Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

neilsouth

Augur
Thimbleweed Park 64 - What if, of Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick's Adventure on the C64

17800431.jpg

http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/04/thimbleweed-park-64-what-if-of-ron.html

:D

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just started playing, it seems p. cool plus it works with a touch screen so I can play it on my Surface Pro 4 while taking a shit or in bed.

See Wadjet Eye, this is how you do it, IS THAT SO FUCKING HARD JESUS FUCK?

Pretty :decline:'d though is the fact that keyboard shortcuts for verbs don't work like pressing o to select open. That's pure consoletardation right there.

Also, the voice acting is bad and whoever made it should feel bad.

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I really liked the comic-Twin Peaks vibe at in the first half of the game. I wish it had stuck it out with that vibe for the whole duration. 4th wall jokes were a little heavy handed, but only slightly more so than things Guybrush or Legend Entertainment games did. I really can't imagine someone under 25 enjoying it too much unless they have a special fetish for the late80s/early90s.
Voice acting and engine are fantastic, moar plz.
Switching between characters got tiresome when it didn't *really* feel like it added much to the plot or mechanics -- unlike DOTT or MM Switching characters was not all that interesting or important, at least once their little "flashbacks" were over with. None of the puzzles were more clever for it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started playing this. It's pretty good. Probably not going to be the same level of consistent quality as Monkey Island 1 and 2 from beginning to end, but still. It's good.

Tim Schafer should look at this and be ashamed, because this is how you do an old school adventure game without being ridiculously over-budget while disappointing everyone who pledged for the kickstarter.

Just the mere fact that this isn't a scam makes it 100 times better than Broken Age.

Alex

Arcane
Just started playing, it seems p. cool plus it works with a touch screen so I can play it on my Surface Pro 4 while taking a shit or in bed.

Pretty :decline:'d though is the fact that keyboard shortcuts for verbs don't work like pressing o to select open. That's pure consoletardation right there.

The key shortcuts work like in Maniac Mansion. Here is a sheet describing everything, but basically, qwe, asd and zxc map to the verb window, so q is open and s is look at, for instance.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Started playing this. It's pretty good. Probably not going to be the same level of consistent quality as Monkey Island 1 and 2 from beginning to end, but still. It's good.

Tim Schafer should look at this and be ashamed, because this is how you do an old school adventure game without being ridiculously over-budget while disappointing everyone who pledged for the kickstarter.

Just the mere fact that this isn't a scam makes it 100 times better than Broken Age.
It's amazing what you can do if you don't pay a bazillion dollars for Jack Black and crazy artists and instead just make a game.

Astral Rag

Arcane

The key shortcuts work like in Maniac Mansion. Here is a sheet describing everything, but basically, qwe, asd and zxc map to the verb window, so q is open and s is look at, for instance.

You can edit them now:

Today we released a new build and recommend that you update your game when you can. Thanks to those players who helped find issues with the game! Please report any bugs you find to support@thimbleweedpark.com

Build 1307.858
Fixed a few rare game-breaking issues related to the portal, the pirate hat, Ransome's cheese, and Willy's dime. (Many thanks to the eagle-eyed players who reported these!). If you experienced one of these, your saved game will be repaired in the new build!
Additional minor bug fixes.
Ctrl-o now opens options.
Mouse wheel now scrolls inventory.
Remapping of verb hot keys now available by editing the Prefs file.

Please also note: You probably don't really need all those Save Game slots, but if a character asks you to save your game... do.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And finished.

Two major complaints from me:

- Too much agents Reyes & Ray, not enough Ransome the Clown.
- In true oldschool adventure game fashion, some of the middle-late game puzzles were total bullshit that got me terminally stuck. Like the bank suddenly opening up with no announcement at all, chuck's lucky number or the later tube shop pickups.

I also didn't like it much initially how it went from the murder mystery (which was cool) to the whole zomg evil AI shenanigans (which were eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh), but the way it developed was fine in the end.

All in all, though, I liked it much. Not the best AG in the last 10 years perhaps, but definitely gud. And definitely oldskul in a lot of ways.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It just isn't a proper game launch until the neutral-positive Darth Roxor Review comes out :salute:

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Quatlo

Arcane
not enough Ransome the Clown
*beep*ing this.

I had no trouble with chuck's lucky number because I remembered there was a stack of random news in the newspaper room, I first tried to read the announcement board, then moved on to the newspapers, it was really easy puzzle for me. Bank opening up in the middle of the night was pure random horseshit, especially because I've spent good lamount of time trying to get into the abandoned factory to speak to them since supposedly bankers were there.
Also, there was that moment in midgame where I really had no idea what to do to progress, turns out I didnt steal toilet paper from the hotel since I was looking for some CLOTH not piece of paper, why toilet paper and not one of 9001 paper/cloth pieces I had on me is beyond me.
I really liked the ghost shenanigans and how it forced you to think out of the box, but there wasn't nearly enough of it because you are contained to 1 area and its maybe 2-3 puzzles at most.

Overall pretty good game and it shows even more how much of a hack 3.3 million dollar man is and how Gilbert actually did all the legwork compared to the scam artist.
Its very soliid 7+/10 but highly reccomended.

Comte

*beep*ing this.

I had no trouble with chuck's lucky number because I remembered there was a stack of random news in the newspaper room, I first tried to read the announcement board, then moved on to the newspapers, it was really easy puzzle for me. Bank opening up in the middle of the night was pure random horseshit, especially because I've spent good lamount of time trying to get into the abandoned factory to speak to them since supposedly bankers were there.
Also, there was that moment in midgame where I really had no idea what to do to progress, turns out I didnt steal toilet paper from the hotel since I was looking for some CLOTH not piece of paper, why toilet paper and not one of 9001 paper/cloth pieces I had on me is beyond me.
I really liked the ghost shenanigans and how it forced you to think out of the box, but there wasn't nearly enough of it because you are contained to 1 area and its maybe 2-3 puzzles at most.

Overall pretty good game and it shows even more how much of a hack 3.3 million dollar man is and how Gilbert actually did all the legwork compared to the scam artist.
Its very soliid 7+/10 but highly reccomended.
You can also steal toilet paper from the dingy QuickiePal bathroom.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh actually one more major complaint

I dislike how the ending reveal just completely drops all the questions posed throughout the game. Such as...

1. Who was actually doing the killings? Of both Franklin and the starting guy? Sure, you could say it was probably one of Chuck's minions, like the sheriff for instance, but that sorta glitches with...
2. Who was it that knocked out Reyes behind the diner and dragged him into the sewer? And why? And if it was one of Chuck's minions from #1, why didn't he kill Reyes too?
3. The hell was the deal with the ominous MEANWHILE!!! scene with the coroner cloning (?) Ray?

meh

rezaf

Cipher

I think it's mentioned in one of Chuck's journal-a-rino's that it was he who killed Franklin.
But yeah, I also was plenty disappointed by how disjointed everything ended up being.

Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken also had pretty disjointed plots, but were cleverly constructed so everything kinda made more sense than TP ever does. Which is sad.
I hope they'll end up reusing the engine to make a better game able to stand on it's own as a game rather than a fan tribute - because I thought they hit almost the right spot with modernizing the ancient SCUMM conventions with hires graphics and speech and stuff.
I'd totally play more games like that if they were ... actually designed as games and not as peeks through rose colored glasses.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
- Too much agents Reyes & Ray, not enough Ransome the Clown.
(snip...)

I thought the agents were fine. Their major problem was that they were never developed much, but at least they had potential. Delores annoyed me way more, since you have to use her a lot at the end game and there isn't anything particularly interesting about her.

(...snip)
I also didn't like it much initially how it went from the murder mystery (which was cool) to the whole zomg evil AI shenanigans (which were eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh), but the way it developed was fine in the end.
(snip...)

Eh, that ending really pissed me off.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I liked the agents! Well, Ray, I mostly played with her.

In fact, the last thing I did was begin 'Part 4' and I was disappointed to see Ray go. Now, I'm sure she comes back sooner or later, but still can't be assed to go back and play as the other characters now.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

I dislike how the ending reveal just completely drops all the questions posed throughout the game. Such as...

1. Who was actually doing the killings? Of both Franklin and the starting guy? Sure, you could say it was probably one of Chuck's minions, like the sheriff for instance, but that sorta glitches with...
2. Who was it that knocked out Reyes behind the diner and dragged him into the sewer? And why? And if it was one of Chuck's minions from #1, why didn't he kill Reyes too?
3. The hell was the deal with the ominous MEANWHILE!!! scene with the coroner cloning (?) Ray?

meh

My thoughts exactly, guess they just leave everything aside and it is "justified" because of how it resolves in the end, but it felt lazy to me.

The game is gud, certainly does what it promised, an old school adventure game with improved graphics and things, but the story/resolution could've been better. I'm hopeful for a next game if they decide to go for it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
okay, finished the game.

some non-spoilery pros and cons:

pros:
-the visuals are awesome. it's a great rendition of classic P&C adventure with modern touch. the environments are colorful and varied, some scenes are great. i love how the lighting works, especially how it affects the characters and some other stuff. it's great
-the music, atmosphere etc. kinda creepy, goofy and crazy at the same time and it just works
-the last puzzle is kinda entertaining and fun 4th breaking stuff. not for everyone i guess, but i find it actually funny

meh:
- the puzzle design are either too easy or too absurd like roxor said in his post. the middle one are too unstructured and give a little clue about a new places opening up.
-voice acting. it's tolerable, but nothing that that.

bad:

-the references, gosh the references, easter eggs, etc. the first 3 are maybe funny, but it just keep going on and on and on. i know you love adventure games, i love adventure games, but there is no need to rub it on our faces that many time. dude wtf.

spoilery stuff:

-the plot is really disjointed. i love the idea, and i know ron gilbert probably wanted to this whole "everything is an illusion/dream/simulation!" kind of story since monkey island 2, but since monkey sequels retconned that, i guess ron gilbert got 25 years old blue balls until thimbleweed and decided to cum it all on us.

again, i like the idea, but the execution was meh. the plot is made up by some unrelated events and the devs try to tied up with one weak chain. all the plot holes are explained by "because that's the script and you know and the cahracters in game now know they are a videogame.

again it can be a cool thing if it was executed well, foreshadowed in more detail etc. we instead got info dump in the end.

-the omniscient characters. like the characters just decided to work together when they never talked about it and have no reason to. maybe i missed some stuff, but the only people that had a reason and dialogue for them to work together is ray and reyes. at first each characters are doing their own thing, but as the game goes, it require them to work together and have no opening/warmup for the characters to agree to work together. you just doing a puzzle and started to realize you need more than 1 person to do this, and the only reason they work with each other is because the players are controlling them.

this could be avoided with several lines of dialogue like reyes and ray do, give it to everyone. "i need this, you need this, why dont we 4 (5) work together?" that would be enough. again this is probably averted by the plot twist, but it is just proof of using the plot twist as a cop out to resolve plot holes

overall it is still a decent game. if ron gilbert do make another one of these, i will absolutely play it. i just hope they don't milk the nostalgia next time and create something new that still feel like a classic.

it is a solid 7/10 game. as far as modern adventure games goes, i still think primordia, memoria and blackwell games are prime example of modern adventure greatness.

meh

okay, finished the game.
-the plot is really disjointed. i love the idea, and i know ron gilbert probably wanted to this whole "everything is an illusion/dream/simulation!" kind of story since monkey island 2, but since monkey sequels retconned that, i guess ron gilbert got 25 years old blue balls until thimbleweed and decided to cum it all on us.

again, i like the idea, but the execution was meh. the plot is made up by some unrelated events and the devs try to tied up with one weak chain. all the plot holes are explained by "because that's the script and you know and the cahracters in game now know they are a videogame.

again it can be a cool thing if it was executed well, foreshadowed in more detail etc. we instead got info dump in the end.

-the omniscient characters. like the characters just decided to work together when they never talked about it and have no reason to. maybe i missed some stuff, but the only people that had a reason and dialogue for them to work together is ray and reyes. at first each characters are doing their own thing, but as the game goes, it require them to work together and have no opening/warmup for the characters to agree to work together. you just doing a puzzle and started to realize you need more than 1 person to do this, and the only reason they work with each other is because the players are controlling them.

this could be avoided with several lines of dialogue like reyes and ray do, give it to everyone. "i need this, you need this, why dont we 4 (5) work together?" that would be enough. again this is probably averted by the plot twist, but it is just proof of using the plot twist as a cop out to resolve plot holes

overall it is still a decent game. if ron gilbert do make another one of these, i will absolutely play it. i just hope they don't milk the nostalgia next time and create something new that still feel like a classic.

it is a solid 7/10 game. as far as modern adventure games goes, i still think primordia, memoria and blackwell games are prime example of modern adventure greatness.

Answer
to everything is "because it's a videogame". Who killed who doesn't matter because in the end they're all trapped in a videogame. The characters work together without reason or even talking between them because it's a videogame.

Ron Gilbet is a lazy faggot

Zetor

Arcane
Game was OK, good for what it is, too many references, etc. not going to repeat what everyone else has said so far.

However, I'll say this: Ron Gilbert needs to make a spinoff game where you play as Ransome (and only Ransome). I'd d1p that shit*bleep*.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom