Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

belated

Augur
https://thimbleweedpark.com

https://af.gog.com/game/thimbleweed_park?as=1649904300

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...leweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv

It’s like opening a dusty old desk drawer and finding an undiscovered LucasArts adventure game you’ve never played before.

11415ab46f657e7ab6561fa7a605e21f_large.jpg

Ever wonder what it would be like to play a classic adventure game the day it came out and experience all the surprise and charm for the very first time? Wonder no more!

Twenty-five years ago, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick created the game that introduced the world to 2D point & click adventure games. Maniac Mansion took the computer game world by storm with its compelling story, complex puzzles, cutting edge humor, engaging game play, and provided an entire generation with a new idea of what an adventure game could be. Blah blah blah...

And now they are back together with an all new 2D point & click adventure game! Ron is skinny again and Gary had that rash looked at — and they're here (finally!) to create the true spiritual successor to Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island.

Thimbleweed Park is a new game that cuts to the core of what made classic point & click adventure games so special, and done by the actual people who spawned the genre.

It's deep, it's challenging, it's funny, it's everything you loved about adventure games.

Holy crap is this going to be fun! And you can be part of it - right here and right now for $20 bucks which is like $1.52 in 1987 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cazzeris

:incline:

Fuck you, Tim Schafer.

PS: You should add "Ron Gilbert" to the thread's name to get more attention.

Divinity: Original Sin
With verbs and all? Graphically like MM and ZM?

I already loved that music in the intro. It should come with floppies...

Starwars

Arcane
I'm all for retro stuff and big pixels but the graphics look like shit. Not the sweet retro, low-tech, old-school style that I love, they just look shit. Art-wise it's just pretty terrible.

I'll still pledge though, hope it'll be good.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Because San Francisco ?

edit : *sigh* ... backed ... but remember ...
20-bucks.jpg

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sigh, I had an epic reply written to this, then browswer crashed, and that was that. The tl;dr is that indie adventure games tend to have low production costs b/c the team all takes back-end compensation. I think the asking price here seems high, but not totally ludicrous given the experience level of the team.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The weird thing is that normally in-progress posts are autosaved. Maybe it was the Internet Gods saving me from too much disclosure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
$375k doesn't sound like that much. Minus taxes, fees, outsourcing, etc. it's basically just paying them a salary for a year.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The weird thing is that normally in-progress posts are autosaved. Maybe it was the Internet Gods saving me from too much disclosure.
Dave Gilbert installed an auto lockout mechanism which engages whenever you are too close to revealing the truth.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
tuluse Nah, all the disclosures related to Primordia revenue/costs, nothing really WEG related.

Metro Color me stupid, but I'm always confused when people list "taxes" as a Kickstarter expense. I've never run a business, but my lay understanding is that business expenses are deducted from business revenue and you only pay taxes on what's left over, i.e., profit, except insofar as you're paying payroll taxes or corporate registration taxes or something. Yet KSers always seem to list taxes as whatever the corporate tax rate (or perhaps marginal tax rate) is, times the KSer funding. Is that because the people running it are taking some significant percentage of the KSer funding as income? Or just that they can't generate the expenses in the same calendar year and you can't anticipatorily reduce income?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Probably a little of everything mentioned. Although, the more 'legitimate' reasoning is because they can't generate the expenses in the same year as you said. Especially when these things always take longer than usual/anticipated to see the light of day. They could also be using 'tax' as an umbrella category to cover legal fees, corporate registration, etc. I'm sure some of it is overstating expenses to cover their butts, too.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It may also just be echo chamber -- I suspect small-timers (like me) would just look at a successful Kickstarter, see the pie chart, and copy it. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom