Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
yesssss. can't. wait. for. credit. card. statement.
Do you want it for GOG or Steam? Your despair has moved my bitter heart to pity.
Steam please
I'm not running an alms house here. Maybe when it goes on sale I'll pick up some copies but I've exhausted my game budget charity.
Hahahaha was kidding man, I'm too busy to play games currently :( Game does look really good though.
I figured. If I'd thought you were seriously, I would've anxiously exited the thread without responding. :D

Divinity: Original Sin
Stupid question...

Anyone knows how to skip lines? Neither Esc, Space, Mouse, Backspace or Enter seem to work for me.
Period :)
(I didn't play it yet, but I have a hunch)
Edited because I'm lame in my english punctuation knowledge

Yes it is, like all lucas arts games, and it was Ron who chose "period" back in MI 1 because, well, period end sentences...

Lord Rocket

Erudite
(especially considering the total victory of LucasArts design over the Sierra style... has there even been a Sierra type game released recently? As in, this decade?)

if you mean hybrids, then Heroine's Quest, Quest for Infamy, Order of the Thorne

if you mean Gabriel Knightesque games, then Gray Matter and Kathy Rain come to mind

also nu-King's Quest lmao
no one will ever give a fuck to replicate the authentic King's Quest formula because it was always bad

Yeah I forgot about Heroine's Quest, I didn't play it because the sound wouldn't work on my old PC for whatever reason. Nu-KQ is almost certainly a Lucasarts/visual novel hybrid, ie. a Telltale rip-off, although I'll never find out because fuck playing that shit. The others I hadn't heard of, on the basis that I almost never play games made after the year 2000 anymore. How many completely arbitrary deaths are there?

I am always amused that a Sierra vs. Lucasarts "war" still happens, and that many people say Lucasarts won. I will say Lucasarts fans have been more loyal to playing games, while I notice a lot of old Sierra fans play less games now, and just collect boxes of old games they loved. It's a weird phenomenon.

I wonder if it's because one group is being catered to and the other isn't? Nah too simple

Anyway I finished Thimbleweed Park. The ending wasn't as shit as MI2's but it still sucked. I also agree with most of the other criticisms levelled at the game in this very thread, including but not limited to:
Puzzles were a bit too easy in many cases, with a few exceptions. I got stuck a couple times for stupid reasons (eg. the bottle near the start) but most everything else I powered through.
Not as much unique dialogue on whacky interactions as I may have liked.
Dumb progressivism. Ransome is an obvious stand-in for an internet meaniepants, the sort of guy who'd go hard after blue-haired indie devs, but then there's an unlikable character who goes on about 'murder simulators' -- I wonder how Gilbert rationalises the fact he's aligned himself with the new Jack Thompsons [sic] of the world when he obviously dislikes the old models? Fortunately these moments were pretty rare.
Ray/Reyes too similar in dialogue/interactions etc.
Too much Delores. You could play like 75% of the game as her if you wanted, I would have liked a greater focus on the other characters.
Some NPCs just kinda disappeared.
I didn't care about the big heads though.

Other than that it did have that old Lucasarts charm to it, so overall I liked it and am not sorry I paid money to play it. That's as much endorsement as I care to give anything anymore.
:5/5::3/5: (I rate things out of ten because I am speshul)

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
The referential humour is seriously a drag. I'm only ~40 minutes in and I have to take a break every time they make a jab at Sierra-style adventure games. All the self-righteous "no dead ends" rambling is actually making me want to replay SQ3 instead.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
The referential humour is seriously a drag. I'm only ~40 minutes in and I have to take a break every time they make a jab at Sierra-style adventure games. All the self-righteous "no dead ends" rambling is actually making me want to replay SQ3 instead.

I have much rage inside about KQ3 and Astro Chicken.

Divinity: Original Sin
I played for about 5 hours and I saw only 2 direct sierra dead end references: one with Delores that is a character who wants to be an adveture game developer, and another with the pidgeons brothers/sisters, that references that dying in adventures was a thing that started in Monkey Island 1 and was for the best.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Played for like 30 minutes, this is fantastic. Really good engine too. I can't believe it is 2017 and I am playing a classic VERB LA(ish) style game. FUCK YES!

So far though, my characters seem to know something about a pillow fire (they ask this to someone, I think it was the Sheriff). I'm assuming this is some bug, because I don't even know what that is (yet).

Alex

Arcane
Played for like 30 minutes, this is fantastic. Really good engine too. I can't believe it is 2017 and I am playing a classic VERB LA(ish) style game. FUCK YES!

So far though, my characters seem to know something about a pillow fire (they ask this to someone, I think it was the Sheriff). I'm assuming this is some bug, because I don't even know what that is (yet).

No bug, check your notes. The characters have their own agendas.

Quatlo

Arcane

Except you could, yet again, remove 3/4 of the verbs and leave Use/look/talk buttons since there is realy nothing else to do there

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Did anyone finish the game with all the specks of dust yet? Does it change anything?

I finished with them the first time, so I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. How was the endgame for you? And how pissed off were you?
Pissed off? Not really. The game was both too easy and too quick to finish, but all in all I liked the VA, engine and graphics. Story and dialogue was serviceable but mostly left me wanting. I'm pretty sure, or at least I hope, that I missed a lot of secrets/funny combinations/hidden stuff to interact with.
Unless you mean pissed off
at all the locations that were scrapped ingame but are shown in the ending. Damn.

Alex

Arcane
Did anyone finish the game with all the specks of dust yet? Does it change anything?

I finished with them the first time, so I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. How was the endgame for you? And how pissed off were you?
Pissed off? Not really. The game was both too easy and too quick to finish, but all in all I liked the VA, engine and graphics. Story and dialogue was serviceable but mostly left me wanting. I'm pretty sure, or at least I hope, that I missed a lot of secrets/funny combinations/hidden stuff to interact with.
Unless you mean pissed off
at all the locations that were scrapped ingame but are shown in the ending. Damn.

I meant pissed off at
Really, I am giving away the ending here. Stop reading if you haven't finished the game.
the stupid ending where it turns out that everything is really a computer game, at which point all the points of the mystery are dropped. And it is no longer even considered who killed the guy at the beginning, who was the mysterious shadow that knocks Reyes out in the alley, what exactly was done about the coroner, etc. That really pissed me off, but maybe because I actually enjoyed the game a lot up to that point.

Last edited:
Finished the game, spoilers for the very special persons that go into threads about videogames they haven't finished yet looking for hints or who knows what. Weirdos.

The fourth wall "jokes" (they are awful) and references do "make sense" at the end but the story is shit and Ron Gilbert is a pretentious hack and Delores is the most pandering shitty character they could have made.

Nice graphics and music though but if this is him at his best I hope he never makes Monkey Island 3. Take the secret to the grave Ron, I bet it's going to disappointing.

talan

Augur
I think it's just an achievement thing. There's also an achievement if you don't collect any specks.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I barely played for 30 minutes but these fucking fourth wall breaking jokes are awful, do they ever stop?

Agreed, an in-joke here and there is fine, but so far it's been kinda

look-at-my-kids.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom