Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The XP for Combat Megathread! DISCUSS!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Random wildlife encounters in BG1 could be pretty deadly (spiders, basilisks, ogre berserker, black talon elites etc.) so I don't see the problem, you shouldn't feel like a tourist while exploring the wilderness, it should feel dangerous."

Of course. You got rewarded for conquering those enocunters. See, baslisks and their juicy xp. Talon elites also could drop nastya arrows.

I asked a question on the Obsidian baords and all I got was a bunch of dumb fucks.

Do you get xp for 'conquering' the beats (be it by killing or some otherway)? if not, why not? Why is the ogre worthy of xp but not the beetles? because some toolbag npc ordered you to deal with him? FUCK OFF. The beetles are a challenge to be overcome and the player should be rewarded for it. FFS

As for difficulty, a) I'm smarter than everyone so I would have an easier time b) people in this thread made a good point theese arenew players who have no experience with PE rules dumped into mid game of coruse they'll have trouble and c) this siw hy i would take my time in the town and read everything I could but I'm awesomesauce that way d) challenge is good IF you are properly rewarded for it.

"I stepped on a web trap and got raped by a single sword spider."

Fukkin' wuss.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Burial Isle ftw, Josh's YCS avatar ftw

ridmqt.png

"Do you get xp for 'conquering' the beats (be it by killing or some otherway)? if not, why not? Why is the ogre worthy of xp but not the beetles? because some toolbag npc ordered you to deal with him? FUCK OFF. The beetles are a challenge to be overcome and the player should be rewarded for it."

The reward for killing beetles is the satisfaction you get from beating them, also it looks like they drop monster bits. To paraphrase, when you get tired of killing things, talk to them, when you get tired of talking to them, sneak past them, when you get tired of sneaking past them, stop playing.

Josh has also openly wondered how all you "I need to be rewarded with xp" people can even play games that aren't RPGs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The reward for killing beetles is the satisfaction you get from beating them, also it looks like they drop monster bits. To paraphrase, when you get tired of killing things, talk to them, when you get tired of talking to them, sneak past them, when you get tired of sneaking past them, stop playing."

You are an idiot.

"Josh has also openly wondered how all you "I need to be rewarded with xp" people can even play games that aren't RPGs. Josh Sawyer's words of wisdom:"

I openly wonder if Josh realzies that RPGs are not other genres and I play other genres for other reasons. Also, if xp is so evil, why have xp at all in this game? L0L

so its true i dont get xp for killing random mobs? if yes than thats fucking retarded and i doubt i will do anything but rush the main quest. whats the point of exploration if not additional xp? i still remember killing basilisks/ankhegs/ice wolf in bg1 i randomly encountered. that instant jump from lvl 1 to 3-4:bounce:
The reward for killing beetles is the satisfaction you get from beating them, also it looks like they drop monster bits. .

you cant be fucking serious:retarded:

Rake

Arcane
so its true i dont get xp for killing random mobs? if yes than thats fucking retarded and i doubt i will do anything but rush the main quest. whats the point of exploration if not additional xp? i still remember killing basilisks/ankhegs/ice wolf in bg1 i randomly encountered. that instant jump from lvl 1 to 3-4:bounce:
The reward for killing beetles is the satisfaction you get from beating them, also it looks like they drop monster bits. .

:balance:
but i think the no combat xp is a good decision.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's going to be sooo fun when the people who think no combat XP is horrible play the game and realize to their surprise that they don't actually give a fuck.

Actually, that's going to happen with a lot of things in this game.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm curious to see the implementation in a CRPG, but I can say that divorcing XP from monster kills in the PnP games I run and focusing more on rewarding players for overcoming obstacles has made a huge difference in the way the game plays (for the better).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Who cares about combat xp. The question remains why do you get xp for beating the ogre but not the beetles. Watching the videos, you received 1500 xp for entering the ogre cave then 3000xp for killing/beating the ogre. Why is the ogre challenge worthy of xp but not the beetles? WTF? What haoppens if I'm a druid, I use 'talk with isnects/animals' and convince the beetles to leave the area or help me with the pgre 9as he hunts them too); shouldn't I get xp for that? WTF!?!

Oh yeah, because the player is a slave to NPCs and onyl gets xp when he goes to where he's told to go. Also, you get even more xp when you turn the ogre head in. LMAO

It's not about kill xp so FUCK OFF.

Last edited:
It's going to be sooo fun when the people who think no combat XP is horrible play the game and realize to their surprise that they don't actually give a fuck.

lol no. if i didnt actually give a fuck i wouldnt complain in this thread.

selective xp rewards are shit and restrict replayability.

Hugh Vagoth

Educated
I thought Josh and company made it very clear early on that there would be no XP reward for killing stuff. NV didin't give you a whole lot of XP for kills either iirc.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I thought Josh and company made it very clear early on that there would be no XP reward for killing stuff."

Nobody's arguing otherwise...

imweasel

The point is to just skip the extremely dangerous beetles. If you don't need beetle bits (for crafting) then just skip them. Skip everything not blocking your path actually, why fucking bother.

I also think it is also pretty retarded, but oh well, you can't always have it the way you want it. Game still looks nice though (except for the blue circles of course).

:channeling Jaesun:
How so?
it means that to get stronger with your character everyone will have to do the same quests (probably in very similiar order) to get that phat xp.

so when playing for 7th time there will be no option to : skip the same quests you did in your last 6 playthroughs-> fight some random mobs in wilderness->get STRONG -> next boss gets rekt

in bg1 i could proceed with my team of lvl 1-2 adventureres to nashkeel and have rather tough fights in mines and around it or i could kill ankhegs in the north and get that xp or meet basilisks by chance and kill them. or roam the wilderness and get better and stronger by killing random bandits or other adventures team you could find in bg1. none of that was quest related but was fun and had reward
also what Volourn said. killing ogre lets me gain lvl but raping 20 spiders in nearby cave not? lol:retarded:

Who the hell needs xp for grinding on random monsters? That shit is terrible

who said grinding?its about the sense of adventure and progress

DraQ

Arcane

No kill XP confirmed as good design decision.
:incline:

whats the point of exploration if not additional xp?
How about lewt and (possibly) information?

Personally I'm tired of supposedly cereberal (spelling intentional) games where you spend most of the time murdering shit for no reason.

You mean selective xp rewards like getting the XPs for killing shit, but none for sneaking past it even though it also tackles the problem? :stupid:

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I don't get Josh's 'every quest solution should reward equal XP' thing. If people are going to fight enemies regardless of not getting any XP, that goes both ways: people who want to play stealthy/diplomatic won't be put off by not getting as much XP. Combat will be the more challenging solution, consume tactical/strategic resources, risk companion maims/death, and probably more demanding of a high experience party. It makes sense to hand out more XP for those solutions. Fear of 'grinding' is pretty unfounded as long stock wilderness enemies don't give out a ton of XP - I never felt the need to grind enemies in New Vegas, because questing was obviously a more efficient activity. Besides, who gives a fuck if people choose to grind for XP?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No xp for kills worked fine for NOLF 2."

It worked fine in SRR. It worked terribly in BL. Your fukkin' point?

"I don't get Josh's 'every quest solution should reward equal XP' thing. If people are going to fight enemies regardless of not getting any XP, that goes both ways: people who want to play stealthy/diplomatic won't be put off by not getting as much XP."

The funny thing is a lot of people who prefer talking to fighting solutions are the ones who often cry like babies because they get less xp. LMAO And, always whine why bother talking or sneaking when combat gives more xp. ie. They're hypocrites. I prefer talking things out too and it doesn't eprosnally bother me if someone got more xp for fighting when it makes sense. Oh noes. Talking the ogre out of attacking you is inherentl less dangerous than fighting it so why should it be rewarded the same. FFS

People who grind every last monster for every last xp drop is NOT the people you should be balancing your game around. That's fukkin' dumb.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

You realize I could say the same for all those presumed (by you, Josh and others) horrible weaknesses of BG/IE games (quest density in Athkatla, mage duels, too much randomness in combat, save or die spells, mages sitting out trash mob fights to shine in the big ones, dump stats depending on your class etc.), I don't actually give a fuck about any of them (heck I see some of them as strenghts).

Rake

Arcane
I don't get Josh's 'every quest solution should reward equal XP' thing. If people are going to fight enemies regardless of not getting any XP, that goes both ways: people who want to play stealthy/diplomatic won't be put off by not getting as much XP. Combat will be the more challenging solution, consume tactical/strategic resources, risk companion maims/death, and probably more demanding of a high experience party. It makes sense to hand out more XP for those solutions. Fear of 'grinding' is pretty unfounded as long stock wilderness enemies don't give out a ton of XP - I never felt the need to grind enemies in New Vegas, because questing was obviously a more efficient activity. Besides, who gives a fuck if people choose to grind for XP?
Why? If anything, combat should give less XP, since combat is the dumbest, harder solution, for parties unable to finish the quest in a more elegant way. The more efficient way should be rewarded more, and more efficient is most of the time the quicker, easiest, spend less resources way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That way lies DX:HR which was terribad because it encourages certain playstyles/activities.

If something's fun, do it. If it's not fun, don't do it. XP bribery is a failure.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Or you could not make bad gameplay solutions.

imweasel

If something's fun, do it. If it's not fun, don't do it. XP bribery is a failure.
Then why bribe players with XP to complete sidequests?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom