Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Different armor is available or not to different classes or profession. That includes cloaks. You can see these restrictions on the left hand side panel, when you right click on a particular piece.

Ashenai

Learned
Almost every piece of equipment has class restrictions. You can see what they are if you look at the icons to the left when inspecting the item. There are also a few pieces of equipment that have race or gender restrictions. That's it, though, there aren't any other conditions for equipping things.

In Wiz6 I'm now at grinding spot in Hall of the Dead (healing fountain) and during my attempts to make every party member a kirujutsu/ninjutstu beast thanks to class changing abuse I ended up with shit classes like Fighter or Thiaf :negative: And of course now I just cannot kill dat optional boss (Samurai with bunch of ninjas).

Is there any useful editor that allows to reroll stats during geam or am I sentenced to hell of savescumming before every single level-up?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Oi, if I wanted to play Wizardry 1 SNES is the way to go, right? Does it have automap?

The PSX versions have automap but ghastly rendered environments, the SNES Wizardry's have sublime pixel graphics, but no automap

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there any useful editor that allows to reroll stats during geam or am I sentenced to hell of savescumming before every single level-up?

There are a few Wiz 6/7/8 editors out there, But I never used them as I was afraid it would mess up my save files, so I just save scummed (just because in my last game I wanted to give everyone ninjutstu, which it basically cheating, I won't do it again, but it was at least amusing). :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In Wiz6 I'm now at grinding spot in Hall of the Dead (healing fountain) and during my attempts to make every party member a kirujutsu/ninjutstu beast thanks to class changing abuse I ended up with shit classes like Fighter or Thiaf :negative: And of course now I just cannot kill dat optional boss (Samurai with bunch of ninjas).

Your class levels are probably so low compared to the levels of the enemies that high Ninjutsu doesn't matter.

Yeah, mapping is a big part of the game since there are many one-way doors, spinners and teleporters which wouldn't be as interesting with an automap.

Of ccourse, if you don't want to map the game, it's fine too, but I think it's better played with graph paper in one hand and a ruler in the other.

kmonster

Augur
If you level up enough you can beat the rest of the game easily, even with only fighters and thieves.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

While I did some reasearch for my own Wiz6 run I read somewhere something to the extend of:

Many people trying to break the game through multiclassing are broken themselves instead

might have been in the GoG forums. Seems like it applies to your case.

Edit: lol, I found it. He is only quoting someone else though.

KHHill91 said:
Here is the advice I got when I talked about changing classes with the intention of breaking the game:

Do it wisely. Most players with this intention end up breaking themselves instead, spending so much time that they're still grinding when standard players have finished the game already.

Beautifully said. :salute:

Last edited by a moderator:

treborSux

Arcane
If you're going to use an editor to cheat, you can just use Mad God's and blow your party however you want. Or you can stop being a pussy and save scum like a normal person.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I'm conflicted about one thing now. On one hand it's nice to have hybrids like lord and ninja (that i have now in my party of four; will get the droid, when i get to the place) IN THEORY. From practical sense i just don't see how they could be used as support casters, really. I mean, just now, i have 11th level ninja, who could potentially learn knock-knock spell to help out my gadgeteer to open more complex locks and disable more dangerous traps. But how on earth do you even train him to have 20 (or what was the requirement for lvl 2 spells?) in wizardry, without any prior knowledge or praxis? Putting points into wizardry and earth magic would be fucking wasteful as his critical strike/polearm/throwing skills are way more important. There are are also not much ways to grind his magic skill unless you go full powergamer.

What's your experience with hybrid classes and their magical training?

Also, i think it's ridiculous that you can't go all the way with one dedicated lock pircker in this game. No mater your skill, your rogue/bard/gadgie will NEVER open locks with 5 or more tumblers, no matter the skill. Well, unless you are content with sitting and playing that lottery for several hour straight on one single lock.:argh:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I guess there is no other way than spending points in these wizardry skills.

However I recall that some skills max out before reaching 100 points, for example stopping at 60 or so. I don't know why that is, but you can almost assume this will happen at one point in the game. So it would indeed be better to spend some points on other skills.

Aside from that: I agree with the lockpicking stupidity: without Knock-Knock you're still fucked (had to find out as well). Even with huge Lockpicking skill, it doesn't work well enough. You always need both.

Jason Liang

Arcane
This is one of the main advantages of constantly changing class, to build up skill points especially ninjitsu and kirijitsu.

I'm pretty sure 6, 7 and 8 were all designed with save-scumming in mind.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ninja sucks without powertraining, so does bishop, I guess you should know that from their set of skills and high exp requirements. They're both poor choices for first playthrough and are only good later on if you enjoy a bit of cheese.

As for the other hybrids:

1. Divinity is perfect and easy to train for a hybrid. Shitload of great spells and most of them are lower level and are perfect for raising casting skills. Additionally Valkyrie only needs to pump pole arm and close combat, so she can start putting 3 points into divinity on each level up as soon as it unlocks.
2. Wizardry is cool, if a bit underwhelming. You only need to get it to 15 (that's the req. for level 2 spells) to get enchanted blade and air shield and you're pretty much done. A bit later you can get the freezing spell and knock knock. Wizardry does have some good higher level spells, but these are not for hybrids anyway (unless you cheese).
3. Alchemy and psionics are kinda pointless. They don't have any essential buffs and are mostly offensive = cheese or no go for a hybrid. Well, psionics does have one of the best spells in the game (haste), but similarly to offensive spells it takes forever until you'd be able to cast it reliably on a high dice and it's easily available through an instrument if you have a bard. Alchemy on a hybrid might have a use for potion mixing (at least 10 for heavy healing is recommended), but that's about it. It requires a ton of cheese to be able to cast stuff like quicksand on a high dice as a hybrid and that cheese will turn sour in your mouth

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Thanks for the effort, but i didn't need tutorial on basics. This is prolly my 10th/12th run in wiz8. I know the thing about bischob, which is why only two times i used him was on duo/solo runs.
Yeah, i guess i was dumb not to invest into divinity on my lord and wizardry on my ninja as they opened up.
Now, what are the first level spells i can grind to rise both of them? :oops:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Basic heal and stamina for divinity (just remember that stamina only gives exp when used in combat), light is great for alchemy and it has heal as well.

Ashenai

Learned
This is one of the main advantages of constantly changing class, to build up skill points especially ninjitsu and kirijitsu.

I'm pretty sure 6, 7 and 8 were all designed with save-scumming in mind.

I doubt it. 8 has an Ironman mode that's perfectly playable and provides a good challenge. You just need to be on the ball about dangerous situations. And, uh, not step on either of the two bugged worldmesh seams, because having an Ironman party fall through the world and die is pretty irritating.

Plus, the latest Wiz8 patch (1.2.4) actively nerfed savescumming by changing pickpocketing to use a static RNG seed. So if you fail to pickpocket an NPC and reload, you'll just fail again.

What I'm saying is, savescum if you want, but don't pretend like you HAVE to do it because that's how the game was designed, or some bullshit like that. Git gud. :smug:

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Pickpocketing is a savescum game in most rpg. I never encountered one that made it even remotely feasible skill to develop. Maybe Gothic 2. because your success rate at certain skill level was 100% if i'm not mistaking. Never played the archetypical thief char there so can't say for sure.

Ashenai

Learned
I seem to remember it being feasible in Underrail. I haven't gotten around to playing that game yet so I could be wrong, but IIRC that game has no random elements to its pickpocketing, and it lets you know in advance hpow much you can get away with without being caught.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pickpocketing is a savescum game in most rpg. I never encountered one that made it even remotely feasible skill to develop. Maybe Gothic 2. because your success rate at certain skill level was 100% if i'm not mistaking. Never played the archetypical thief char there so can't say for sure.
I did well in both Morrowind and Skyrim.

save scum like a normal person.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Damn, it was just ONE use of editor that allowed me to change classes of few party members, that's all. I beat W6 with 10 level characters wit no grinding after that... but I was immediately punished by WizGold in which I lost almost all of my precious equipment that accordnig to some walkthrough should have been imported, my avesum ninjutsu/kirijutsu stats were reduced dramatically and the whole party ended up being at 5 level :negative: I guess I should backtrack to buy some low tier stuff before importing save file.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom