Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If anyone wants it, I'll just reply with a link.
Sure, I would love to have a copy of those eBoots.

Okay, ignore the corny descriptions, it was there just for kicks/testing to see if it works. I only got the first game uploaded, but I'll edit this message and put the second one in when it's done.

You probably already know this, but just make a folder with both of these files in them (Wizardry 1-3):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/39x97va921yj5wo/EBOOT.PBP
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6wh3x5uadp2zaji/DOCUMENT.DAT

Space for the second link (Wizardry 4-5):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ftm5z9ak9l5fn3/EBOOT.PBP
http://www.mediafire.com/download/iyabkv48gq0nlq9/DOCUMENT.DAT

The shitty manual was all thanks this to this page right here: http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz15spells.shtml

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Bwuh? Shows up as yesterday.
Guess it wasn't my post at all.
I don't think I've ever entered Arnika at lvl 4.
Hell, I'm not sure I ever exited monastery below lvl 5.
Well, try it. Much fun to be expected. I usually levelup right before Arnika, because with lvl8 something party road from monastery is rather difficult. Probably the toughest part of the game.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Plus Monks have some serious MAD issues. I think the only race that has passable stats for a Monk for both fighting and casting support spells are probably just Humans.

That's putting it fucking lightly. Monks require almost every stat available if you want to be effective in more than one way. My dwarven monk always was a slow starter for the first seven to ten levels. After that, he would slowly start dishing out damage unarmed. But really, if you wanted him to do ok, he had to forgo critical strike and focus on strength.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Afair the unarmed dmg actually rises with the skill, that's why monks don't really need str that much and fearie monk for example is a pretty interesting build. Unarmed monk will never be that great with dmg, they're mostly about having lots of attacks with critical threat. Unfortunately for them, from my playthroughs it seems that a staff monk is better at both dmg and crit kills.

I agree that hybrid magic is pretty disappointing, at least for monks, rangers and ninjas. Wizardry and especially piety are useful on a hybrid, but for psionics and alchemy you really need to cheese and grind to get a bang out of it.

DraQ

Arcane
Nice optimal party discussion, I must say that psionic is indeed very useful ATM. Insanity usually disables about half of the brigands that keep pestering me and unlike sleep I don't have to worry about waking them up with AOE spells. The Samurai finally deicided to start being useful when getting to the city, but his magic is a bit meh right now, not very surprising since I completely disregarded his intelligence in early game. Are there more choices if I decided to keep using two-weapons but not necessarily weapoo-swords? Daggers seem to be a good choice since there obviously should be good daggers later in game for classes unable to use better weapons.
Daggers might not be worth it.
Good ones, with %kill bonus are class restricted, and the remaining ones are at best slightly superior to enchanted wakizashi (while requiring separate skill).
If you want to dual wield, staves might be better option - Winterwand in particular is guaranteed in game, offhand capable, has neat initiative bonus and 15% paralyze.
Staves will also enable you to use certain awesome 2h staff as backup weapon if none of your primaries is cursed. Do note that your main weapon might be certain cursed sword you may obrtain soon and that wielding offhand weapon does affect the performance and amount of attacks of your primary one, so unless you've mastered TWF, "I have two weapons so I swing twice as much" doesn't hold. Trading off extra attacks with powerful main weapon for some piddling secondary ones at reduced to hit for both is not necessarily a good option when wielding a powerful primary weapon.
Bwuh? Shows up as yesterday.
Guess it wasn't my post at all.
I don't think I've ever entered Arnika at lvl 4.
Hell, I'm not sure I ever exited monastery below lvl 5.
Well, try it. Much fun to be expected. I usually levelup right before Arnika, because with lvl8 something party road from monastery is rather difficult. Probably the toughest part of the game.
But how? Unless you make a beeline for exit, but that's just leaving behind all the useful stuff you can find in Monastery.
I think I might have had those fleshy things in Arnika once when I first entered, they were tough as nails, but with decent tactics, some FFFUUUU- and support from the locals they fell down (locals and Savant's creations, that is).

Unfortunately for them, from my playthroughs it seems that a staff monk is better at both dmg and crit kills.
A bit of a question - why is it always a staff monk specifically?

Neither monk, nor any other class get bonus to staff&wand, so is there any reason why take a monk preferentially instead of samurai with Zatoichi Bo or pretty much any combat class with Staff of Doom?

Is there anything (other than flavour) that makes staff monks superior to staff anything else?

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Monks start with points in staff skill and have stealth plus crits so they're pretty much optimal for this build, but staff of doom is arguably a bit better than zatoichi so any class can work.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
DraQ
So perhaps I should go buy a No-dachi (2H samurai sword), while still investing in TWF while not using it until the TWF skill is very high.

TigerKnee

Arcane
But how? Unless you make a beeline for exit, but that's just leaving behind all the useful stuff you can find in Monastery.
Uh, just save your level ups until you enter Arnika? That way you can take all the time you want and still enter Arnika underlevel to trigger this bug.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ
So perhaps I should go buy a No-dachi (2H samurai sword), while still investing in TWF while not using it until the TWF skill is very high.
I wouldn't get No-Dachi with your party composition unless I couldn't find certain, far superior sword in Arnika.
Your party has pretty much only two candidate wielders for a cursed sword and samurai would benefit disproportionally more from it than a fighter.

This sword is 1h and TWF, like all skills, is best raised when it's actually used (because skills also rise with use), so, assuming you want TWF and do have points to spare, I'd switch between using and not using secondary weapon depending on whether it will rob you of extra attacks or swings with primary.

Uh, just save your level ups until you enter Arnika?
But why the fuck do that?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
How what? I explored monastery all right. Just didn't level most of my party.
I think I might have had those fleshy things in Arnika once when I first entered, they were tough as nails, but with decent tactics, some FFFUUUU- and support from the locals they fell down (locals and Savant's creations, that is).
That's an achievement. To me they constantly paralyzed both my party and patrols/monks. They were all dead before i could even make a scratch. Magic was utterly useless.

DraQ

Arcane
Just didn't level most of my party.
But why?

It's like making a feminist robot, ok, so you can do it, but why?

That's an achievement. To me they constantly paralyzed both my party and patrols/monks. They were all dead before i could even make a scratch. Magic was utterly useless.
I remember getting constantly paralyzed as well, so it was running into some sort of (partial? it was long ago) cover, seeing that shit wasn't going well, and certainly involved buffing the NPCs with AoE buffs and spamming earth spells (web) at cyborgs.
Savant's creations apparently are unlike AK-47 in that they can't handle dirt in their delicate mechanisms.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't level up to maximum available level after exiting monastery, because level scaled mobs are most dangerous around level 7-9. The abilities are not yet as good to breeze through all those crimson poppies and other shit that spawns on the Monastery Arnika road and there are always ridiculous swarms of them. You get barely alive from one encounter with 10-12 plants and there is already another batch waiting around the corner. And maybe a squadron of loafers to help them too. They could at least make monsters and highwaymen mutually hostile (why would monsters love criminals so much?). Given that the gear is also shit at that point i prefer to keep my party none higher than 4-5 level as monsters spawn accordingly and are tolerable.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Running doesn't help with shit stamina and the road to Arnika is too long. Don't see anything wrong with my method.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Because running all the way to Arnika, whiling cheesing by holing up in crevices that dumbfuck AI cannot into, is fucking tactical genius solution. :M

DraQ

Arcane
cheesing by holing up in crevices that dumbfuck AI cannot into
:hmmm:
Camping in places where you simply can't be surrounded due to terrain isn't exploiting dumb AI.
Neither is hiding in places enemies just going along the road don't check - it's simply fucking hiding.
I doubt bands of Higardi bandits or aggressive fucking plants would be so well informed to comb the Arnika Road for your party specifically.

Arnika Road is almost explicitly a tutorial meant to teach you a thing or two about smart camping and using consumables in order to advance and be able to hold your ground instead of losing progression by having to retreat.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't think ''blind spots'' that AI ignores even while passing 10 meters away is really there by design and meant for tactical decishuns. That is especially obvious given how aggressive this AI is otherwise, starting a pursuit from the other side of the map as long as there is line of sight between it and party and never ever stopping. Gaps that magically conceal your whole party is just a bug/flaw in the game. Exploiting this is no different than conveniently withholding a level up. Later being one of the ''things or two'' taught to me by the ''Arnika road tutorial'' (how is it tutorial?; there is nothing tutorially about it).

DraQ

Arcane
I don't think ''blind spots'' that AI ignores even while passing 10 meters away is really there by design and meant for tactical decishuns.
It's natural for the AI to ignore if you cannot be seen from where the AI is.

Gaps that magically conceal your whole party is just a bug/flaw in the game.
They don't magically conceal your whole party. The simply block the line of sight.
Do you really advocate some psychic wallhack AI just to justify your cheesy abuse of mechanics?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
But... they don't block the line of sight. There are at least couple of narrow angled niches where you can stand for centuries and everyone will pass you by even when they are frontally facing your party. Only exception is that place behind umpani safe house. Then again, the real reason why mobs don't bother you there is because they have a bug that prevents them even closing in there. You can check that by running away in combat mode and settling there. Mobs will start to retreat even though they were pursuing a second earlier.

Anyhow, i dot mind cheesing with blind spots. They are very handy. Just like planning my level ups.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Camping in places where you simply can't be surrounded due to terrain isn't exploiting dumb AI.

I'd go as far as to say it's an essential part of the game, no? It not only applies to camping, but during difficult battles you usually back up against a wall to prevent your fellas from getting surrounded.

DraQ

Arcane
But... they don't block the line of sight. There are at least couple of narrow angled niches where you can stand for centuries and everyone will pass you by even when they are frontally facing your party. Only exception is that place behind umpani safe house. Then again, the real reason why mobs don't bother you there is because they have a bug that prevents them even closing in there. You can check that by running away in combat mode and settling there. Mobs will start to retreat even though they were pursuing a second earlier.
False, I fought many a battle in those crevices.

AI breaks off from combat once you have moved far enough away from their original position.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I have fought combat in those crevices too, but that was after i initiated it,not because of your ''line of sight'' bullshit. Monsters are dead blind to some niches. Period. And monsters retreating, because game script tells ''that there is no one there anymore'' has nothing to do with moving far enough from their original position. Loafers that usually inhabit surrounding of that safe house are usually right near it and they retread like retards too.

Anyhow, i don't feel like using crevices is cheating or anything bad. Just like it's a fair game to choose when to level up so what was this argument about anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom