Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Sentinel

We don't revisit Savant Tower in late-game?! :/
I do not remember that after playing Wiz 8 15 years ago, but how many locations do you get to revisit late in the game? When you revisit Savant Tower, aren't enemies there scaled to your party?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, this level scaling thing in Wiz8 is blown out of proportion all the time, the game just draws monsters from certain available pool based on the area and party level withing certain range.

This is exactly the definition of level scaling. Oblivion "draws monsters from certain available pool" too. Wizardry might have a level scaling cap, but you do not revisit early areas in late game anyway.

No. Oblivion gives you level 1 bandits with iron daggers or level 20 bandits with elven armor. Don't compare cheap design meant to please bland console gamers, with the genuine stuff.

Sentinel

Honestly, this level scaling thing in Wiz8 is blown out of proportion all the time, the game just draws monsters from certain available pool based on the area and party level withing certain range.

This is exactly the definition of level scaling. Oblivion "draws monsters from certain available pool" too. Wizardry might have a level scaling cap, but you do not revisit early areas in late game anyway.

No. Oblivion gives you level 1 bandits with iron daggers or level 20 bandits with elven armor. Don't compare cheap design meant to please bland console gamers, with the genuine stuff.

How is that different from Wiz 8 scaling?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
For those of you being stuck to mobile/tablet, you can play Wizardry VI via Snes9x emulator playing the Famicom ROM released in Japan in 95 by publisher called ASCII. There is a fan translation that is rather decent (some menus are engrish, but the actual wonderful game texts are taken from the DOS version).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I consider level scaling to be any kind of world that changes as your character levels up.

This includes:

- Morrowind's system of throwing more and more powerful enemies at you as you level up (Bitter Coast at level 1 has Mudcrabs, while at higher levels it spawns Cliff Racers and Netches)
- Oblivion's retarded system of throwing you bandits with leather armor and bandits with Glass armor at higher levels.
- Skyrim's system of having each enemy get stronger within certain boundaries, and making it so that their level is decided the moment you first meet them in the different areas.

Morrowind's system is the only one that makes sense if you use some meta explanation, like animals migrating from different territories.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
For those of you being stuck to mobile/tablet, you can play Wizardry VI via Snes9x emulator playing the Famicom ROM released in Japan in 95 by publisher called ASCII. There is a fan translation that is rather decent (some menus are engrish, but the actual wonderful game texts are taken from the DOS version).

There is a downside that it's not possible to export the party to Wiz7.
b8kLAjUl.jpg

:)

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

How is that different from Wiz 8 scaling?

... entirely?

Areas are actually easier or harder depending on your level, while in Oblivion it's always the same, wherever you go. And different creatures, with different powers and challenges, is not the same as "now banditz are epic lol"

some kind of "reactiveness" of the world to scale up difficulty is reasonable in open world games, otherwise the content becomes 95% too easy/too hard and there will only be a few areas you can actually handle, making the world less open. But making the world 99% manageable because it scales to your "needs" is just lame.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

There is a downside that it's not possible to export the party to Wiz7.
b8kLAjUl.jpg

:)

Yeah but is there a way to play wiz 7 on android with decent controls?

Sentinel

I consider level scaling to be any kind of world that changes as your character levels up.

This includes:

- Morrowind's system of throwing more and more powerful enemies at you as you level up (Bitter Coast at level 1 has Mudcrabs, while at higher levels it spawns Cliff Racers and Netches)
- Oblivion's retarded system of throwing you bandits with leather armor and bandits with Glass armor at higher levels.
- Skyrim's system of having each enemy get stronger within certain boundaries, and making it so that their level is decided the moment you first meet them in the different areas.

Morrowind's system is the only one that makes sense if you use some meta explanation, like animals migrating from different territories.

That's the biggest problem with level scaling. It kills immersion by making it obvious that the world centers around the player.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Just for the record, tried aFreeBox on my android phone and Wiz 7 runs fine. But the controls make it very uncomfortable to play; there's no way I'd play through it. Console versions are always much easier to handle, but mouse on tiny controls make it very unresponsive and frustrating. Maybe on a large tablet it'd play reasonably.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Idk about 6 or 7, but I know that snes Wiz5 worked extraordinarily well on my old Android phone. In fact, ease of emulation is the thing I miss most about Android.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Don't you run it in dosbox for linux? Not sure why it would be any different:
  1. Copy your Bane save file into the wiz 7 installation folder (usually DSAVANT).
  2. Choose Import (BANE) at the main menu.
  3. Change SAVEGAME.BCF to the name of your save.
  4. Click Load and the game will start using your imported party.
If you get a disk error, check Configuration for path to saved games, put the Bane save there, and try again.
Note that path is relative to whatever/whereever you mounted in dosbox.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah but you need to specify directory where is your save i.e. 'c:/folder/save/' and in my system you don't have disks listed like that.
If you get a disk error, check Configuration for path to saved games, put the Bane save there, and try again.
Default path is c:\dsavant\ what path should i create instead of this?

Last edited:

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
But you are running in dosbox, right? Dosbox should set up a dos disk structure.
Maybe try setting path to \dsavant

If that doesn't work, show me the commands at the end of your dosbox.conf file. (Note it may be called .dosboxrc in older versions of dosbox for linux)
Need to see the mount commands in particular. I'm assuming the game resides in a folder called dsavant

If, for example, you see:
mount c /home/username

Outside wiz7:
put the DSAVANT game dir in the /home/username directory
copy the bane save into it

In wiz7:
path = C:\DSAVANT

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm reading the Ultimate Wizardry Archives manual, but I haven't found the explanation I'm looking for.

Why do I sometimes encounter enemies, beat them, and immediately afterwards (without leaving combat) do I encounter other enemies? How does that work, exactly? I'm playing the SNES Llylgamyn Saga, by the way.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone could tell me how to slow down the battle messages so that I could actually read them at my own pace, that'd be just fine by me.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't know shit about the snes version. If it helps you, then I just can tell that I don't remember such situation in the PC releases, only in Bard's Tale due to the real-time thing, in Wizardry maybe once, I'm not entirely sure. By the way, it happens frequently?

Now for the message speed, there's not some option menu in the game to fix that?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Why do I sometimes encounter enemies, beat them, and immediately afterwards (without leaving combat) do I encounter other enemies? How does that work, exactly?

Shot in the dark, but some enemies (Roayal Guards from Wiz5) can summon their ilk and some magic enemies summon elementals and demons.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone could tell me how to slow down the battle messages so that I could actually read them at my own pace, that'd be just fine by me.

for PC version it would be T key followed by using 99 delay. For the NES? Dunno.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There's no way to adjust the text speed in the SNES apparently, but it doesn't matter.

I'm having a blast with the game. It could be even better if I got off my ass and started mapping the first level of the dungeon, as so far I've been literally running into the first three rooms of the level, killing enemies, gathering loot, returning to surface, rinse and repeat. This is the positive grinding, the one that is satisfying to do, unlike Final Fantasy I's retardedly slow grinding.

The graphics truly help build the atmosphere, and the music does its part too.

My party consists of:

- Caesar: a fighter.
- Avnasse: another fighter.
- Zekiel: yet another fighter.
- Locke: my self-insert.
- Maggie: a mage.
- Annie: another mage.

I lost my previous self-insert (Sigourn) to paralysis and it was much easier to just create a brand new character. I have to say, Wizardry is incredibly immersive from an "explanation" point of view (character creation being just "recruiting", for example).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
My party consists of:

- Caesar: a fighter.
- Avnasse: another fighter.
- Zekiel: yet another fighter.
- Locke: my self-insert.
- Maggie: a mage.
- Annie: another mage.

You definitely need both priest and thief (or Ninja) for the balanced party. Don't forget that you can change class of one of your fighters later, don't just abandon him. Thief should be of evil alignment and he could be made into Ninja by Black Ribbon item. Otherwise, Ninja attribute requirements are very steep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom