Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wolf Among Us - Fables Telltale adventure game

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I thought Telltale forgot about having the Fables license while they will swimming in cash from Walking Dead. Guess not.

It's coming out this Summer. I'd like it to be more like their older adventure games, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You never know with Telltale. You can get The Walking Dead or Jurassic Park.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I'm just going to sit and wait on this one. I'll wait for a trailer. I am a HUGE fan of the Fable comics.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like how they haven't said at all what kind of gameplay this will have. I would guess after Walking Dead though it will be the same exact kind of thing.

I like the concept though, at least more than zombies.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I love Fables, so to say I'm ambivalent about seeing Telltale's take on the series is a bit of an understatement. They couldn't screw it up *too* badly, right? Right? :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Telltale Games ‏@telltalegames1m
1st screens & interview on our new series #TheWolfAmongUs based on FABLES arriving online today. Stay tuned! #howl pic.twitter.com/1GcuoWW4zm

BJrPwc0CIAEtVYv.jpg:large

Oh man. As a HUGE Fable's fan I'm not sure what to expect. So I'll just cautiously hide under the covers of my bed in terror of what they might do for this and peek out for now....

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...back-again-to-torment-with-tough-choices.aspx

Coming off The Walking Dead, its most successful and widely acclaimed graphic adventure to date, Telltale Games has finally found its stride. While previous titles like Tales of Monkey Island and Back to the Future only found niche audiences, The Walking Dead brought Telltale’s episodic storytelling into the mainstream. Though it was light on gameplay, it lured in gamers with its interactive narrative, gripping its audience emotionally by giving them power over the story and allowing them to forge bonds with the characters. What do you do for an encore after creating such a captivating formula? You build on it, of course.​

This is a 3 page article, so still reading...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Walking Dead received its share of criticism for not having the best action sequences. The Wolf Among Us hopes to change that with high-action, cinematic fight sequences. You’re Bigby!​

“One of the awesome things about Fables is that [they’re] hard to kill, so that means we can have really slam-bang cool fights that are fun, visceral, get adrenaline flowing...and then we get that coupled with the consequences,” Kaufman adds.​

meh

DeepOcean

Arcane
The Walking Dead received its share of criticism for not having the best action sequences. The Wolf Among Us hopes to change that with high-action, cinematic fight sequences. You’re Bigby!​

“One of the awesome things about Fables is that [they’re] hard to kill, so that means we can have really slam-bang cool fights that are fun, visceral, get adrenaline flowing...and then we get that coupled with the consequences,” Kaufman adds.​

meh
Next generation adventure games fights...

I actually really like Telltale's TWD, but I wouldn't want to see it used as a base for future games. A large part of the reason why the TWD games work for me is because they're an adaptation of a comic that's been adapted into a tv show - there's something about that which makes me a lot more accepting of the idea of them just making an 'interactive tv episode' (which is what they're styled as, down to the way that the opening and ending credits are presented). I didn't expect anything more from them, and once they fixed their most basics after the first episode (overuse of quicktime events, and not enough 'unmarked' choices) they managed to do the 'interactive story' thing a lot more effectively than Farenheit and Heavy Rain - better writing than Farenheit, a lot more C+C (not that that's difficult) and (with the exception of the first episode) without the insistence on using absurd quicktime sequences for things that should have been doable as part of the game's general mechanics.

But there needs to be a clear line drawn between that and the adventure game genre - as it is, there's a real danger of adventure games losing their core gameplay in the same way as traditional crpgs.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't have a problem with Tell Tale making interactive movies, they should just stop calling their stuff games or worse: adventure games. The last thing I want is their thing become the new norm for adventure games. There are still a few good adventure game developers like Daedakic and the last thing I want is to see their market shrink because dumbfuck journalists continue to say that Walking Dead or Portal is the future of adventure games.

Eyeball

Arcane
I just want another season of Sam & Max.
Seconded. I have zero interest in these comic-books-for-adult-nerds video game adaptations. S&M was a pretty fun series of games with some good jokes here and there (as well as a few fucking hilarious ones) and I wouldn't mind seeing the series continued.

Telltale's Monkey Island was also quite good, but only from episode 3 onwards. Episode 1 and 2 were sort of meh, despite excellent voice acting by Dominic Armato.

Eddard Stark

Educated
I'm moderately interested, but don't expect anything of real value from Telltale. But of course it'll get overpraised to the heavens and beyond like TWD.

I don't have a problem with Tell Tale making interactive movies, they should just stop calling their stuff games or worse: adventure games. The last thing I want is their thing become the new norm for adventure games. There are still a few good adventure game developers like Daedakic and the last thing I want is to see their market shrink because dumbfuck journalists continue to say that Walking Dead or Portal is the future of adventure games

While I completely agree, I can't help but point out that labeling the latest Telltale creations as adventure games is far from hitting rock bottom of a game journalist's mind. The most hopeless of them like Nathan "Hipster" Grayson from RPS have been propagating TWD as a new innovative form of RPGs. I mean FFS, WTF! And of course the more moronic the idea the more followers it gets eventually. The seed has already been planted and the disease is spreading. Check e.g. the comments to the RPS newsbit on The Wolf Among Us:

Interesting. Walking Dead was the best rpg I’ve ever played, so I think I’ll keep an eye on this.

:flamesaw:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm moderately interested, but don't expect anything of real value from Telltale. But of course it'll get overpraised to the heavens and beyond like TWD.

I don't have a problem with Tell Tale making interactive movies, they should just stop calling their stuff games or worse: adventure games. The last thing I want is their thing become the new norm for adventure games. There are still a few good adventure game developers like Daedakic and the last thing I want is to see their market shrink because dumbfuck journalists continue to say that Walking Dead or Portal is the future of adventure games

While I completely agree, I can't help but point out that labeling the latest Telltale creations as adventure games is far from hitting rock bottom of a game journalist's mind. The most hopeless of them like Nathan "Hipster" Grayson from RPS have been propagating TWD as a new innovative form of RPGs. I mean FFS, WTF! And of course the more moronic the idea the more followers it gets eventually. The seed has already been planted and the disease is spreading. Check e.g. the comments to the RPS newsbit on The Wolf Among Us:

Interesting. Walking Dead was the best rpg I’ve ever played, so I think I’ll keep an eye on this.

:flamesaw:
Nathan "Hipster" Grayson or John "Mangina" Walker who is the worst RPS game "journalist"? :lol:

aris

Arcane
  1. Man, I don't know anything about this yet, but I fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the art direction
  2. 138126661812.jpg

3. article_top_1.jpg

4. ss1.jpg

5. ss0.jpg

6. Just as walking dead, they're hyping this as a C&C game. We'll see just how much C&C there will be in this game, or if it will be mostly minor or cosmetic C&C like there was in the walking dead series.
  7. Either way, I'm picking it up, since telltale showed beyond all doubt that they have considerable talent when it comes to story telling. Probably the best in the industry right now at crafting strong linear stories.

aris

Arcane
  1. Let's hope not. I don't know why, but the protagonist seems less of a goody two-shoes than the protagonist (except for him being a murderer and all that) in the walking dead, which is a good thing, if it is true.

aris

Arcane
  1. Man! Just noticed! It has Italian frogs in it! At least judging by that poster on the wall on the first screenshot. Now I'm even more sure of getting it!

Athelas

Arcane
That art looks mouth-wateringly pretty. Still skeptical because I thought the writing in the Walking Dead was absolute shit.

It's apparently coming out this Friday.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I couldn't even bring myself to play The Walking Dead. I think I'll be skipping on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom