Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is the Fiend of Nine Worlds the "mighty mouse" I've heard so much about? Because hory shieeeeeeeet :abyssgazer:

Also, is Ra-Sep-Re-Tep in the hall of gorrors supposed to be a joke or sth?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Mighty Mouse is somewhat overrated, though I still needed to summon about 6 Godzillys to finish it off.

That Beast from Hell or whatever is easy.

EDIT: I guess you do need ninjutsu for everyone and I brought up SPD and AGI to around 20 for everyone.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
A funny thing - playing the game again after a few years, now at the Rattkin Ruins. I knew you get the Reflextion skill here but forgot the details. I've checked the official clue book and there's no mention of it. So I check some FAQs and whaaa? You're supposed to say "Reflextion" to Blienmeis? Wtf? Were do you get a clue for that?
Mindread?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is Mighty Mouse giving you problems?
Then just imagine what 1000 Eyes can do to you.

After hearing all the zomgz regarding it and seeing that it has 10k hp, I didn't even bother trying. What's the point?

Anyways, this hall of gorrors is fairly weird for a supposed gathering of "super encounters" (you could say UNBALANCED, HÓHÓHÓ) - Horragoth and D'Arboleth are pathetic, Rasepretep is a quite literal joke, Thing from Hell is tough but has two p. crippling weaknesses... and then there's mighty mouse that I can't really hope to do anything about, and 1000 eyes which doesn't need commentary.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is Mighty Mouse giving you problems?
Then just imagine what 1000 Eyes can do to you.

After hearing all the zomgz regarding it and seeing that it has 10k hp, I didn't even bother trying. What's the point?

Because it's there.
And unlike for example the Mega Dragon in MM2 you don't need to cheat or grind like hell to be able to defeat it; it's possible to defeat it with a normal party. I did it on the way back after completing the dungeon that lies past it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guise I see you haven't met the new and improved Godzilly, added by the Mad God mod. Now it has 6k HP, is invulnerable to all spells, dodges half your swings even with all buffs on and takes very little damage from the rest. Plus when it hits it almost always kills. And you fight two of them in a short order in the Lesser Wilds. After 15 minutes I gave up on the fight.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Because it's there.

It's the only reason though.

Dunno, the hall of gorrors is kind of silly and pointless tbh. 1000 eyes and friends are there p. much only to put your autism to the test because at this point the XP doesn't matter all that much, and the loot chests give pretty shitty rewards + none of them transfer to Wiz8 anyway. Now compare it to the heroes' tombs in Wiz6, which all give legendary loot that also transfers to Wiz7 and are at a point in the game where XP still matters.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
+ none of them transfer to Wiz8 anyway
Well, you can't blame that on Wiz7, can you?

i can and i will

try and stop me :dance:

edit: the comparison to the wiz6 heroes' tombs stands, however - all the things i got in the hall of gorrors thus far have been crap, while all the wiz6 stuff was supergood. I probably wouldn't transfer any of that crap anyway even if I could.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
While that's true, I just love the concept of the halls of the gorrors. I see it more as a final test to see how well you've developed your party and one last time that the game shows you that there are still things that can do a TPK on you

Covenant

Savant
Current ironman expert party is roughly 33% through Wiz7. (Harder than it sounds.) Crushed most of the nastier early fights like Skeleton Lords and 2x Lord of Dark Forest.

I have some concerns, though. All six characters have around 70 @ lvl 12. Is that going to cause problems by mid and late game? How much AoE damage are the bosses doing? I fear being wiped by some boss with ridiculous acid breath.

I don't recall AoE damage being quite the terror in Crusaders that it was in Bane. That said, I'm doing my best to repress any and all memory of the Dane tower (that fucking fireball corridor), so maybe that's affecting things.

Very impressed you've managed to get so far with a full Ironman attempt on Expert. My best attempt (on Normal, at that) failed a little before the Lord of the Dark Forest fight. I was considering pussying out and allowing myself a few 'save points', but when I finish 6 and take another crack at 7, I'll at least keep at it till I've gotten to where you are now, as it's evidently do-able.

Plus you're not really meant to recover all mana after each fight if you cast spells left and right. Magic balance is actually pretty great in W7, spells are extremelly powerful but also expensive and with the slow mana regen you're much better to save spell points for tougher encounters instead of blowing trash mobs with expensive fireballs every time.

Isn't Wizardry 7 the one with the rechargeable Manafood artefacts - Bottle of Old Jake's, Mana Stone? Or do people generally refrain from using those?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I absolutely love the concept of Gorros too but yeah, you get all the uber items at the very end so you don't enjoy them for long. It be a different talk if you could transfer them, than again it's probably for the best. Tranfering all the OP items from 6 to 7 made the gameplay kindda pointless.

The balance in 7 is already wonky, right now the way I fight is i mindlessly click the "Fight" button rapidly six times and then press Esc which makes the combat go lightning fast. I've been doing it since, like, the Rattkin Ruins for 95% of fights. At least the combat in the first 1/3 of the game is challenging but if you import ubershit then it's the autopilot combat for the entire game for you.

Btw whatcha talking about Darth Roxor, the Gorrors contain the best items in the game (tho dependent on RNG).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't Wizardry 7 the one with the rechargeable Manafood artefacts - Bottle of Old Jake's, Mana Stone? Or do people generally refrain from using those?

Yep, you can use them, they're pretty good actually. The Milk of Magnamasia and the Manastone can be recharged so they can last you forever. But as I said, when you get them your party is usually so overpowered you don't really need them. At that stage it's rare to meet groups you can't absolutely slaughter just with your weapons.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw I never cease to be amazed how utterly useless most of the *maps* are. You wouldn't be able to create more vague and incomprehensible clues in a laboratory if you tried. I've played Wiz7 like six times over the 20 years and I NEVER rememeber you have to wait until the midnight to get to Brombadeg, among others.

I've read a couple of times about how swamped the Sir-Tech help line was after every Wizardry release. I genuinelly wonder if it directly affected game design. If Bradley intentionally made the hints for the puzzles basically useless so that people spent their dough on paid help line.

And today people bitch about 1day DLCs and microtransactions. Pff. In the olden days devs really knew how to really piss people off.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Even more amusing is that the hint book they sold is just as useless, with a similar approach of opaque non-hints and omitting relevant information

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Btw I never cease to be amazed how utterly useless most of the *maps* are. You wouldn't be able to create more vague and incomprehensible clues in a laboratory if you tried. I've played Wiz7 like six times over the 20 years and I NEVER rememeber you have to wait until the midnight to get to Brombadeg, among others.

I've read a couple of times about how swamped the Sir-Tech help line was after every Wizardry release. I genuinelly wonder if it directly affected game design. If Bradley intentionally made the hints for the puzzles basically useless so that people spent their dough on paid help line.

And today people bitch about 1day DLCs and microtransactions. Pff. In the olden days devs really knew how to really piss people off.

The whole Map quest concept is sound in theory, but the implementation is ass cancer. No one even tells you what they are or why you need them, but everyone else is after them. It's so important there's a dedicated button that tells you where every discovered map is and who has them. Once they get them, they just sell them to you. That's it. It's like every NPC is a collector who stays up all night to buy limited-edition items for the sole purpose of selling them on Ebay.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
No one even tells you what they are or why you need them

They're marked as critical quest items, so you keep them. When NPC's tell you who has what map, you realize that these are important. Some things don't need to be spelled out for you to figure it out.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
No one even tells you what they are or why you need them

They're marked as critical quest items, so you keep them. When NPC's tell you who has what map, you realize that these are important. Some things don't need to be spelled out for you to figure it out.

Two reasons:

A. Wiz 6 you couldn't toss quest items. Wiz 7 you can, but you don't know this right away. Going from one game to the next, you naturally assume any item you can throw away isn't important. Little do you realize this game will happily allow you to trash quest items. By the time you figure this out you may be seriously screwed.

B. The maps make no sense. Its not about hand-holding, it's about the game world having some kind of logical flow to it. Every NPC in the world is looking for these things and none of them will say why. They don't even mention it. Asking the NPCs keywords like "Map" or "Astral Dominae" gets you canned generic replies. It's absurd. You have to hit the Lore button and then they regurgitate the NPC_LOCATION.LIB file contents like some kind of robot. It's a sucky design. It actually feels unfinished.

The conversation system and NPC interaction in Wiz7 is just horrid. The only thing any NPC says outside of a very few specific quests is if you ask them about a specific faction they will say if they like/dislike them. That's it. Compare that to Wiz8 where everyone yammers on about all sorts of things. Everyone in Arnika has all kinds of tidbits of information for the player to follow up on. This isn't even a new idea, older games like the freaking Ultimas or The Magic Candle had way better dialogue/clue systems.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A. Wiz 6 you couldn't toss quest items. Wiz 7 you can, but you don't know this right away. Going from one game to the next, you naturally assume any item you can throw away isn't important. Little do you realize this game will happily allow you to trash quest items. By the time you figure this out you may be seriously screwed.

I don't think that's a big problem. Even when I played it for the first time, it didn't take long to figure out critical items. And if you screw it up the first time, you start again.

B. It makes no sense. Its not about hand-holding, it's about the game world having some kind of logical flow to it. Every NPC in the world is looking for these things and none of them will say why. They don't even mention it. Asking the NPCs keywords like "Map" or "Astral Dominae" gets you canned generic replies. It's absurd.

It's a secret and they don't talk about it. Though yeah, more and better NPC responses would have been nice.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I NEVER rememeber you have to wait until the midnight to get to Brombadeg, among others.

Wait, that's a thing? Holy shit, I did this completely by accident :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom