Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

k0syak

Cipher
Did you find vampire bats or bat vampires?
:retarded:

Didn't notice this difference before.

And if you're tired of it not dropping you can use cosmic forge to edit one in.

I'm close to doing, it cheating but... I've already use it once, in the beginning when I found that my glorious Maenad's Lance that I obtained after miniboss fight in Wiz6 and imported to Wiz7, cannot be further imported or even found later in Wiz8 despite being in gaem files.

The wing has 5% to drop.

I finally found it! Now Ferro's crafting Vampire Chain, I hope it's worth all these effort.

But with 2/3 or even 3/4 game finished, I still cannot find any memorable dungeon like Castle in Wiz6 or Dane's Tower in Wiz7, all are pretty short and simple so far.

k0syak

Cipher
On retro dungeons: I'm all for skipping the first two, since there's nothing really "worthy" in there (an armet + consumables in cemetery, plate set +2 and spellbook of haste in northern wilderness).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
There is no shame in using a walk-through or strategy guide. These are/were practically mandatory for a lot of older/larger games.

Black

Arcane
You mean you don't have all the houses/trainers in MMs memorized?

k0syak

Cipher
Have you found the retro dungeon? :M

Not yet. No I'm in Rapax Castle, fighting tedious battles, killing stuff with no effort now.

I've started using walkthrough only recently once I've found I've had missed both opportunities to obtain *Light* *Sword*:argh:

You've also missed the retro dungeons if you are that far :)
I'd say grab a longsword and head to mountain wilderness right away.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Ugh, so difficult to read this and not begin designing a party and considering a replay...

k0syak

Cipher
Ugh, so difficult to read this and not begin designing a party and considering a replay...

"The extended reach meatgrinder" party: recruit NFC-81; use stuff like staff of doom / zatoichi / giant's sword / dread spear / stun rod on everyone; 2 bishops in the back for support.
No need to invest in dual weapons means you'll have more points to spare :)

Will there be any demanding battle after Rapax Castle? Savant? Someone in dat retro dungeon?

So far, geam was difficult only on the beginning, especially since I've started in Marten's Bluff. Witch Queen was pretty hard (I had to split her forces and eliminated them separately), General Yamir too but now it's piss easy and just tedious, even infamous Nessie was a wuss.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Even regular element-mancers with their summoned elementals that respawn there at higher levels are tough fucks. Other than that i can't think of anything really challenging after you hit that stage. Sulphur scorchers and flying serpents in Northern Wilderness are tough, but more like a battle of attrition. There will (or will not be - depending on some previous choice) a large battle at Ascension Peak that some find p. hard. In general some creatures at AP (grazers) are supposed to be tough i guess, but i almost never go there before hitting lvl 25 or higher so it all becomes trivial.

Hitoshura

Educated
I can't figure out how to use the Identify spell in Wiz 6 (my first try at this series) and the manual is not very helpful. When I cast that, I don't get to target anything and I see no impact that the spell was cast. I was expecting something along the line of Detect Magic as implemented in the Gold Box games. I just entered Styx, hopefully I didn't trash valuable stuff along the way...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't figure out how to use the Identify spell in Wiz 6 (my first try at this series) and the manual is not very helpful. When I cast that, I don't get to target anything and I see no impact that the spell was cast. I was expecting something along the line of Detect Magic as implemented in the Gold Box games. I just entered Styx, hopefully I didn't trash valuable stuff along the way...

You have to Review the caster of the spell first, and cast spell from the Character overview screen.

Hitoshura

Educated

You have to Review the caster of the spell first, and cast spell from the Character overview screen.

Thanks, it worked! I wonder why I didn't think to do it thiat way...

A user named cat

Wiz 8 is driving me up the wall. This is what happens when you haven't played the game since the days of Windows XP.

So if I try to play with vsync disabled, I can't move. Doesn't matter if I hit "alt" or anything, simply can't move. Now with vsync enabled, I can move but the game looks all floaty and choppy when panning around like a bad case of mouse smoothing. Vsync seems really borked in this game. Tried the cpu affinity fix, 1.26 patch, using control panel vsync and all the graphic renderers. Doesn't appear to be fixable unless I'm missing something. Why on earth does movement become broken unless you use buggy vsync? Wondering if this is an AMD gpu issue.

A user named cat

You mention you had to use a patch yourself. Did you try the GoG version? To my knowledge it is perfectly functional and still compatible with the most common mods like Wiz8fast.
Yep, using GOG version. I meant I tested the unofficial 1.26 patch afterwards. GOG uses 1.24 by default. Tried all different graphic settings, still the same. OpenGL, DX6 and DX7 all have the same vsync issue. I've also tried with and without the fixed opengl dll file. Maybe an issue with AMD cards or latest drivers, I really don't know.

A user named cat

Is it janky only when you look around? I.e. does it otherwise run well with smooth framerate and no visual glitch? Try engaging in combat and see if the auto-camera for enemy attacks has the same issue. If not, then try looking into your mouse setting both in-game and out.
Framerate and performance is fine. The jerkiness is seen whenever I pan the camera around at all. It has this floaty, choppy feel to it that is highly annoying. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm in combat or not, since even when I'm not moving and just looking around, this problem occurs. Everything is smooth and perfect with vsync turned off, but then I can't move at all. It seriously makes no sense. I just don't understand how disabling vsync would cripple movement entirely.

I'm currently grabbing an iso just to test if it's an issue with the GOG version or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom