Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, from my counting I see that 8 of 2016's Thief 2 FMs were made by new authors. That's pretty impressive for a game of this age.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I just played through Morbid Curiosity. Holy shit this was good, especially for a debut mission. Lots of little details and hidden areas to discover, optional objectives, solid city section (although it was a little too labyrinthine for my tastes), and especially:

HOLY SHIT THAT GALLERY SECTION

It's so fun and creative! It does have a little "Thief theme park" syndrome to it, but that's because that's exactly it... an exhibition on the different factions and areas of Thief. Undead, Hammerites, Pagans, Keepers, Lost City... it's just such a fun area to go through. It's even more fun if you're a Dromeder because the gallery houses some very rarely - if at all - used creatures from Dromed Deluxe. Hah.

Can't wait for Pukey Brunster to release more missions. This was excellent!

SlyFoxx

Educated
Note to the "Professional" designers of T4....you just got smoked by an amateur designer using a 20 year old game engine. I mean smoked like Cheech & Chong in '78.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So I finally played through the Dracula campaign.

The Bathory campaign is one of my favourite FMs ever, but Dracula is obviously Sensut's earlier work: it has a little less of the stuff I loved about Bathory, but more of the stuff that was annoying. Locking the way forward with switches or keys, sometimes for no real reason at all (the final mission has you open an underwater access cave by going into ANOTHER underwater access cave that is hidden behind rocks, and hit a switch there; then you go back out and into the main passage. The only reason for this second cave to exist is to open the gate leading to the first one - it doesn't add anything to the gameplay and you could entirely remove it, it just serves to make the player search for something and obscure the way forward. Also in the final mission, right before the very end, there is a broken lever... and guess where the lever rod that you need to fix it is? RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE LEVER! Why make it broken then in the first place? Pointless.)

The story is good, though, and it's an interesting interpretation of Bram Stoker's source material. It actually incorporates a lot of the original story, and deals with it rather faithfully.
The level design - apart from the aforementioned annoyances - is solid. Mostly castles and some cave crawling and outdoors action, I had the most fun with the castles in the second and third mission. First mission might be my favourite though. Sensut does have a hand for creating visually impressive castles and outdoors areas.

Overall I rate it Good 7/10 which makes it above average but well below the Bathory campaign, which is much more refined and has less of the "let's obscure the way forward so the player has to search the entire area for it lol" thing that plagues Dracula. I'd say it's worth playing through once, but keep a walkthrough ready for when you're stuck.

Riskbreaker

I prefer it to Bathory simply because because I prefer its gothic horror environs and atmosphere to Bathory's more grounded historical theme. Bathory is indeed far more impressive piece of work, plus Dracula's level design sometimes feels downright on rails even without any sort of direct comparison with Bathory's missions. And yeah, some sections are either annoying or tedious like the aforementioned underwater cave or needlessly long catacombs (that you have to traverse while carrying a body). Visuals and mood of Dracula campaign just sort of click with me, is all.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah, the atmosphere is great, and I love the way Sensut managed to marry his own story with Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's surprisingly faithful to the source material (with some small necessary deviations of course). Only the fact that this FM's protagonist, Gellert, who lives in London, is somehow friends with Garret who lives... not even on real Earth is kinda hilarious, especially since it's entirely irrelevant and only mentioned twice as far as I remember.

Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, the atmosphere is great, and I love the way Sensut managed to marry his own story with Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's surprisingly faithful to the source material (with some small necessary deviations of course). Only the fact that this FM's protagonist, Gellert, who lives in London, is somehow friends with Garret who lives... not even on real Earth is kinda hilarious, especially since it's entirely irrelevant and only mentioned twice as far as I remember.

Maybe is a London on that not real earth... :troll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah and he travels to not-Earth Transilvania, where Vlad Dracula was the voivod of not-Earth Romania, which is being invaded by not-Earth Turks :M

Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah and he travels to not-Earth Transilvania, where Vlad Dracula was the voivod of not-Earth Romania, which is being invaded by not-Earth Turks :M

You got it.

t2ma0055.jpg

When that not-moon gets full, you may get a vampire vs werewolves sighting...

Last edited:

Max_b5

Augur
Gotta love the evolution in most of FM authors' style when playing throughout their FMs. This is what makes me keep playing them because you never know what to expect on each release. :love:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Gotta love the evolution in most of FM authors' style when playing throughout their FMs. This is what makes me keep playing them because you never know what to expect on each release. :love:

Including yourself, pal. Nobles and Craftsmen was a huge surprise after your previous missions cause you hadn't attempted that kind of rooftop mission before, and in the previous missions you tried a new style with each mission, from (non-rooftop) city to sewer, and for the next one it's on to mines. That's some great variety.

I also love the development of Christine as a mission author. Her later FMs are the perfect "relaxing FMs" to me, ones that have a really cozy atmosphere and her unique touch of style. Her first missions suffered from disproportionate dimensions (like many beginner authors, she just made spaces too large) and had way too much marble abuse, but you notice her design improving with each mission when you play through them. It's the most obvious with Christine because she just made such a sheer amount of FMs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So I'm playing "Up in the Bonehoard" now, and I'm having a love-hate relationship with it.

On the one hand, the design is really surreal and genius, and I love the Alarus extension and the BOW UPGRADE that lets you shoot ropes into stone.

On the other, it's filled with drops that are high enough to damage you (sometimes necessitating horribly awkward and almost impossible rope-action) and lots of climbing and platforming that doesn't work all too well in this engine. The geometry is sometimes wonky and you get caught in it, etc. This mission would've benefitted from some more testing.

But holy shit it's just so creative that I can forgive most of these faults. LITERALLY EVERYTHING is turned upside down.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I may give it another go, I gave up the last time because somehow I missed the BOW UPGRADE that stinkykitty put in.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
This has to be the best custom item ever made for an FM:

.eJwFwdENhSAMAMBdGIBSBCxuQ4CgiVgC9cu83d_dp955q0OdImMdAOVamWfRS3imVnVjbndN41o6c4ckkvLZ6yML0BE5DDvuHtEEHzawIRLFSNEZi8FbR1DePtAZPZ6mfn8DRCIt.lrmXTZtrmVRRyLwK_n1r50byDQ8

Mission is "Up Shit Creek", part 3 of the TTGM campaign, a campaign Unkillable Cat recommended to me back when I first started playing FMs. The missions show they age by now, but they're still solid. My impression up to now is that the author is getting better with each FM; my favourite in the series was Shore Leave, the second mission; it's got a lot of rooftop action back in an era when rooftop action wasn't a big thing in FMs yet (it was released in 2001), and it's overall a very solid city and warehouse mission. The looks are a little bland, but then, none of the early FMs were really big on decoration. The 2nd mission of the campaign commits one cardinal sin though: you have to do an item hunt... and one item you need is a bunch of flowers. And guess where you find them? In a generic vanilla Thief 2 flowerpot. Yeah, those that are used as decoration in the OMs and many FMs, so you'd never even think of approaching and trying to frob them.

This third mission of the campaign is the most creative up to now. Lots of interesting shit in it.
And, of course, the best custom item ever made for Thief :salute:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
New Death's Cold Embrace video. Looking very very pretty there!

I'm more fascinated by the fact that this FM campaign is entering its thirteenth year of production.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom