English is it is usually less descriptive (but more made up descriptive) and also doesn't have a gender for everything, which often makes it weird when translated from other languages based on the gender nouns and pronouns alone. It becomes highly subjective to the ability of the translator to get it right.

What the fuck is this?

I'm not entirely sure sir, but I think he meant to say that translators need to know their shit, or else their translation will be shit.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm not entirely sure sir, but I think he meant to say that translators need to know their shit, or else their translation will be shit.

Well unfortunately it contains statements that are wrong.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
My point was Polish translates better into certain languages that gender everything (Romance languages) than into English for certain things. In English you have to often add in words because it is a more gender neutral language. This was not to say that Polish has the same flow as Romance languages, because it doesn't. I was referring to above earlier as to whether the term "Witcher" was accurate. My personal opinion is that it kind of is and also kind of isn't. I stand by my statement that Polish to English is not an easy translation to capture accurately.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
not turn-based

shallow game play

terrible itemization (hell, don't think one could even say the game has itemization; gets worse each iteration)

below-average encounter design (gets worse with each iteration)

mediocre "level design" (i.e. areas you go to and do stuff in)

very, very shallow combat system (gets shallower each iteration)

biggest offender is the quest design though. fanbase thinks false choices within some of the quests constitute complexity or agency.

(and the quest design gets worse with... you guessed it, each iteration)

witcher 2 and 3 are like games made by bethesda if beth devs had like, 2 IQ points more... both still remaining 30 pts below retard line

good things:

all 3 games have good graphics.

music is not that terribad.

(thanks to borrowing a fully developed game world) the 3 witcher games automatically leap-frog their closest competition (bioware, beth, etc) by presenting slightly less retarded authorial decision to the players.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
when in doubt, you can alternatively simply compare FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS game systems to Witcher systems.

doing this comparison immediately highlights how well designed FNV is in comparison to Witcher gamez. same exercise applies to beth/bio games, obv.

edit: i used FNV because it is the only "AAA" graphics-game that Witcher dullards would have also played. (hopefully). both games (FNV, Witch games) are in same genre/category/whatever.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has your brain melted down completely or something? You used to make more sense some time ago.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Maybe the author inly likes crpg games and that is why he hasn't played the witcher games

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
His books are trash. There was some original idea in the first one, it became popular in Poland and Russia so he wrote several more books milking the same concept of subverting fairy tales and fantasy - but naturally became what he ridiculed when the series became all serious and emotional.

Then he sees how the game gets international recognition he never had. And turns out some Polish programmers can produce better writing than he does. So everybody and their mom could expand on his concept better than he himself does.

No surprise he's bitter.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
His books are trash. There was some original idea in the first one, it became popular in Poland and Russia so he wrote several more books milking the same concept of subverting fairy tales and fantasy - but naturally became what he ridiculed when the series became all serious and emotional.

Too much Ciri rape in last books.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Many authors sell their souls as well as selling their books.

Nathir

Liturgist
I gave up and sold the books actually. The first three were cool, but everything after it is just dull or even dumb. I dunno, I felt it was low fantasy done right. The more high fantasy elements GRRM introduces, the more shitty the narrative becomes. It doesn't help that his editor worships him like a god and GRRM now has Lucas Syndrome, no one will dare to tell him no, or to cut some shit out. I mean, consider the shitshow that became Feast and Dance.

Feast and Dance are much better than GRRM's earlier works and elevate the series beyond genre standards.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I gave up and sold the books actually. The first three were cool, but everything after it is just dull or even dumb. I dunno, I felt it was low fantasy done right. The more high fantasy elements GRRM introduces, the more shitty the narrative becomes. It doesn't help that his editor worships him like a god and GRRM now has Lucas Syndrome, no one will dare to tell him no, or to cut some shit out. I mean, consider the shitshow that became Feast and Dance.

Feast and Dance are much better than GRRM's earlier works and elevate the series beyond genre standards.
They are penultimate fantasy masterworks, amirite

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom