Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

You will cringe every time you see the portraits Wiz Gold has assigned your characters.

Fortunately I have my own pack of custom portraits so don't have to look on those horrible default avatars of WizGold.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey guys I started a new party for Wiz 7 using the mod that makes resting faster and adds a few new areas (forgot the name) and now I am with profesor wunderland and when I ask him for the archives he gives me a "my memory has had better times" and doesnt give me the key... Seems I an stuck there any ideas? I tried charming him but he still gives me the same line

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You could try pickpocketing him or provoking him to fight you.
Come to think of it, I have som vague recollection about having the same problem, and using violence to solve the problem.

EDIT: checking my messages from three years ago, it seems I was forced to kill him, but old Ratty is a bit of a coward, so he may try to flee from combat.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Thanks Octavius I wish it didnt cone to that but why did the mod change that? It also added items like the laser spears which none of my chars can equip. For the good things like faster healing and recovery this is exactly the sort if "modders gonna mod" retarded "fixes" which make me crazy

How do you learn personal skills like Power Strike in Wzi7? Wich of there are worth the bother?
About importing party from Wiz7 to Wiz8 - is it under the same rules as Wiz6-Wiz7 (level reduced to 5, some spells are forgotten etc.)?
I've read somewhere that Wiz8's mechanics discourages you to class-changing as it is not as broken as in 6/7...True?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Definetly consider importing chars to wiz 8, even if you lose a few spells most of your skills start out pretty decent and it makes a lot of diference not having to grind for combat skills
Consider switching a char to gadgeeter (ranger or rogue work great) and as always consider a bard too

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Thanks Octavius I wish it didnt cone to that but why did the mod change that?

What did the mod change? Professor Wunderland is also in the vanilla game. You have probably been too nice with one or more of the other factions, which will make him less cooperative. You can't be friends with everybody.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I kept a backup Instalation file without the mod And I reverted to that and just asking for the archives gave me the key right away, I have just started the game over the weekend and havent even engaged an npc other that father rulae to get the holy sacrament... And using that save with the mod changed the old city key to another item entiretly so that is that maybe the mod changes faction perception in some way but that is a bit retarded; I went straight away to the condenned area and it already had the footprints on the dust meaning the map was already gone... It is not like wizardry requires extra challenge ir anything, seriously considering removing the mod

Definetly consider importing chars to wiz 8

I'll import them anyway but I'm curious what things carry over this time. Finishing Wiz7 is now I cakewalk since I broke the game...
I found an excellent grinding spot:
1. Kill Brother Tshober
2. With character that is at least at 10 level kill the remaining ghost of your victim. It's repeatable and gives you extremely huge exp boost, especially on hard mode where ther'e two of them with lots of supporting demons.
3. That way I raised my 10 level Fairy Ninja to 126 level killer in... around 2 hours? I kept him as last party member and he scored level up to three times per fight.

... and now I'm expecting to kill infamous Beast of 1000 Eyes and Fiend of 9 Worlds during first turn :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad Mighty Mouse and 1000 Eyes are level scaled. The higher your level the more difficult they are to kill.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
After playing a lot of Ultimas I decided to stop for a while and try a Wizardry (the first one), any recommendation with this?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After playing a lot of Ultimas I decided to stop for a while and try a Wizardry (the first one), any recommendation with this?

Reroll characters until you get at least 15 Bonus Points.
Max out one or two stats instead of spreading them around, since only stats of 16-18 give bonuses.
Max out Vitality for your fighters. It governs not just HP, but also chances of Resurrection spells succeeding.
Thief also needs both Agility to succeed with traps and lockpicking, and Vitality when he fucking frequently fatally fumbles.
Priests and Mages need Wisdom and Intelligence, respectively, to learn essential spells when leveling up. Low Wis or Int can really cripple them.

Play carefully, and don't hesitate to return to the city once your spells points get low.
With cautious play it's perfectly possible to reach Werdna without any party deaths. I had only one party death in my playthrough about a year ago, and that was when I didn't properly understand some game mechanics.

Due to alignment restrictions it's not possible to have both a Lord and a Ninja in the same party, unless you "cheat".
Getting a Ninja in the DOS version (due to how stats often go down when leveling) is probably only possible by activating a certain Thief restriced item.
Getting a Lord is easier.
But there are some very nice items that are restricted to Evil fighter types, so if I was to play again I would go for a Neutral/Evil party, with two Evil Fighters, one Neutral Samurai, one Evil Priest, one Evil Thief and one Mage.

And it's a good idea to roll a Bishop whose job it will be to sit in the Guild and examine the items the "field" members bring back.

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
This game is much funnier than I thought, I found the Control Room, but the monsters are tough, I have to grind more, the priests always cast Montino first.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
10612jd.jpg

Finally I wiped out those assholes and get the blue ribbon, I died like three times, because I didn't understand some things properly.

TigerKnee

Arcane
How it works is that it requires you to copy the game files into its folders so it won't probably won't do anything to your Steam version

AArmanFV

Arbiter
You're playing the Apple version?

Yeah, I like to play the original versions of games. I was afraid that the game could be finished, because the disk image already had characters created (some of them in lvl 40), but I readed that if you drop the Werdna's Amulet you can fight him again.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
2vl5gno.jpg

Fucking Trebor, I want my equipment and money back :argh:

After many attempts I finally defeated Andrew Greenberg Werdna, he was with only 2 Vampires and 1 Vampire Lord and I surprised him, how lucky I am. I get my chance and I used zilwan to kill the vamp lord and with the priest used maporfic to rise my defense, then Werdna only do shitty spells and I rised again my defense with masopic until he used some tiltowaits (I guess) and killed my mage, the vampires only did sleep spells so they did not much trouble, then I only fight with my fighters and the priest and I won. Now I'm going to grind a little bit for the second scenario.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That was quick! :salute:
No need to grind further, though. Wiz 2 is the easiest of all the Wizardries.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom