Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[theoretical question] what kind of an RPG would you prefer?

Which one of them would you consider a better game?

• The well written linear RPG

• The C&C heavy RPG with mediocre writing

Results are only viewable after voting.

hivemind

I wonder what the general thoughts about how games and RPGs should look like are among Codexers so I offer this mental exercise to you

If you had to choose between;

a very linear RPG with a plot of great quality(something like monte christo, but better !) but with almost no real plot C&C and very strong narrative railroading

or

an RPG with a mediocre to slightly bad(something like a Friday night movie on the telly or a semi-generic fantasy novel) writing and general plot structure but with insane interactivity and well developed C&C, with every choice(of which there would be plenty) having great impact on the story

now just to clarify the first RPG would not necessarily have to be a "cinematic experience" the rigid and non-interactive characteristic would remain strictly in the narrative dimension.

also pls share your thoughts and reasons for your vote

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
The RPG with great gameplay and deep character customization + great combat.

If I want a good story I read a book. If I want C&C I go play pen and paper.

mondblut

Arcane
Assuming anything could salvage "very strong narrative railroading" into something digestible is preposterious.

Atchodas

Augur
one with Open World and good systems where you make your own story by interacting with the world

Neanderthal

Arcane
I picked the latter because interactivity is the strength of the medium, but in a sense i'm a fucking hypocrite because I love me some Legacy of Kain, though that's not really an RPG I think, more a fighting and cutscene simulator. LoK i'd rather play than watch many movies or read some books though.

Thing is I hate cutscenes deciding the outcome of the game, no matter what you've done: Deus Ex:HR comes to mind where you become an idiot in cinematics or the Witcher 2 having the Letho fight turn out the same no matter your performance.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Games should be *fun* to play, first and foremost. An interesting story is an added plus, but not the nucleus of the experience (if I want a good story I read a book).

Good RPG for me =
- Classless, skill-based character development
- Open world exploration, flexible quest-structure
- (isometric viewpoint)
- Fun combat - and lots of it!- preferably turn-based, but like RTWP as well.

So yeah…games fitting those categories are basically Fallout, Arcanum, Underrail and Serpent in the Staglands. Might and Magic and Bloodlines are awesome too, fulfilling the essential requirements.

- Digg

Shadenuat

Arcane
A story with insane interactivity where your every choice matters can't be bad or not entertaining at least - you need to have special set of writing skills and dedication to achieve that, as well as achieve some milestones like developed NPCs

Kem0sabe

Arcane
An rpg not developed by:

Obsidian
Inxile
Bioware
All the shovelware German and French developers
Them cinematic potatoes

The little incline we have is coming from indie developers who are chasing their dream rpgs.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I would rather play a linear action game with good story that considers itself an RPG than a messy RPG with terrible story.
The linear one would be the better game and the other would be the better RPG, from my point of view.

So, basically, KOTOR2 or Way of the Samurai?

One of these games is part of a fun, goofy series that I've sunk probably a couple hundred hours into, playing around with reactivity and the combat system. The other is a remarkable story, with one of the best antagonists in gaming, that's an absolute chore to play, taking little advantage of the medium's strengths.

Pretty easy victory for the high reactivity.

Goblino

Savant
C&C hands down. I don't sit here and operate my computer for hours on end just to see what some hack and his idiot fans think is brilliant writing. I play games to see how the game reacts to me and how I can impose myself on the game. I suck off the Gothic games a lot and I'll do so briefly here. Yeah C&C is shallow in Gothic games and story is like an old pulp fiction, but dammit, those games react to the player's behavior and get you invested through gameplay opportunity and challenges, not because your party member waited til act three to tell you she had been raped and that you should kill the villain that much harder cause he's a bastard. Games should definitely work for great writing and characters, but I have a deeper connection to Diego, and Xardas because they gave me opportunity as a player to explore and play in new ways. Reading is boring and the best stories in games are the ones that emerge from gameplay and what you see happening to the world. Listen to me I'm so smart and my opinion is important.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Story. C&C is cool but I wouldn't enjoyed myself enough having shitty story so I wouldn't be able to profit from it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well written comes first. That said, if the C&C game is structured so that the writing is not foregrounded, then it wins by a mile. (e.g. a King's Bounty like game with Russianiglish would not matter if the C&C occurred robustly at the mechanics level)

Apexeon

Arcane
Currently Indies are giving me what I want.

Underrail is lining up as my GOTY (my game of the year award is currently worth 25.52 cents).
Apexeon approved must buy.

- Isometric (I am a fanboy)
- Classless
- Open world
- C&C

Story --> go read a book.

POE has taken a trip to the recycle bin (along with its rubbish concept art, I paid $50 for a couple of extra pictures).
**** its boring story and dead boring combat. The only thing it did good was make some good isometric maps to look at.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I hate generic fantasy shit, but I chose the C&C-heavy one because I want to see what that would even be like.

laclongquan

Arcane
Gameplay, of course~

The problem of wellwritten but linear game is that once you finish it, you have no need to replay. Unless you like to read shits again, in which case you should go find books, not play games.

Writting quality is always of secondary importance in a game. Nice to have, but not essential.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
People seems to answer C&C by equating it with gameplay. I personally chose story over C&C, but I would also choose gameplay over story. Either people are misunderstanding the initial question or the initial question is not properly asked.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Where's kingcomrade option?
These choices really boil down to question "Would you rather eat bucket full of shit or drink bucket full of piss".

hivemind

Where's kingcomrade option?
These choices really boil down to question "Would you rather eat bucket full of shit or drink bucket full of piss".
The point of this thread is to figure out who are the shit eaters and who are the piss drinkers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom