Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The PS1 version of the original Wizardry trilogy is great. Highlly recommended.

Comes with some additional features such as texture graphics, an auto-map and more. :)

"and more": censorship.
You confuse it with snes version of Wiz5. The Story of Lllylgamyn (Wiz 1-3) and New Age of Llylgamyn (Wiz 4-5) don't have any censorship.

Sorry, my bad.

Epsilon

Cipher
The PS1 version of the original Wizardry trilogy is great. Highlly recommended.

Comes with some additional features such as texture graphics, an auto-map and more. :)

"and more": censorship.
You confuse it with snes version of Wiz5. The Story of Lllylgamyn (Wiz 1-3) and New Age of Llylgamyn (Wiz 4-5) don't have any censorship.
Intriguing, are they available in english?
Ah found it. "Lllylgamyn Saga PSX" Doesn't look like it's english though.
Update: Apparently theres windows versions of the psx versions, and they're mostly english with a patch to translate the rest of it. Sadly they're either not very popular on open sites or I just can't find them :(

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Changing those settings makes the game playable in English. It becomes very much playable. However, you will need to look up the spell descriptions and either jot them down on paper or memorize what they are, because unfortunately the spell descriptions are in Japanese in the game, even with the English options enabled.

TigerKnee

Arcane
However, you will need to look up the spell descriptions and either jot them down on paper or memorize what they are, because unfortunately the spell descriptions are in Japanese in the game, even with the English options enabled.
If you were playing the originals, you would have needed to do that anyway, because they don't even have the spell-descriptions in-game.

Deleted Member 16721

If you were playing the originals, you would have needed to do that anyway, because they don't even have the spell-descriptions in-game.

Interesting, good to know.

So, just keep a sheet printed out of the various spells, and you can play the PS1 version of the trilogy just fine. :)

BlackGoat

Arbiter
So I'm having the same issues Watser had several pages back where I'm trying to move my chars into Wiz2 but getting Unimplemented Instruction errors after combat and before treasure chest (using D-Fend and abandonia version of Wiz2). Is there any way to fix this? I could use this opportunity to switch to the SNES versions but the more primitive abandonia versions feel better for :obviously: purposes. And I don't want to lose my chars.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So I'm having the same issues Watser had several pages back where I'm trying to move my chars into Wiz2 but getting Unimplemented Instruction errors after combat and before treasure chest (using D-Fend and abandonia version of Wiz2). Is there any way to fix this? I could use this opportunity to switch to the SNES versions but the more primitive abandonia versions feel better for :obviously: purposes. And I don't want to lose my chars.
I hex-edited my characters using this handy guide http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/recovered/wizardrygame/pages/w1/cheat.htm. With the Wizardry Archives version there is a premade party in Wiz II which I then hex edited to be 100% identical to my party in Wiz I. Find the bytes corresponding to each relevant stat and copy paste it to the Wiz II party and then do that for each character.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I tried that as well but didn't work for some reason. I got an intruduction to hex editing and didn't take very long so all good.

Haven't progressed very far in Wiz IV since I talked about the minefield maze. Almost fully explored the ziggurat but need to figure out how to catch the item on the left-hand side on the top without falling down. I offered up my bloodstone and Lander's turquoise on the altar, but sounded like it only angered the gods.... probably should've invoked them first. There are three sockets in the altar and I assume the last one is for the nugget on floor 8 but I can't get to it and back out without dying just yet.
I like how they managed to incorporate all three dimensions on a 2d layout. Having to climb up a massive underground ziggurat to the next floor does raise a question; just how fucking deep did they bury Werdna?

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Well now I'm having a similar problem with Wizardry III. The program is seeing my characters and "moving" them but then I go to Gilgamesh and they're not there. :\

Edit. Ok, figured it out. Should've read the manual first. Durr. Had to go into Training Grounds, Inspect the Roster, click Legate, and then perform some sort of Rite of Passage Ceremony. OF COURSE.

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
I perhaps made the mistake of jumping ahead and playing around in Wizardry V for a little bit and now I'm really into all the little changes they made from the first three games (different weapon ranges among them). So right now I'm bouncing between both WizIII and WizV, WizIII being a tough sunuvabitch tho I've finally gotten my characters to gain a few levels instead of dying off in every single little first floor combat. WizV on the other hand seems.... easy? I mean, I'm sure it gets more difficult, but so far (and especially compared to WizIII) it seems like mostly easy street, having not yet been put on the ropes in any single encounter.

Also, did they make a change to how leveling works? In all the other games, leveling up is as much a pain as it is a pleasure with all the stat decreases and the "Gained 1 hp" shit, but in WizV all my level-ups have been Gains and high hps. Gotta say, feels good.

Oh, and I switched the graphics to CGA so now I'm getting nice reds instead of the pinks (tho I did like the pinks and thought they were intentional).

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wiz 5 does get more difficult, both combat wise and otherwise. The difficulty curve is different than for Wiz 3.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
The first dungeon level of Wiz 5 is pretty easy as long as you don't wander far early, it has divided encounter tables for different sections of the floor with the harder enemies only appearing further out. It does get a lot meaner (and then you get like 90% magic resist and everything fizzles on you).

BlackGoat

Arbiter
So, did Pixar rip off the Hurkle Beast for Monster's Inc?

kiBP1bF.jpg

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It doesn't take a lot of creative thought to come up with a walking mouth with one eye, so I rather doubt it

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Well, shit. I'm right at the end of WizV and I think I was supposed to get the Ace of Clubs immediately after the third clone-party combat on level 8. But no card dropped. I did the three available staff/riddle things. Just the last one to do. Is my game fucked?

Edit. Just did a crash course in hex editing and gave it to myself. Still curious what happened tho.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, shit. I'm right at the end of WizV and I think I was supposed to get the Ace of Clubs immediately after the third clone-party combat on level 8. But no card dropped. I did the three available staff/riddle things. Just the last one to do. Is my game fucked?

Edit. Just did a crash course in hex editing and gave it to myself. Still curious what happened tho.

Wish I could remember. I checked my notes and screenshots, and I'm astonished at how much I forgot in just one and a half years.
Anyway, my game screwed up at the very end, so let this be a warning:

And so, another game bugs out on me when I'm so close to winning.
I finally got all the Cards and did all four rituals to shut down all the Gates, but I can't access square 0,0 on level 8 where the Gatekeeper is imprisoned. Instead the party is pushed away by the Sorn of a bitch.
So I take the Teleporter back, but I can't re-activate any of the four elemental gates to lvl 8.
So I Malor back to the castle instead, figuring I can just do the whole ritual again, but this this time with no saving before the end. I think it was the saving that screwed up, but getting back to the castle should have reset levels 7 and 8.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Wish I could remember. I checked my notes and screenshots, and I'm astonished at how much I forgot in just one and a half years.

I finally got all the Cards and did all four rituals to shut down all the Gates, but I can't access square 0,0 on level 8 where the Gatekeeper is imprisoned. Instead the party is pushed away by the Sorn of a bitch.
So I take the Teleporter back, but I can't re-activate any of the four elemental gates to lvl 8.
So I Malor back to the castle instead, figuring I can just do the whole ritual again, but this this time with no saving before the end. I think it was the saving that screwed up, but getting back to the castle should have reset levels 7 and 8.

Holy shit, this might be happening to me right now. Sorn is still pushing me back. :negative:

Is there.... is there nothing to be done?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Holy shit, this might be happening to me right now. Sorn is still pushing me back. :negative:

Is there.... is there nothing to be done?

Whatever you, don't Teleport or Malor out of the area.
It's possible that I overlooked something, so maybe check FAQs and Let's Plays to see how others did it? Most will be for Nintendo version, though.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Whatever you, don't Teleport or Malor out of the area.
It's possible that I overlooked something, so maybe check FAQs and Let's Plays to see how others did it?
Oh wait, am I supposed to close all the gates in one go without returning to castle? I hadn't thought that that'd be resetting things but of course that makes sense. Derp. I have a backup, will try again.

That'd explain why I couldn't get the ace of clubs to drop, cause I'd go back to the castle after closing two gates, and then go back and do the third gate thinking that'd get me the drop, but then the other two would still need closing again. smh

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Yeah, that was the issue.

But now I'm realizing I'm way too weak for the Sorn. So back to the grind.

:dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom