Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
NewMantle strikes again, it seems. ;)

Reminds me of those old circus acts in the cartoons where divers would try to land in a glass of water from a great height.

Max_b5

Augur
It isn't necessary at all. You can just climb the vine and calculate your jump so you land on top of the fence. ;)

Yandros

Savant
skacky: Thanks for the link, I just ordered an XL print of South Quarter for myself for xmas, before the 10% off and free shipping expired. I do love Angelwatch too, but SQ is even more awesome IMO.

Melan: I'm glad you enjoyed DryCo, I think your review, including the criticisms, is fair. I'm glad someone who played it is familiar enough with the original to recognize its bones in the main areas of the monastery. The excellent readables were mostly written by Tannar, so he deserves the credit there... I'll take credit for the crypts. :D And as you guessed, the additional Hammer and all the Pagan voice sets are indeed imported from T1 and TDS. I suppose I should release the voice schemas I wrote to bring them into T2, since it was a large amount of work and others might make use of them. You might also try to find the two easter eggs if you decide to replay - only one person I know of ever found the second one, and that is Florian on TTLG.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Dev_Anj, Yandros, Riskbreaker: Thanks for the suggestions! I have played some of those, missed some of those...

..but first things first, I played The Drymian Codex! Not only is it excellent as a reconstruction of The Monastery of St. Fera from TDP, but it is done in a way that adds value in the form of updated visuals, a whole lot of extra areas, and a slightly wonky, but functional evil plot. Interestingly, the graphical update has a very odd style: an absolutely high-res re-texturing of the mission while keeping its low-poly appearance (some of those areas were boxy even for 1999). The results are unusual but mostly effective, with a consistency in the updated graphics which is pleasant to look at.

The Drymian Codex is one of the few times a remake actually works, and part of the reason is the team behind it recognised the potential in the original premise and sought to expand on it further rather than merely adding superfluous areas and doing a pretty paint job of everything. That mission is why I'm curious with how the upcoming noir mission from the trio will be.

Dev_Anj

Learned
A better question is: whose mission is it anyway? It looks like it has a lot of rooftop climbing ala skacky's missions but also has a strong dark City vibe. It doesn't seem like the author responded to it, and none at TTLG seemed to know about it.

Max_b5

Augur
That video is a map I left abandoned years ago but put my hands on it again very recently. I want to make a 'Life of the Party' 2.0 TDP style :)

Renault

Novice
Melan - if you're looking for other notable T2 missions from the last couple of years, I would also try:

Keeper of Infinity
Death's Turbid Veil
Mortuos Liber
The Wall/St. Edgar's Cathedral

Just kidding on that last one...

Dev_Anj

Learned
So IronEagle's egomaniac tendencies aside, just how bad is The Wall? I started it up normally, and already ran into an overtly obscure and rather nonsensical seeming puzzle, not to mention the low framerate. I looked around in Dromed and by the good Lord, it's so sloppily put together. This guy really doesn't understand aesthetics, he plops lots of objects around, puts high resolution objects right next to low resolution textures, uses odd and dumb colour schemes, like a purple blue cathedral which has metal balconies, worn wood and stone pillars sticking out of it and more. This is worse than the HD mod for Thief that some people were complaining about here and on TTLG.

Random_Taffer

Educated
So IronEagle's egomaniac tendencies aside, just how bad is The Wall? I started it up normally, and already ran into an overtly obscure and rather nonsensical seeming puzzle, not to mention the low framerate. I looked around in Dromed and by the good Lord, it's so sloppily put together. This guy really doesn't understand aesthetics, he plops lots of objects around, puts high resolution objects right next to low resolution textures, uses odd and dumb colour schemes, like a purple blue cathedral which has metal balconies, worn wood and stone pillars sticking out of it and more. This is worse than the HD mod for Thief that some people were complaining about here and on TTLG.

hai motherfuck i used skyrim textures ok??? Do you understand in your dull brainhead?

and hi yandros, the worst empty box maker

Max_b5

Augur
It's both inspired by LOTP and a size comparison, just showing how NewDark allows making bigger and more detailed maps. :D It's only 2 or 3 interior areas and it'll be complete, hopefully.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom