Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

nicked

Educated
Put in an elaborate multi-mission treasure hunt that results in eventually finding a secret room with an empty velvet cushion and a small sign that says Dewdrop on it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trolling downwinder is all well and good, but think of poor Gloria. Do you really want her to suffer such for his sake?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lord Beilman’s Estate by Vlad Midnight

This is one of the two mansion missions Vlad Midnight made for Thief 1 in 2009. The two were released in rapid succession, and both are fun – Invitation to Castle Morgoth is slightly better, while Lord Beilman’s is rather easier. What they have in common, though, is some seriously dark graphics. The ambient light is cranked way low, and this is barely illuminated by various light sources. The results are good-looking, and particularly interesting in this mission’s combination of Thief 2’s Victorian mansion aesthetics and Thief 1’s darker lighting scheme in a former three-level hotel converted into a rich lord’s private residence. It is always pleasant, with a consistent attention to detail – nothing excessive, just a nice, cohesive feeling.

Story-wise, Lord Beilman’s is about another priceless stock trinket (the beloved golden skull) and the clues you have to figure out before you can nab it. This is a nice, medium-difficulty task (with a few curious red herrings), and the rest of the mission is mostly about avoiding the interlocking guard patrols (they are complex and well realised), hunting loot and… some pretty silly stuff to access an even sillier bonus area. There are also some places where you can listen to InfoWars (no, really), which is fun, but rather out of place smack dab in the middle of an otherwise thematically consistent FM. The negatives also include some minor issues with patrols – sometimes, guards stop in their tracks and you have to club them, which is not good news at all if you planned for ghosting. These are only small complaints, though, and the rest makes up for them.

So that’s it: no masterpiece, but nice to look at, and nice to play.

tumblr_olqlx9IeIT1rxmn3vo6_540.png
tumblr_olqlx9IeIT1rxmn3vo1_540.png
tumblr_olqlx9IeIT1rxmn3vo2_540.png
tumblr_olqlx9IeIT1rxmn3vo3_540.png
tumblr_olqlx9IeIT1rxmn3vo4_540.png
tumblr_olqlx9IeIT1rxmn3vo5_540.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I think I remember playing that one. Is that the FM that straight-up copied the entry area of Rumford's manor? It was pretty cool overall. Had a secret area with a basketball if I remember correctly.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It did, but in such a fundamentally odd way that makes it seem original. You enter that familiar room complex, swipe the loot off of the table, and then...
one exit is only openable from the other direction, and the other leads into a completely "WTF is that?" room. It is a small but great moment of surrealism and subverting your sense of deja vu, and is my favourite moment from the whole mission.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My most favourite moment from Bellman's Estate is the slow-moving critter in the basement. I had to take a break from the game to compose myself after laughing so hard.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
played some more!!!

Hammerhead: Return To The Docks, by Gonchong (thief Gold FM): Follow up to the docks, it starts with Garrett being pursued by a angry legion of hammerites, and eventually becomes a city/street level. It has better architecture than the docks, and it feels more like a port city than the previous effort. it's a prequel to willow island, a thief 2 mission. It's very straight forward and a simple mission. 6/10

Augustine's revenge, by BBB (ThiefG FM): Played after Jarlfrank's and Melan's recommendations. Really nice city mission plus a castle/mansion in the end. there's a street level section, a rooftops section, even an almost hidden zombie area. I liked the story in this one, I really have a blast in FMs when you have to find incriminating evidence against noble pricks. 8/10

The Heart Of Gems: Night Of The Red Moon, by Terra (T2FM): A follow up to Roofs of gold, but it actually has no ties with this previous mission, so it's a stand alone. What it has in common with Roofs is the metroidvania aspect of that mission, which here is elevated to the maximum, and the fail jump scares. I noticed the lack of proportion in architecture in this one, which I didn't notice in Roofs, mostly because roofs is a very small mission, set in buildings surrounding a courtyard, and Red Moon is huge. This guy cannot into windows. They're big thick blocks of glass, and bigger than doors. It's present in roofs, but here in Red Moon they're too apparent. At least, after you venture more into the New Dayport city, things get better visually and don't feel that odd as when you first enter. You start in a cabin in the woods that has the tallest ladder to get to an attic in all thief games/missions. Disregarding the size of windows and door, I actually like the layout and texturing of the city, which has a different vibe from the "The City". It actually looks a lot like something from Unreal 1, and has a lot of square angles, but really well done. It's a flat city, but very atmospheric. About the metroidvania aspect, damn, this is one of the most boring missions I've played. I remember Unkillable cat's complaint about the second mission of Keeper of the prophecies, this one is even worse. First, there's a totally useless first area where you walk through valleys to gather some crystals to open a force field to open your way into the city. Problem is, you're gonna walk a lot, because there's a lot of ground to cover, and said crystals are always in the furthest side of each valley. Also, it's empty as hell, with a few burricks and easily avoidable creatures. And no loot at all. Then there's the city, which is also enormous. and you have to find your lockpicks and blackjack, and do in the right order, like crossing the whole town to get the last lockpick, than backtrack to get the blackjack, then finally explore at your own pace, and find some candles that you have to use in the middle of town, and get the rest of the candles everywhere, one of them even outside the city. The story is totally forgettable. What keptt me going was that the city is actually beautiful, and since I had got that far, well, I finished it. In the end, I rated it 6/10, mostly due to architecture.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
skacky in a thread in TTLG Editor's Guild said:
I don't consider myself a best author by any stretch

skacky
u wot m8

Also, in not FM-related things, I recently discovered this cute Let's Player girl who tackled Thief Gold blind.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL14p1fPgxfv8e18IxznOc30Vp4fgH0vFl

She never played Thief before attempting this LP, and from Cragscleft onward she plays on Expert because people in the comments told her Expert is better.
The entire things is worth watching, I'm at Thieves Guild now and have enjoyed every episode because she shows a willingness to experiment and goes at the missions from the perspective of a noob who doesn't know Thief's systems and engine exploits by heart.

Watching the first episodes where she tackles Bafford's and Cragscleft really brought that feeling back that I had when first playing Thief, that constant unease because I didn't know what the guards would react to and what not.
I ran recommend watching at least a few episodes to any experienced taffer. Very refreshing to see someone play Thief blind with no prior experience.
It really shows how well the game's systems work, how easy it is to understand after playing it for a while, and how it encourages experimentation.

As for FMs, The New Sheriff is a really interesting mission. I really wonder who this El Tafferino guy is, he seems to be quite talented :M

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Well obviously El Tafferino is not me then, because if I made the mission, you'd be able to pick up the Lady's shoes and sniff them for health regen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom