Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theme Feedback

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All right, after much fighting with the CSS, the RPG Codex theme is in. If there's something that doesn't look right, assume I missed it and complain about it here.

If you like it, :brofist: this post!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Very good! As said in the other thread, the moderation queue field gets a bit overlapped by the codex troll, no biggie though.

One, rather personal preference - could you get rid of the frame around the avatars?

Antagonist

Liturgist
The various problems I had with the former iteration of the RPGCodex theme are gone apparently. Will you provide a fixed width alternative as previously mentioned?

JrK

Prophet
Much better with this font. But there is still too much empty space between everything. As far as I can see it's there because the sidebar with personal info of the poster is so big. Any way to change that?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Much better with this font. But there is still too much empty space between everything. As far as I can see it's there because the sidebar with personal info of the poster is so big. Any way to change that?
Actually, each post takes up slightly less height than Original Codex. I know because I built it with the Original Codex open on my localhost and flicked back and forth. Even took screenshots and measured it in Paint Shop Pro.

There is an issue with the list of threads in a forum though, in that there are about 6 less threads displayed on a full-screen (at whatever my resolution is) in New Codex vs Original Codex. That's to do with the little avatar image though and is something I left after reducing it down a fair bit.

I can't recall, but weren't the names always on top of the avatar, not below it?
They were. I decided to leave avatars up top for now - unless it's something that really bugs people?

The various problems I had with the former iteration of the RPGCodex theme are gone apparently. Will you provide a fixed width alternative as previously mentioned?
It's in. Try it. One day I might even try and center it...

Very good! As said in the other thread, the moderation queue field gets a bit overlapped by the codex troll, no biggie though.
The what now is overlapping where? Screenshot?

One, rather personal preference - could you get rid of the frame around the avatars?
I can. I kind of got used to it though. I think it ruins some transparent avatars but avatars are messed anyway (there being no gallery and with the resizing issue). I *might* look into it deeper. Maybe.

JrK

Prophet
Perhaps it wouldn't be a problem if sigs and message content would be better aligned when a post isn't that big. Still, even if the old Codex was worse, there is room for improvement. For instance, look at the gap between your comments and quotes below. That kind of stuff can be tweaked.

I loathe wasted space like this. :obviously:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Looks good:thumbsup:

Edit Just noticed that the search box and gog banner aren't positioned correctly.I am using Firefox 9

o64hY.jpg

racofer

Thread Incliner
Fucking awesome. Now this is more like the good'ol Codex that I'm used to.

:love:

Now, the only thing that is missing is, when performing searches or viewing the "What's New" posts, there should be an extra column that shows which each thread belongs to which forum, instead of being displayed underneath the thread's name. That would make identifying shit not so good threads from the good ones, since we all know what kind of content is to be expected depending on the subforum.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The what now is overlapping where? Screenshot?

unbenannt1ogoak.png

There. As said, no real biggie, and stuff.

I can. I kind of got used to it though. I think it ruins some transparent avatars but avatars are messed anyway (there being no gallery and with the resizing issue). I *might* look into it deeper. Maybe.

Yeah, it fucks with the transparent avatars. If you could look into that and maybe even the resizing, finally we could add our sprite based avatars back. :love:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:salute:

now just fix the resizing avatars, and it'll be perfect. I want my Black Grail back.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks mainly good, I do miss some aspects of the previous skin, but have to digest it a bit more to say what exactly.

roFKP.png

x6cQi.png

Important-ish:
- Poster and posted before the thread like in codex (can leave it below as well)
- Reply, brofist and report buttons above post so you don't have to scroll down on long posts (especially for image spam etc., probably want the moderate options up there as well.)
- New post icon on left instead of right.
- Stick/locked icons on left instead of right.
- A lot of the text/elements use the same colors, nothing really stands out. Codex was like this as well, but it would make the forum a lot more user friendly if you could separate elements with a glance. Red alert works well for highlights, for example.

Visual nitpicks:
- Borders and margins look "a bit" ugly at some places
- Element widths vary wildly
- Avatar border, separator line etc. would look better with a different color
- Breadcrumb with a rounded separator would probably look better than the current one
- Quotes look bad. Must be missing the rounded edges or something.
- Background on fixed width could definitely be also repeating on the right hand side, now it looks very empty.

Overall a definite improvement on the old shit, once we get the minor kinks ironed out.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Looks fucking good. As others, the only gripe I have is the name below the avatars, but that's not too big of a deal. All text seems to be readable now, at least.

EDIT: Oh wait, the smiley function sucks ass. When I open it the majority of the smilies are out of screen, and sometimes I can't scroll down it for various reasons.

A few things that stick out in the RPGCodex theme (not fixed width one):
1. The navbar is misaligned and the search field overlaps it (screen). Could be intentional, but it looks odd. I'd prefer it aligned with the bar below it.
2. Signatures and the separator could use some subtlety - like smaller and/or darker font.
3. I'd prefer post date to be on top of the message, like before - especially, when reading threads with long posts, like LPs. Or, at least, move the "New" indicator to the left side of the post, if too many will whine against the post date being there.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron

Major problem: I can't roll the dice! I used to have it on 20 and every time I clicked there by accident, I spend at least 5 minutes trying to roll another 20. My ADHD demands that there's a 20 displayed on that dice. Might severly impact my ability to browse this Forum.

Banned Alt

Novice
replaces this questionmark avatar with something less bright

The box on the right need to be aligned to something, kill the gradients, stop the moving gifs if im not logged in

08tta.png

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
EfBRf.png

Chrome is weirded by the style, for some reason (when you mark text).

Also, the small stat box on forum main page (right side) looked actually better with transparent background and colors, imho.

Edit: Avatar before name looked better. For some reason the avatar looks very out of place now. Might be the new size, dimensions or then I just got used to looking for the name below the avatar.

Banned Alt

Novice
forgot the white around the boxes on the the right of every subforum with this stuff:
"Latest: Age of Decadence December..."
"Davaris, 28 min ago"

remove the white borders and the different background color in those boxes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom