Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

marbleman

Educated
Behind Closed Doors is one of the best sounding FMs ever as well. The clarinet and trumpet ambients work really well with the dusk setting and feel very organic.

Divinity: Original Sin
So, finished another FM. This time it was "Kingsbridge", by eternauta. At first glance, the mission is very beautiful. It does feel like a medieval vilage. The orange/brown palette gives some atmosphere, but it really gets old after sometime. And then you have the frozen canal and it's sewer like pathways that are this teal/blue pallete, that is also beautiful, but you don't have anything to tone down this heavy color contrast. It feels a modern game engine with piss filter after sometime, and that the blueish hues were made as a means to break this brown monopoly, but it actually makes it more evident.

The mission itself is a chore. It's never challenging, but you have to go back and forth a lot. There are some interesting gimmicks, like shops that you can actually interact with and buy necessary items, but it's never necessary since you can find all items for free if you explore a lot. The story is about a plague in this town, and you have three lords which you have to break in their houses. Problem is, you have to go back and forth around their mansions, and there's only one entrance to each one of them. I like when it's difficult to find a way in, but you should have an easy access after you entered and explored. I hate when "fake" doors are used inside buildings, and this mission has lots of them. At least make a main entrance frobable, but can be unlocked once you got inside and found the key.

There are some boring puzzles also: the paintings, very repetitive as it's the same in all three lords houses. And you can only take the right painting anyway. And you can deactivate the alarms, which makes it pointless. also, it makes for a poor art gallery.

Comparing it to Behind closed doors, I wondered, what makes me like that mission and dislike Kingsbridge? They are indeed similar and both have lots of fake doors. Well, the story is better presented in BCD, kingsbridge lacks verticallity and alternate routes that you open after you overcome an obstacle. There's a lot more variety, and doesn't look so bland after sometime, since you have lots of different architecture styles.

Anyway, I give it 5/10.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist

People who do this should be shot. Why does he own a dozen boxed copies of the same game. All that's doing is taking copies out of circulation which other people could buy. He doesn't even have discerning taste considering he owns Thiaf merchandise as well. This is just consumerist hoarding.

Get out of here, you filthy communist. I bet you pirate games and hinder the video game industry.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I was just expecting there to be like 2 dozen fan missions and then I'd be able to go to Thief 2, but now I'm seeing that there are dozens of campaigns .. I'm going to be playing Thief for the rest of my life. :abyssgazer:

edit: Is thief2x good? That's on my long list of todo.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
edit: Is thief2x good? That's on my long list of todo.

It's good. Not the best, but it's good and a decent introduction into the FM scene for a new player. It's got a decent storyline, a campaign structure like T1 and T2, and pretty high production values.

Do play Thief 2 though before jumping into FMs. Most FMs are for T2, and you should play through both T1 and T2 before jumping into them because some FMs play during or after the original stories, others have their own timeline, etc etc.

And then have fun with the 1000+ FMs available out there.
No I'm not exaggerating.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
My long term plan is to finish Thief 1 FMs, and then I will play Thief 2, and then its FMs, before going on to The Dark Mod.

Most of the FMs on the list I'm compiling so far are Thief 2 FMs. What are good Thief 1 FMs? So far, I've played through

Augustine's Revenge (4/5)
Between these Dark Walls (3.5/5)
Bloodstone Prison (3/5)
Calendra's Cistern (4.5/5)
Lord Edmund Entertains (3.5/5)
Shadow Politics (3.5/5)
Mystery Man (3/5)
The Order of the Vine (3/5)

A small number more that I forgot that I ended up dropping or removing from my list because I gave them a lower score. For me, a 5/5 is equal to or better than the original Thief 1 missions, and so far Calendra's Cistern hit all the right parts with a nice open city, cool secret passages, enjoyable story, and was almost up to the same level of polish as the original game IMO. Stuff like Between these Dark Walls could have been a 4 if they were a little less obtuse with hiding secrets/ledges to explore and mystery man had a lot of interesting things going on but a bit of fuckery with hiding secrets, any less of a score and I consider an FM not worth recommending.

I also have these so far on my thief 1 list to-play
Endless Rain
Chalice of Souls
Prowler of the Dark
Lord Robert's Painting

Also, what are some missions like the Opera mission from thief? The part I'm looking for is a building full of hidden passageways, the opera house was pure joy to run through with the secret staircase. Stuff like tunnels in a fireplace in Assassins or Thieves Guild, dumbwaiters in a mansion, I love finding and using secret avenues that you wouldn't find on the blueprints of a house to be able to hide away perfectly if someone walks by.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Valky Of the ones on your 'left to play'-list, "Endless Rain" and "Chalice of Souls" are also sprawling cityscapes like "Between These Dark Walls" and "Shadow Politics", meaning two solid 3.5-missions for you. "Lord Robert's Painting" also falls into this category, though to a lesser degree. "Prowler in the Dark" is one of Melan 's works, you really can't go wrong playing his other FMs, though most (all?) of them are for Thief 2 and/or The Dark Mod.

Yandros's recommendations are all solid, though some of them are a little off the beaten path. "Sepulchre" is a more ambitious "Bonehoard" mission, and "Returning a Favor" is a nice whodunnit. "Lorgan's Web" takes place in the Discworld universe and "Cult of the Resurrection" is a little old, but solid fun nevertheless.

A couple things to keep in mind... several good/classic T1 FMs got later ported into T2 and are most likely better played there. Second, because the opera house mission in T1 came in an expansion there really aren't that many FMs like it for T1, though the concept of secret passages is prevalent in many FMs. You will have better luck in the T2 FMs.

A few more T1 recommendations from me:

"Gems of Provenance" - a 4-mission FM extravaganza. The third mission "City Public Water Works" is a veritable masterpiece.
"Shunned" - another off-the-beaten-path FM, this short adventure focuses on horror. Worth a mention, at least.
"Project Hammer" - this mansion heist FM got recently updated and presents a challenge at the start, but is otherwise good fun.
"Nigel's Hidden Treasure" - To be honest I don't remember much about this one, save to say that I enjoyed it.

Max_b5

Augur
If you want FMs with quality close to that of the original missions, do try:

- Prowler of the Dark
- Returning a Favor
- The Saint of Redmound

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Putting EVERYTHING on my list. I'm currently reading from the very first page of this thread to compile my list.
I love this game so much, the first time I played thief, I got through the first mission and noped out at the undead in the mine. A few months later, I tried it again, managing to get through the mine. Bonehoard is still a big blur in my mind because I was fucking lost the entire time underground and only managed to finish the objectives and get out by randomly running around at breakneck speed to avoid undead long enough for my random exploration to find all of the loot. Assassins was that turning point when it clicked. Still fresh with bonehorde on my mind I got into the mansion, and then when I found the secret wall in the fireplace, at that very moment, that part of the assassins soundtrack started playing for the first timeand I felt in charge. I knew how to run around knocking guards out without being detected and could feel out every area with my ears, gauge distances and do anything.

And I've always wondered why Garrett can't just bring a pair of slippers or some cloth to wrap around his shoes so he could walk on marble silently. I swear he wears tap dancing shoes.

Max_b5

Augur
And I've always wondered why Garrett can't just bring a pair of slippers or some cloth to wrap around his shoes so he could walk on marble silently. I swear he wears tap dancing shoes.

He's so good he has to handicap himself to get a challenge.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

People who do this should be shot. Why does he own a dozen boxed copies of the same game. All that's doing is taking copies out of circulation which other people could buy. He doesn't even have discerning taste considering he owns Thiaf merchandise as well. This is just consumerist hoarding.

He also destroys everything with owning anything nuThiaf related.

SlyFoxx

Educated

The footsteps represent how much noise Garrett makes. It would have been impractical to implement not to mention no fun for the player if every possible type of noise a thief could make had to be taken into account. Did those goblets in the loot sack just clang together? How about my scabbard whacking into a table leg? Did I just sneeze, fart or burp? etc...

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

The footsteps represent how much noise Garrett makes. It would have been impractical to implement not to mention no fun for the player if every possible type of noise a thief could make had to be taken into account. Did those goblets in the loot sack just clang together? How about my scabbard whacking into a table leg? Did I just sneeze, fart or burp? etc...
In defense of that, TDM did implement objects you are picking up making noise if you move them in your hand and they bump into something. It could have been really cool to have some sort of blood pressure meter that went up if you moved around a lot (jumping, running, blackjacking, arrowing) and caused Garrett to equivalently start breathing louder as he got out of breath.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
O0QdfO1.png

unknown.png

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
So after an enlightening discussion with TFix's maintainer (read: talking to a brick wall would've been far more productive), I'd seriously recommend you taffers either stop using TFix, or just use the Lite version and don't bother with the full release. Full story short: I've come to the conclusion that the guy cannot make the difference between genuinely fixing an issue and modifying shit for the sake of it, resulting in an altered experience, has no idea about level design and doesn't even understand the core philosophy of the game he's supposedly fixing. His massive ego and downright condescending tone towards anyone who wants to have a more or less vanilla experience without having to remove his "fixes" manually don't make things look better either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom