Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
FUNHOUSE SO FUN

good fucking riddance
fucking rats

gonna try kill some giants now like Todd likes, maybe get some actual new cool gear

although it does spring imagination. I imagined razuka rats dressed as clowns from KISS horror game sticking poison daggers in my characters & music from mcGee Alice. in 3d engine giant fantasy fair with water slides with death clownrats would probably look amazing + you would understand what the fuck you are doing with ropes and balls.

as is I wanted to use rope to hang myself and stick both balls into Barlone's throat. what a funny rat, he probably thinks these water slides are so fun. fucker.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
maybe get some actual new cool gear

67969177.jpg

haraw

Educated
Okay I need help with Wiz 7. I did Conan, a fighter with endurance, and he died horribly in the first fight against bugs. Don't know how to rez him (I healed him with my priest, his health got up, but nothing else). I have a character, Fighter, with sword equipped who cannot "Fight". The option is just not there.

Also everyone just keep missing even with sleep on enemies. They don't miss tho.

What's the deal with this game ? What am I doing wrong ?

There's a bug with fighter class in Wiz7 that causes them to take double damage from enemies. I heard you can try to fix that by ediing some files, but i'd recommend just using any other class.

Shadenuat

Arcane
DEX/SPD add extra attacks + dual wielding. High DEX/SPD char attacks 3-4 times, high STR char gets +1-2 damage.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You don't dump anything anyway, since stat ups are random. Stats are just pesky speed bumps to the class-switching extravaganza

Shadenuat

Arcane
I rolled and got lucky to get enough 18 DEX/SPD front liners and that doubled my initial efforts/clearing speed compared to first (abandoned and derp) party. Valk with spear +2 attacks like 3 times per monster, dual wielders I kinda lose count. I also have Thiaf who I dream to change to ninja but with newly obtained vorpal sword & poison dagger he is not that terrible. Not sure I want to change anything since in Wiz8 all this dual stuff wouldn't transfer anyway?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I'm pretty sure character level plays a significant part in the attack/round calculation, so even with low stats you get multiple attacks eventually. If you don't class change I suppose high dex/spd would be more important, but class changing will yield the greater benefits regardless. Multiple attacks from the get-go would also help a lot in the very beginning, I suppose, but I imported uber items from VI so I wouldn't know :smug:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yes, you gain extra attacks depending on level (and maybe also weapon skill) but you must also have high DEX for that to happen.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Yes, you gain extra attacks depending on level (and maybe also weapon skill) but you must also have high DEX for that to happen.
One thing I really miss going back from 8 is the ability to see the effect your stats and items have on such things as swings/attack, initiative and so on. Bradley wizes are great games, but the UI in both is Very Bad, even considering their age.

Shadenuat

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/app/245430/discussions/0/371919771742937048/

this seems correct to me, although I didn't check everything.

But at least manual says you'd better get 10 swimming. Was hard since my Bishop gained about 1 physical point per 2 levels and while everyone enjoyed pool he still was swimming as good as an axe (18 INT/PIE, my Alchemist also like this, has 100+ mana in some Realms already).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Hate the swimming skill, and "point tax" skills in general. I see no good reason why you need to pay 10 skill points on ALL characters in order to access mandatory (?) content. Otherwise, yeah, equipment trumps damage from skill multipliers, same as in most rpgs. In VI Vit was important only at chargen and only then because of a bug. 8 really did improve the system massively, although it's also less fun there in some ways.

Happy to see my love of Blinding Flash vindicated. Best spell in the game, hands down.

Also post your party already pls

Shadenuat

Arcane
I dunno you get really easy way of leveling it so it's not big deal. Of course it could have been better - it doesn't seem there are many optional areas with hidden content avaible to swimmers/climbers, but just like scribing/artifacts it does add some immershun and sense of progress. Could have been designed better ofc.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
It's just really counterproductive to the fun of the skill system when you have to put points that could otherwise have gone to skills that are useful throughout, into the "allow you to not die immediately lolz" gimmick skill. It could and should have been handled better.

Covenant

Savant
I mean I'd be there with you if the skill system had any relevance beyond the Academic section. Your weapon skill is likely at 100 before you've even left New City, and Physical is largely pointless (except thieves/ninjas). Only Academic has any real decision-making, and even there...

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I mean I'd be there with you if the skill system had any relevance beyond the Academic section. Your weapon skill is likely at 100 before you've even left New City, and Physical is largely pointless (except thieves/ninjas). Only Academic has any real decision-making, and even there...
...which is why VI is superior :obviously:

Shadenuat

Arcane
haha there are like AAA cutscenes in the game t'rang terrorists blowing umpani base to shit ruining meh quests
visceral gaming

DUTY, POWER, VICTORY!

Jason Liang

Arcane
Refer to my criticism of skill point systems. NO rpg has ever had a skill point system that actually made the game better or more fun.

IMO the best and only good way to do skills in an rpg is to have skills chosen and SET at character creation. That even makes sense from a naturalistic standpoint - an adventure is going to last, what, a year or two? So your character is going to go from a novice to a master thief in 2 years? Skill point systems are retarded.

Skills should function as passive or active feats that a character takes at creation, basically like Elminage Gothic EX skills.

Last edited:
Rode into level 10 on Wizardry 1 original, last night. Had my three lords, a bishop, thief, and a samurai. Thinking I'm all cocked and locked got my ass handed very quickly in the first few fights. However, I am not finding Wizardry 1 that as hard as some have said it was, the 10th level has a teleport right to the castle, and getting there via elevators is fast.

Now it's just more grinding and beating that boss. Got a kick-ass dragon sword and some dragon plate mail, tons of loot on that level.

Not sure if I am honestly going to dot he entire Wizardry run, I have always wanted to. However, the stories about #4 scare the dungeons out of my pants.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Never was a big fan of tiled games, but after traveling around Wiz7 http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/images/Wizardry7-Mapd.png And doing stuff like navigating around, swimming, climbing down a mountain, avoiding pits in dungeons and sliding, fighting giant fish on river, looking how tiles get added and removed (like T'Rang exploding Umpani base) jumping and falling through levels, and appreciating overall connectivity of the world, it seems like it was a big mistake to abandon this technology. It's entirely possible to combine M&M like houses with animations, maybe even dialogue trees together with parser (like Fallout did it), increase complexity of combat like Wiz7 has with it's stealth like say magic shields (Stranger of Sword City does it right?) and with the help of modern graffix make some big worlds in that style. Nowadays it's mostly indie made dungeon crawlers, not big worlds like this.

Someone somewhere decided that tech should be abandoned in favor of what looks more catchy and modern, but tech is just tech, what matters is how you use it. Instead today we have Grimrock and japanese dungeon crawlers, so basically have the form, but only grindy combat games use this form. That's too bad.
(Yes there's Grimoire but that's a different lvl99 many eyed beast of it's own)

Also it really downs on me what a retard I become by playing modern games and expecting everything to hold my hand. Like when I don't stack up on resurrect potions moment I see some thinking "eh ill reload" or "eh will probably find some later". Yeah. Whatever I found I used them up and yes they cost 3000 gold but I should have bought some. But after playing some games where consumables are plenty *cough* poe *cough* I somehow thought it was okay to go on a long mountain climb and fight some giants and don't buy at least bunch of potions maybe. Because everything is always supposed to be plentiful, right?

I feel like wiz7 sucked this shit out from my wound like a poison it is. Of course you buy potions. Of course you pick the most well rounded spell selection with as many affliction removing and protection spells possible. Even stamina restoration is useful for navigating rivers and such. That just makes sense. Well, in normal rpgs.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Someone somewhere decided that tech should be abandoned in favor of what looks more catchy and modern, but tech is just tech, what matters is how you use it. Instead today we have Grimrock and japanese dungeon crawlers, so basically have the form, but only grindy combat games use this form. That's too bad.
(Yes there's Grimoire but that's a different lvl99 many eyed beast of it's own)

At one point the crpg industry branched. Instead of going towards the Wizardry VII path (Bradley), instead they went towards Ultima Underworld path (Warren Spector). Hence you have the development of Deus Ex and ever since then devs have been trying to make the next Deus Ex. Hence blobbers died and you get your Bloodlines and Fallout NVs and Skyrims.

Just let blobbers die bro. The genre never found a way out of Wizardry I's shadow. There's only so many times one can go back to the Funhouse.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Of course you buy potions.

i never did

why would you
I managed to grab the awesome chest in giants cave without restfull spell using potions for example. Even with 100 swimming my bishop still drowned through 9 water tiles (tbh he would have drowned even with spell anyway). Same for any strong mobs with Draining cloud spell.
Remove poison were important in rattkin ruins since sometimes you can't just heal over 200 rounds of poison on every character
Anti paralyze potion was useful in chamber with paralyze gas although I did have some on me.
I bought resurrects at least a few times due tackling high level mobs
Also you can't finish puzzle in funhouse without quest potion.

At one point the crpg industry branched
There's no reason to abandon any style of rpg, ever, regardless what industry thinks. Especially if formula has been perfected through years so much. Throwing it under the bus is just pointless.

These are (design)ideas mr Liang. And ideas are declineproof.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you can easily find all these potions and scrolls in the world tho

except quest potion obv but that hardly counts

Shadenuat

Arcane
Depends how you go through game/dungeons. At some point last place I found shitton of potions was orkogre castle and... then it was it, never found lots after. Just maps maps maps.

For rattkin ruins>funhouse I bought quite a few pots.

Oh right, also bought cure disease from munkharama for rebe egg. I used one I found cause high tier slimes put disease on u.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom