Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
maybe he'd agree if you caught him in the street and interviewed him as part of a random encounter
A ''random interviewer'' encounter should be the most deadliest in the next Wizardry spin-off or remake, if such happens. Also, darth roxors should be the weakest trash mob in the game.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm in the first level of Wizardry V and still have a lot map to explore, this is amazing after playing Wizardry 1 to 4, the over-conservative franchise finally move one step (just took 7 years :roll:), including long range weapons, "picklockingable" doors and maybe lots of other things that i'm going to discover.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wiz 5 was actually finished long before it was published, but it had to wait for Wiz 4.
Apart from some rather weird puzzles and too much backtracking, I think it was an incline compared to Wiz 2-3, with the unpredictable shape and size of the levels, more special encounters inlcuding memorably NPCs, and the pools you could explore.

ralphonzo

Novice
I played Wizardry 8 when it came out (well, most of it), and briefly played 5 on SNES when it came out, but I think I'm ready to start Wizardry 6 (with automap) for my first real experience.

Can someone tell me how well the advice in this guide stacks up? http://www.resonant.org/games/wizardry/wiz6/wiz6advice.htm

What about his recommended party?

"My personal choices: a Dracon Female Fighter, a Lizardman Male Fighter, a Dwarf Female Fighter, a Rawulf Female Priest, a Felpurr Female Bard, a Faerie Male Alchemist. This party is absurdly easy to roll, so you can put lots of extra points into raising characteristic values. It is also not quite the party I have been playing lately, so I can't guarantee how great it is. However, it has the Bard, and the Fighters can be changed to elite classes later."

I'm not looking to have my hand held the whole game--I'd just like to get some party creation tips, then go blind from there. I do intend to eventually go through the whole trilogy with the same party.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, if you can roll something better early on (ninja, for example), you should take it. But if you want a quick and easy start, you can take the easy classes and hope to change them to something better later on. I would at least lay out a plan of what classes you want to arrive at eventually and then pick the races and initial classes that are pretty close to that in their attributes.

Fairy Alchemist is great though, because it can later change into a ninja and the ninja can continue getting new alchemist spells. I did exactly that in Wizardry 7.

ralphonzo

Novice
So it's not so much the combination/synergy of the party that is important (assuming certain niches are filled like bard) as it is just having individuals that don't suck?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There are many combinations that work and obviously you need to have the healing and attack spells covered. I don't remember what Bard instruments you get early in the game in Wizardry 6, but in 7 a Bard is very effective for crowd control for many types of monsters.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, that party you posted lacks the lockpicking skill that thiefs, ninjas and rangers have. So you should probably get one of those from the start.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What about his recommended party?

"My personal choices: a Dracon Female Fighter, a Lizardman Male Fighter, a Dwarf Female Fighter, a Rawulf Female Priest, a Felpurr Female Bard, a Faerie Male Alchemist. This party is absurdly easy to roll, so you can put lots of extra points into raising characteristic values. It is also not quite the party I have been playing lately, so I can't guarantee how great it is. However, it has the Bard, and the Fighters can be changed to elite classes later."

I'm not looking to have my hand held the whole game--I'd just like to get some party creation tips, then go blind from there. I do intend to eventually go through the whole trilogy with the same party.

I don't like pure Fighters; IIRC because they take double damage from enemies.
Also I favour a female Dwarf Priest, since they can immediately switch to Valkyrie. Starting as a base spell caster means better mana recovery. Mana recovery doesn't change when swiching classes.

There lots of things to considered when creating a party for Wizardry 6, but I think kmonster summed it all nicely in his post at Abandonia.

pippin

I'm currently playing through 6 and I hate the Guardian of the Rock very much

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
eh guardian of the rock is super-ez, especially compared to most of the other bullshit in this game

i didnt even raeg at him, which was a rare occurrence during my playthrough

pippin

That's what I did but it didn't worked as it did with the Twins. The problem in the end was that I was getting used to thinking strategies when sometimes you just have to dodge shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just spent like 15 minutes grinding swimming to 100 on all dudes in the pool by the Refreshing! fountain under Munkharama.

I am become sperg, the shatterer of worlds.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I returned to my playthrough, I'm always fucking up that motor and the shaft appears, the instructions are pretty confusing, considering that my english is beyond horrible. Also I fought the golem :D

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I've just spent like 15 minutes grinding swimming to 100 on all dudes in the pool by the Refreshing! fountain under Munkharama.

I am become sperg, the shatterer of worlds.

I did that in the Tower of Dane with the Mind Control skill.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The Guardian of the Rock was very easy, but that fucking wizard chisel puzzle at the bottom of the mountain was the worst shit in the game. The game had some esoteric bullshit, but that fucking wizard in the diamond was just horrible. Fuck whoever designed that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Funny, wizard chisel gave me no trouble at all either. But maybe that was cuz I just used everything with everything when I found the first diamond wall and the chisel just happened to work on it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
make yer own darn maps its not like its even particularly hard in wiz7 thanks to the map kit

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Mapping all of Wizardry 7 is a pretty crazy task though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom