Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
The pools in Wizardry V are incredible, maybe I could make some kind of "speedrun" with their properties.

One of the most underrated games ever.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yea, aweigh agrees:

for pure graphics whoring there's no comparison to the snes versions tho, of any of the wizardry games:

wizardry5-snes-14.png

wizardry5-snes-07.png

wizardry1-snes-01.png

wizardry1-snes-02.png

wizardry1-snes-12.png

*sploosh*

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The SNES version has the right feel though - it inspires imagination like a blobber should:

Those PCX dungeons look like shovelware production.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
The SNES version has the right feel though - it inspires imagination like a blobber should:

Those PCX dungeons look like shovelware production.

Just make sure you're not playing a different version of the game, as it happens with SNES versions of Wiz 1-3, and the idiotic M&M3 port they did. I am not sure about Wizardry 5.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I found the loon and the third card, I love when things go smoothly. I thought the riddles and Bradley's "tastes in design" would give me some troubles, but the difficult part of the game is the combat like in every classic title, I think is even harder than Wizardry IV.

The pools in Wizardry V are incredible, maybe I could make some kind of "speedrun" with their properties.

Yeah, I remember that there's few information of the game compared to the other tittles, I was always curious about it, even the game solution came out after Wizardry VII was released. Did Sir-tech also forgot the game as well?

I was like: I have to play it one day to discover how it is.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
I found the loon and the third card, I love when things go smoothly. I thought the riddles and Bradley's "tastes in design" would give me some troubles, but the difficult part of the game is the combat like in every classic title, I think is even harder than Wizardry IV.

Yeah, I remember that there's few information of the game compared to the other tittles, I was always curious about it, even the game solution came out after Wizardry VII was released. Did Sir-tech also forgot the game as well?

I was like: I have to play it one day to discover how it is.

I myself had skipped it back in the old days and now consider it vastly superior to 1-4 and 6. Wizardry 7 has a huge scope and complexity, but in turn loses some of the "purity" of 5 as dungeon crawler.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I myself had skipped it back in the old days and now consider it vastly superior to 1-4 and 6. Wizardry 7 has a huge scope and complexity, but in turn loses some of the "purity" of 5 as dungeon crawler.

The only Wizardry games I rated higher than V are VII and I, and the only other tactical (i.e. combatfag) rpgs I have higher than V are ToEE, VII, JA2, Pool of Radiance, SR: Dragonfall, Invisible Inc, I and AoD.

I'm not sure I can rate V better than I. I's mazes and difficulty progression is brutal but perfect, especially if you don't cheat by elevator directly to the 9th and 10th floors. That 3rd floor... And there's something cool about playing a game that's a piece of computer gaming history, which V doesn't have.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Apparently the Super Famicom version is uncensored while the SNES version is censored. Is it more than just a few graphics though?

wiz5.jpg

Jason Liang

Arcane
And some text. I think the simplest recommendation is the English translation of the Super Famicom version on emulator.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Decided to play Wiz6. Then I made a fast party to have some fun while waiting Grimoire. But then I was fucked left and right because said party sucked a lot. Thus I decided to re-roll my party and that dice roll is :negative:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Fuck, the last riddles were difficult but logical, I could answer just one (the last) for the rest I used a walkthrough, I feel dirty :(. Then I battled the Sorn and I was killed easily, it's time to do some grinding, that bitch is hard, but I discovered that I can summon the Gatekeeper to fight.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
HplJagy.png

So, all this "save the world" crap was just for your retirement, I don't want to be an eternity here guarding a fucking gate.

bIbjxWz.png

Another game, another medal.

Finished and learned the lesson: Bishops>>>Mages and Priests, Samurais and Ninjas>>>>> Fighters and Thiefs, they need like 21-22 levels to have a decent repertory of magic, but it's worth the effort and pattience. I think I grinded too much, because the SORN was a peace of cake. (Socordi, Cortu, Cortu, Cortu, etc.) I have to say that the crapple version is crap, slow as fuck, I liked only the graphics.

Now to finish this awful review, I think that this is the best Wizardry of the classics and the epic finale of the Llylgamyn trilogy, Bradley took the game and added the epicness that needed. I didn't bother to fully explode the spell system, so I don't gonna write too much about it, most of the spells didn't work, but I guess they are useful with the correct monsters, with magic resistant monsters is better physical attacks (the importance of good equipment and high level characters when fighting Dark Lords, Nether Demons and Cacodaemons). In a full retarded playthrough you could beat Wizardry 1, but not Wizardry V.

The next time I'm going to play it without abusing the save&quit feature, and I will fight La La Moo-Moo for sure.

Almost forgot one thing: Where are my beloved spiners, malicious teleporters and one direction walls?, I missed all that.

youhomofo

Augur
So is there some trick to keeping the party healed? I just wrapped up New City and I'm on the road heading to Orkogre. Lots of big fights. My party rarely gets through more than a couple fights without being wounded and out of mana.

Should I just stop and rest? I'm worried that if I rest too much the NPC parties will get ahead of me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Should I just stop and rest? I'm worried that if I rest too much the NPC parties will get ahead of me.

The NPC parties will get ahead of you anyway, so you might as well sit down and relax (and then kill everyone who took the quest items before you, or steal those from them). You can also keep backtracking to the New City temple and pay for the healing fountains, but idk why you'd want to do that :M

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Anyone knowhow to get the automap to work with the steam version? When I follow the automap instructions it works but when I get in a fight I get a stack overflow error : increase stacks size. Reading on dosbox I found a command to increase stacks with the command STACKS: 12,2048. I tried this and inserted it everywhere under the sns config, increased memory from 16 to 32, increased everything. Nothing works. If I use a different dosbox exe it wants both the SDL.dll and sdl_net.dll and switching the name of sdl2.dll that comes with automap doesn't work.

I've tried a million other things but it would take too long to list here. Anyone have any help they could add?

donnus

Literate
couple questions. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

1. can the amulet of life be used infinite amount of times? do you have to recharge it? if so, what do you have to click on? had some trubble with this.

number two: STORY QUESTION: I just killed brother Kymar - a blue Dane guy - and I honestly got lucky killing him because his "Ice Spell" backfired on his bastard ass. What I'm wondering is, should I reload cause that guy is important? Or should I just embrace my decision in terms of the story? I am anxious cause I don't want to do something wrong but maybe I should just go with my own story... and not even worry about asking for help cause fuck it

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
couple questions. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

1. can the amulet of life be used infinite amount of times? do you have to recharge it? if so, what do you have to click on? had some trubble with this.

number two: STORY QUESTION: I just killed brother Kymar - a blue Dane guy - and I honestly got lucky killing him because his "Ice Spell" backfired on his bastard ass. What I'm wondering is, should I reload cause that guy is important? Or should I just embrace my decision in terms of the story? I am anxious cause I don't want to do something wrong but maybe I should just go with my own story... and not even worry about asking for help cause fuck it

don't sweat it, the Danes are a bunch of conniving pricks

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Speaking of which, I've just finished genociding all the T'rangs, including Shritis and D'rang, who have approached me completely by accident right after I'd left Nyctalinth.

Feels good men.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Speaking of which, I've just finished genociding all the T'rangs, including Shritis and D'rang, who have approached me completely by accident right after I'd left Nyctalinth.

Feels good men.
Too bad we never get to visit the T'Rang Throneworld.

mushaden

Scholar
Tried all permutations of the funhouse slide switches... find out you need to use the rope and pole... tried all the permutations again... find out there's a fifth switch that I never found because I didn't fully explore the map. I hate using guides, but I sure am glad this puzzle doesn't change like the one with the beans in munkharama

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom