Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Thief's brilliant subtlety is still unmatched 18 years later"

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It just doesn't get any better than Looking Glass, no way around it :salute:

sullynathan

Arcane
The floor thing is something that Thief does that SC doesn't, SC on the other hand has a sound meter and you can tell the AIs location by how noisy they move. Splinter Cell was more than just movement too. Guards would go on alert mode for doing things like leaving a window open or turning off the lights even if they weren't in that room. The AI in Chaos Theory is very aware of its surroundings and how things are and was more suspicious of manipulation of the environment that Thief's. I'd say this was a greater advancement in AI that in thief in which guards couldn't tell if you turned off the light or not or moved certain things in a room.

Well, thief cleverly "hide" these flaws in dialogue: Guard would constantly chat about the wind putting out the torches. And thief 2 the was a guard that would re-ignite a torch if put out. Though it was scripted, Thief balanced AI behavior/scripted sequence to the perfect dosage...
Yeah, Chaos Theory did the exact same thing. That's my point, even if Splinter cell wasn't a complete successor to Thief, it did surpass it in many ways and I'm surprised that people looking for something like Thief in the past decade don't look to the way of Splinter cell instead of other games.

Beastro

Arcane
It's also amazing how much difference a pale face can make if you are otherwise in camo or black clothes.
I remember once when I was in the military and I saw a whole company moving in the woods from about a 100 yards away. If they has used camo on their faces they would have been hard to spot, but their pale faces stuck out like sore thumbs.

I have a tabby with a very white muzzle. It's hilarious seeing her try and hide somewhere only to be betrayed by it.

If I'm trying to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and it's too dark to make out dark blobs on the ground, it's there to help give her away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom