Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief : I approve of this good shit.

Glyphwright said:
Excommunicator said:
Indeed, I wasn't directing it at you. It was a comparison of those who hold onto difficulty level as some kind of affirmation of their own superiority versus those who insist the entire game should be easier because they don't want to be seen as someone who only plays on lower difficulties.

The same self insecurity complex exists in both.

Don't die stupid, kids. Repent.
Butthurt detected.

So nice of you to detect your own butthurt. Shows maturity.

MetalCraze

Arcane
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Sorry dude, but I can't agree with you here. I only played the first Splinter Cell, but it was a huuuuuge dissapointment (back then I was still naive enough to believe that "next-gen" games could be worth a damn). The ULTRA linear level design and the limited possiblities of your character destroyed the game completly.
The game was railroaded like Max Payne, while pretending to be a Thief-inspired stealth game.

Try Chaos Theory. No it isn't Thief by far, however it has less linearity than the first SC, a possibility of 100% stealth walkthroughs and a good coop. And is more punishing for shooter guys.

Divinity: Original Sin
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Darth Slaughter said:
I think the first 3 splinter cells are the closest clone of thief we ever had. Splinter cell was more forgiving, but gameplay mechanics was about the same.

Sorry dude, but I can't agree with you here. I only played the first Splinter Cell, but it was a huuuuuge dissapointment (back then I was still naive enough to believe that "next-gen" games could be worth a damn). The ULTRA linear level design and the limited possiblities of your character destroyed the game completly.
The game was railroaded like Max Payne, while pretending to be a Thief-inspired stealth game.

hey, I didn't say how close it was. but it was the only one. Anyway, deus ex 1 had the same kind of stealth han thief, quite similar in fact. But only after you improve it to garrett levels.

But the diference you point is in level design, but stealth mechanics work a lot like thief games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You kidding? Desu Ex had blind and deaf guards compared (even without the major help of shadow invisibility).

Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
You kidding? Desu Ex had blind and deaf guards compared (even without the major help of shadow invisibility).

well, I really can't remember because I didn't play Deus Ex in stealth at all, but I use it in some parts. You could blackjack, bring corpses, lean with q and e, hide in shadows (although it had no shadow gem). But I really can't remeber if the guards were deaf or if JC had super silent shoes.

Stealth in Deus Ex is more similar to Alpha Protocol or Bloodlines than it is to Thief. Guards in Thief behave in a way more believable manner.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
[url=http://twitter.com/Jonatchoo:1lqrja04]Some eidosfaggot's Twitter[/url] said:
It's so cool to see the #Thief4 dev team becoming the bigger one and taking the spotlight here at the studio. We're rollin' up in here!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wasn't there some info recently saying that Thi4f will play mostly in 3rd person, first person will be just for some special occasions like takedowns (lol) and it's generally going to be more of an Assassins Creed at night?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Speaking of Thi4f, by pure coincidence I got high last night with a guy who works at Eidos Montreal on the Thi4f dev team. He handles fire and other realistic effects, and he had two things to say about it:

1) They're dropping the Thi4f bullshit and going for Thief 4.

2) It was the best-looking game he's ever seen. (consoletard)

Yes, and also tell us how high you got. Was it high enough for that guy to be imaginary? I wouldn't hold it against you.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Also, tell is whether you've supplied the guy with weed for his whole dev team. It can only have positive effects on the development (especially in levels where the pagans are involved).

Cassidy

Arcane
Thief 4 will be a rip-off of GTA with sticky cover system and regenerating health. Mark my words.

I don't give a shit about its status because I know I'm not going to play it because it is certainly going to suck.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JarlFrank said:
Also, tell is whether you've supplied the guy with weed for his whole dev team. It can only have positive effects on the development (especially in levels where the pagans are involved).

Speaking of which, I struggle to imagine what new stuff they can introduce in Thief 4. The novelty of the 3 factions was amazing in the first and 2nd game, but by Deadly Shadows the mission intros started to sound stale since you knew all about the fanaticism of each faction and more snippets from the books of the builder or pagan scribblings on bark were getting to be too much of the same old.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm more worried about them not being able to make the factions as awesome as in the previous games but introducing some retarded good vs evil plot or somesuch nonsense. Shit writers could really ruin the whole story and atmosphere of the game, and if they got shit gameplay and level design (which is likely) there'll be no redeeming features.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can already see the factions getting transferred to 'modern times'.

Hammers - evil christunz purging innocent people for engaging in homosexual practices.

Pagans - poor oppressed dirty hippies, the good guys.

Keepers - ILLUMINATI!!!!

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Spellcaster said:
Interesting... but why the hell didn't you asked him the important stuff, like, if they're going to implement first or third person?

Tell us everything he said about the game :M

He was under an NDA so he didn't really say anything. The conversation went something like this:

"- So you work for Eidos, right? You on any big projects, like Deus Ex 3?

- Yeah, I'm working on Thief 4.

- ololol moar liek ThiAf, amirite?

- Haha, yeah they're dropping that. Gonna go for straight Thief 4. It was those PR guys who thought it was going to catch on, but they're changing it.

- This official yet or anything cause I haven't heard any news of this game since the announcement?

- No, it's not, so keep it hush hush."

Other than that, he said it's the best thing he's seen, that it's the last Thief game until the next next-gen and that Eidos have passion for making games.

Then he went on describing how incompetent the management at Silicon Knights was when he worked there.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Currently playing Thief 2 for the first time, and really enjoying Shoalsgate station, especially finding ways around the guards with secret passages.

Problem is that now I've looked through almost the entire place and still can't find the code to the vault.

RatFink

Educated
notes should be pointing you in its direction

it's here:
in the records room

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now on the fourth mission (escaping from the pub). I really should finish my Icewind Dale 2 LP, but I'd much rather play this right now. So far I find it better than TG.

spekkio

Arcane
I just want to add that if I have to choose my "best gaem evar" it would be TDP. Good thread, SB.

:bro:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
xemous said:
i just want to let everyone know that ttlg and the anti human filth that post there do not represent the thief fan base, codex goers can safely play the game and carve their own, more civilised following.

If they don't represent the Thief fan base, then who does?

I agree with you up to a point, the only part of the TLLG forum worth a damn are the Thief Fan Missions subforum and the System Shock 2 forum, and even there the mindset heavily leans towards circlejerking.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am just here to show everyone how good my taste is!

The Dark Project is unbelievably fantastic, astounding, marvelous. I am somewhat of a tasteless snoob, though, and admit to liking Thief 2 even better as it was my first foray into the franchise.

I also always used to recommend Thief 3 (just to play Robbing the Cradle), but somehow, as amazing as that level might be, or might have been, I cannot really like it as much as I once did.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why does every time they say something is innovative in a game - it turns out horribly raped and primitive?

But really I can't wait to see how bad Thiaf is, a complex, punishing, exploration-oriented stealth game and consoles can't exist together and never will.

It will be a fuel for my rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom