Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

SlyFoxx

Educated
I found MC to be pretty brilliant. Detail..The hi -res signs and posters...being able to read crypt plaques and wall carving. The ambient music ran the gamut from totally new to the classic M01tones (Assassin's... street ambient) Brush work was good but texturing outstanding. Many decent dromed designers have just ludicrously bad taste when it comes to texturing what is other wise decent brush work. I liked the laundry list of tasks and little things to do. I always had a plan and was following my nose rarely clueless. The two times I got stuck were a result of what I'd call questionable design choices. Meaning I knew exactly what I needed to do but just couldn't find the thing I needed. But for a first mission and one this large and ambitious that I get to play free...hell, I'll let that slide every time. I give it easily 8/10.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's easily an 8/10 for me as well, and could go up to 9/10 if she fixes the sound issues and bugs.

I just spent a few minutes going over the mission in my head, and I'm utterly stumped as to where I may have missed out on roughly 1000 gold. I solved the "treasure in the waters" puzzle for what that was worth. There's the question of the bookseller, but I don't know if that's just presented "as-is" or if there's more to it. Another possibility is the doctor's office and his surgery room downstairs.

I feel like I've missed an entire section somewhere. It took me too long to discover that I could reach the belltower in the Hammerite chapel, but there's not really much up there.

The Lady Rowena tribute (which actually referenced purah and his missions as well) was very nicely done.

So...time to finecomb the sewers, I guess.

Random_Taffer

Educated
Posted this with a promotional account on TTLG (Got permission first), but ya'll know who it is anyway here, so I'll just post it.
It's really coming along now. All the briefing videos are done, just trying to finish up the scripting and readables.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I found MC to be pretty brilliant. [...] The ambient music ran the gamut from totally new to the classic M01tones (Assassin's... street ambient)
Thief's original ambient tracks are top-notch, I really wish more FM designers would use them in their missions especially since they're already there, freely available for anyone to use.

Mechs Delight

Educated
Well, let it be said that I'm not unwilling to give something a second chance if the situation is right. I've been playing through "Morbid Curiosity" once again, and I've enjoyed it a little more the second time. The scenery is very colorful and enticing and I really enjoy the evening sky and mist - it makes me feel like I'm really out in a cool, misty evening (my kind of weather). Like Cat, I groaned at the "postman" objective at first, but actually it grew on me after a while. However, it was a pain and a half to get to the smuggler's hideout to advance the mission past the main town exterior
I'm currently at the three-level elevator that comes shortly after swimming through the underwater tunnels
. Also, my complaints about the starting area and drunkards still hold to some degree and it was disappointing to not find more rooftop action.

So far, I'd rate this mission a 6/10. This author definitely has potential, and let's hope it surfaces if she keeps doing missions.

Also, I have a question about readables: How does one write a diary without Audiolog Syndrome? Is it possible?

Mechs Delight

Educated
Update: The gallery is absolutely incredible; it's great to have all those factions together.

It sure was a shock to see that surprise Apebeast near the end of the tour!

The gallery itself deserves a 9/10!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
However, it was a pain and a half to get to the smuggler's hideout to advance the mission past the main town exterior
I'm currently at the three-level elevator that comes shortly after swimming through the underwater tunnels

The only three-level elevator I remember is in the smuggler's hideout...and I never swam to get to the smuggler's hideout. And precisely what underwater tunnels are you talking about?

Also, I have a question about readables: How does one write a diary without Audiolog Syndrome? Is it possible?

No, diaries are exempt from it, which is why so many jump at that to justify lazy writing (there's one poster over in the TTLG forum thread about Morbid Curiosity doing exactly that). The problem is that only certain kinds of people keep diaries, and only a handful of types of people keep diaries into their adult years. Last, but not least, you don't keep a diary at work (which is often the case in Morbid Curiosity).

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Unless it's a work-related journal of some kind there's no reason why you'd keep a diary at work, especially if it's filled with purple prose. That said avoiding audiolog syndrome is sometimes very difficult and not every FM author is a writer.

Mechs Delight

Educated
Cat,

I was referring to the long, narrow underwater tunnels near the smuggler's hideout. Or maybe my fragile memory is failing me and the tunnels were somewhere else nearby.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Thanks for that, now I know I'm missing something,

because the only underwater tunnels I've found are the ones right at the start, and the ones leading to North Station, right before gaining access to the Gallery.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks to Unkillable Cat's constant nagging about this, I will try to go low on the audiolog syndrome on my next mission. :M

Then again, since it's going to be another humorous mission, like Shoes and Dresses was, writing silly diary entries takes precedence over making sense :M

Divinity: Original Sin
Thanks to Unkillable Cat's constant nagging about this, I will try to go low on the audiolog syndrome on my next mission. :M

Then again, since it's going to be another humorous mission, like Shoes and Dresses was, writing silly diary entries takes precedence over making sense :M

Can't FM makers use Karras' audio device? well... voice acting...

Max_b5

Augur
Has any of you gotten all of the loot in Morbid Curiosity? I always seem to end up 600+ loot short and I searched everywhere.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Same here, I'm 680 short on loot.

Can it be that this mission has "unlootable loot" like a few famous FMs have done in the past?

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
I'm at the Gallery in Morbid Curiosity and so far this mission has been a blast. I hope to see more from this author in the future!

:love:

Max_b5

Augur
Same here, I'm 680 short on loot.

Can it be that this mission has "unlootable loot" like a few famous FMs have done in the past?

I'm 675 short so it might be the case that there are some objects that are considered loot but cannot be picked. I would check the level in Dromed but I already had a bad time searching in-game.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
I'm 620 short right now but I definitely haven't been everywhere, we'll see if I can manage the Expert loot total.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
After reading the thread on TTLG, it seems that there is unclaimable loot in the mission, even after the (now available) 1.1 update.

At least the author is aware of it now and seeks to fix the bug.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I like using fancy textures

GJC7bAF.jpg

O8SL5d1.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Morbid Curiosity 1.2 has been released, which fixes the loot count and adds a loot list + secret areas.

If you were waiting to download this FM until later, now seems to be the time.

cowking

Scholar
Morbid Curiosity 1.2 has been released, which fixes the loot count and adds a loot list + secret areas.

Claustrophobic flat railroad where you have to blackjack every guard so you can bunny hop through the streets trying to find a mailbox. Goodness gracious.

Never made it to the gallery, and I don't care if it's the best level design ever seen in a fan mission. If I have to wade through an hour of shit to get to the good bits, all my immersion and enjoyment is already gone by then.

Props to author for creating an awesome garrett's hideout. I just wanted to stay there and ignore the fm otherwise.

I'm so desperate for even a decent mission but they all end up repeating the same stupid fucking shit over and over again. I've played all non-contest missions by skacky (which I liked), although even they have some jarring repeating elements. Something like heist society but better.

Mechs Delight

Educated
<< I'm so desperate for even a decent mission but they all end up repeating the same stupid fucking shit over and over again. >>

I'm speechless. That's one of the most asinine posts I've seen ever.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Claustrophobic flat railroad where you have to blackjack every guard so you can bunny hop through the streets trying to find a mailbox. Goodness gracious.

Never made it to the gallery, and I don't care if it's the best level design ever seen in a fan mission. If I have to wade through an hour of shit to get to the good bits, all my immersion and enjoyment is already gone by then.

Props to author for creating an awesome garrett's hideout. I just wanted to stay there and ignore the fm otherwise.

I'm so desperate for even a decent mission but they all end up repeating the same stupid fucking shit over and over again. I've played all non-contest missions by skacky (which I liked), although even they have some jarring repeating elements. Something like heist society but better.

Ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom