Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I have a question. I'm currently going through Wizardry 1, and plan to move on to 6 - 8 next. Mechanics-wise, is there a lot of feature creep if I skip over the next few games? I know that, for example, Wiz 6 uses mana for spells instead of the vancian style in 1. Should I give Wiz 5 a whirl first, since that was Bradley's first game in the series?

You can skip Wizardry 4. What version are you playing?

ore clover

Learned
Wiz 5 introduces a couple of new things, but it's still closer to 1-3 than to 6.
Of course, you really should play all of them, at least if you enjoy Wiz 1.
Yeah, I'm probably going to play most all of them eventually; it's more just in what order to go about that.

I'm enjoying Wiz 1 a lot. Coming from the early Might and Magic's I was a bit concerned there'd be a large difference in difficulty, but the combat encounters and traps have been pretty reasonable so far.

Edit: Just saw your post, Grampy. I'm playing the dos version, and I'll probably stick to dos for the rest.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Went on my first killing spree through Ukpyr. They just attacked me when I entered, so I figured I return the favor (I might have killed their wandering NPC for the ?Legend? map).

The Umpani headquarters is pretty neat. There were 4 fights with a total of over 500.000 XP for my Level 12 party. Too bad nothing happens when you kill General Yamo. The only problem now is that I don't hape the Oomplalumpa card for the teleporter and I'm not strong enough yet to break down the door.

Is there some other way to get to Lewarx in New City, other than through the Ukpyr teleporter?

That's a bummer, you'd think one of the Umpani NPCs would drop the card when you kill them.

ore clover

Learned
Those useless fucks in the temple turned one of my dead fighters to ash, and then botched the second restoration attempt! :argh:

Oh well, I guess I'll roll a mage or something. I still have two fighters.

Six-thousand gold pieces down the drain.

:negative:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That's why Vitality is the most important stat for newly created characters.
And why Wiz 3 is so brutal in the beginning, since stats are capped at 15, which is one below the bonus treshold.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Those useless fucks in the temple turned one of my dead fighters to ash, and then botched the second restoration attempt! :argh:

Oh well, I guess I'll roll a mage or something. I still have two fighters.

Six-thousand gold pieces down the drain.

:negative:

I just imagine those temples like a McDonalds. You order a resurrection spell and OOPS! They give you a lightning bolt instead! Fucking diversity hires!

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Wiz 5 introduces a couple of new things, but it's still closer to 1-3 than to 6.
Of course, you really should play all of them, at least if you enjoy Wiz 1.
Yeah, I'm probably going to play most all of them eventually; it's more just in what order to go about that.

I'm enjoying Wiz 1 a lot. Coming from the early Might and Magic's I was a bit concerned there'd be a large difference in difficulty, but the combat encounters and traps have been pretty reasonable so far.

Edit: Just saw your post, Grampy. I'm playing the dos version, and I'll probably stick to dos for the rest.

If you can stomach playing through the first 3 games (all of them having the exact same gameplay and engine) then you should give Wizardry 4 a try. It's the "expert" scenario that requires intimate knowledge of all the previous games. And the concept is pretty cool too. You play as the bad guy from the 1st game trying to get your revenge. It's more of a puzzle game than a straight up RPG.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Someguy's ghost casts lifesteal.

Boreale takes 1218 damage!

:prosper:

Tomb of the Damned was probably the most annoying place I've seen thus far. Especially the constant 5-zombie pop-ups where they all appear as 5 groups of 1...

McPlusle

Savant
Will the GOG versions of 6-8 transfer parties properly? Should I play DOS W7 or Gold? Am I going to be met with scorn if I use a mapping tool?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Someguy's ghost casts lifesteal.

Boreale takes 1218 damage!

:prosper:

Tomb of the Damned was probably the most annoying place I've seen thus far. Especially the constant 5-zombie pop-ups where they all appear as 5 groups of 1...

DW Bradley's Mustache must be appeased

bradley.PNG

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Is there any legitimate way to acquire the first 5 Wizardries that doesn't require me to wait for a delivery? Any legitimate digital copies?

Epsilon

Cipher
All digital versions are legitimate. Sir-Tech doesn't exist anymore. The original developers are not going to receive a dime off of any digital purchase you make.

pippin

The copies at myabandonware are from the Ultimate Wizardry Archives. It has that manual. In amazon the UWA cd is like 60 bucks or something like that.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Word on the interwebs is that Wiz 1-5 may appear on GOG courtesy of Night Dive Studio.
But I wouldn't feel bad about downloading the abandonware versions. Just make sure you change the Graphics option to CGA to get the intended red instead of pink monsters.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
In Wizardry 7 is there a strict limit to how many loose items you can drop on the ground in the world? Are there any known "vanishing items" bugs related to doing so perhaps?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I thought the colors used by Dedup made the game look really awesome, even better than with the red&blue ones.
I used a utility called chgcolor to change the cyan and magenta to other EGA colours to make the DOS version of Wizardry a little more palatable.

ZJ80Wew.png
o8PMdmT.png

Acf5nZi.png
JjGmR7d.png

k3njbts.png
IG2xwgR.png

Parabalus

Arcane
Are there any "quality" content mods for Wizardry 8? I remember playing something like "Dodd the Slayer's mod v2.4 with Daegan's tweaks 2" which added a bunch of super autistic stuff but was pretty fun and difficult in the end, anything else worth mentioning around?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom