Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

SkeleTony

Augur
While I consider Wizardry 8 to be the high point of the series (I know...I am in the minority) even for us veterans of Wizardry 8 Arnika road is a Hellish disaster of level scaling nonsense. It is only really doable by either sticking to the 'walls' and avoiding most of the hordes of plants, juggernauts and/or getting very lucky. It is not that the battles are necessarily too difficult to be overcome but rather that the time and effort to do so makes the game feel like a job you are forced to do rather than a game you want to play. If any modder decides to do a 'Dungeon-be-gone' wiping out everything before you get to Arnika it will be a very popular mod.

Having said that the game really shines after you make it to Arnika.

I don't do the retarded 'solo playthrough' nonsense for a slew of reasons but that is just me I guess.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It is only really doable by either sticking to the 'walls' and avoiding most of the hordes of plants, juggernauts and/or getting very lucky.
I have read that if you are solo char, then you have twice the least encounters.
I had only crabs apon enter on the left, someone on the right, then when I fought with bandits 2 of them fled, when I defeated them, I so those crabs!11 so I retreated and prepared to fight, but they disappeared.
Then there were 2 wasps, group of highwaymans near some house, and 2 of them on next crossroad.
My char was lvl 6.

k0syak

Cipher
This seems kinda low, a 6-man party should be level 5/6 when leaving the monastery IIRC

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, that leveling in Arnika Road scared me, so I just didn't lvlup. Actually char was lvl 8 or 9. Now it is 10, but I'm not sure if I should first train skills as Bishop at lvl 1 of Bishp and then lvlup.
I start to add Intellect but not sure I need Power Cast, because I'm going to use spells mainly as support.

Dialogues are the best in Arnika. And all with voice-over - amazing.

SkeleTony

Augur
Well, that leveling in Arnika Road scared me, so I just didn't lvlup. Actually char was lvl 8 or 9. Now it is 10, but I'm not sure if I should first train skills as Bishop at lvl 1 of Bishp and then lvlup.
I start to add Intellect but not sure I need Power Cast, because I'm going to use spells mainly as support.

Dialogues are the best in Arnika. And all with voice-over - amazing.

What that poster was saying was that a 6 PC party should have been level 5/6 upon leaving the monastery. A solo character/singleton party should be much higher. Did you skip a lot of areas or something (though I do not remember there being too much you can skip in that dungeon)?

Also I am unaware of singletons getting more encounters on Arnika road and find this claim dubious given what would be required of the programmers and the tight schedule and budget they were on.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also I am unaware of singletons getting more encounters on Arnika road and find this claim dubious given what would be required of the programmers and the tight schedule and budget they were on.
Did I said more? I mean less.

I didin't skip anything, it's just was tedious to kill slime, also maybe I got less encounters there as solo too.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I want to get all quest, what should I do in general to get them all?
I mean things like when you talk with HeLi with Myles, you got to paid for him, get 500 exp and entry in journal.
Is there other such things?
Explored whole Arnika, except location on right of spaceport.
Curious things going on there. )

k0syak

Cipher
With Vi you get some dialog from the NPCs and after removing her Braffit gives you some cash.
Miles has "quests".
If you weren't retarded and had a mook in the party, he would have gotten an invitation to their embassy (also Giant's Sword rocks).

SkeleTony

Augur
Hey, just out of curiosity what happened to Cleveland Barkmore? Last time I was around here he was still threatening to release Grimoire and taking jabs at the idiots who sent him money. Has he finally been banned or something?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Hey, just out of curiosity what happened to Cleveland Barkmore? Last time I was around here he was still threatening to release Grimoire and taking jabs at the idiots who sent him money. Has he finally been banned or something?
Enjoy: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...he-con-the-thread.75724/page-957#post-5037531

ZSTXAZF.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
at some point the fun has to stop, it can't go on forever (or can it?)

Walden

Savant
Fellas, I definitely postponed for too long this series. Where should I start(SNES trilogy?) and look for a good manual/ruleset?
:salute:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you want an easier challenge, take the DOS versions in combination with Grid Cartographer, which due to the gamelink makes it hard to get lost
If you want shiny graphics, with only minimal changes to the gameplay, go with the SNES versions
If you want better graphics with the almost original experience in terms of gameplay, go with the PSX versions, thought I'm not a big of those graphics, I even prefer the original wireframe graphics over them

you could also summon aweigh, he knows Wizardry ports almost better than anybody here

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Avoid the American SNES versions; they are full of offensive censorship.
There are actually some nice looking anime free Japanese versions, but some levels were redesigned and Wiz 2 and 3 were swapped in the sequence for some reason.
For the genuine Wizardry 1-5 experience, play the Apple II or DOS versions.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
I've been spending the past week grinding xp and skillpoints for my Wiz 6 party, from a savefile I still had from when I beat this game about 3 years ago, to prepare for import into Wiz 7. My Valkyries just hit level 70-ish, to give an idea of how obsessively I've been making nonstop loops through the Temple of Ramm.

I'm pretty confident this all-elite-class party stocked with the best weapons in the game is more than capable of doing well against W7's HP-bloated enemies (especially with my weeaboo-class-trio having 100 Ninjutsu+Kirijutsu, and my two Valkyries who aren't too shabby either), but I have this odd feeling I still might regret not re-switching one of them to a Bard to deal with moments where the game just spams a few dozen status-effect-flinging baddies at me.

But it also just seems wrong to switch an elite class down to a lowly Bard.

Maybe I am overthinking this?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
yeah, if you import a good party from W6, you won't really need a bard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom