Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
As far as I understand, the answer is that there is no answer. The scene in the coroner's office happened because it was programmed to happen. The german guy died because he was programmed to die. This stuff just happens, much like Delores can exist without having a mother. Which is why I hate that ending!
Nailed it :salute:
This is the exact answer I'd expect from any of the writers asked those questions, and its fucking lame.

Gord

Arcane
That would indeed be a rather lame answer.
It would work, if the story was set up in a way that the game started on the "predefined" path but started to deviate from it due the characters gaining self-awareness/the player being led down a different path (probably with help from Chuck) and that meta-plot was actually executed well.
However, I don't really see that in the game. Probably they intended just that, but then the execution is lacking, imo.

I enjoyed Thimbleweed Park, but I still can't help but feel that the overall story(-telling) could have used another correction pass or two.

Divinity: Original Sin
We can only hope the ending is a lie as monkey 2 end was (not because they made monkey 3, but because Ron said so), and this time, Ron Gilbert will have the chance to make a sequel himself...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Meh, what a shitty ending. They obviously ran out of time, and just adressing all the open plotholes to SPOILER is a little to cheap.

But overall a good adventure, bonus points if you were already alive during adventure's peak time. Would play again. If it had any replayability value.
:4/5:

Also:
5) Dialog Skip: I gave credit to the Verb Interface in the previous section as one of the things they did right, but the user interface is far from perfect. Taking a cue from the new King’s Quest game, they did not include a way to skip dialog.
Lol noobs! Real adventure pros know you just have to press the period key to skip dialog!!!!! (I googled it, how would I know)

Alex

Arcane
If they ran out of time, they could have set up for a sequel instead. I am afraid the ending was always planned like this. Maybe it wouldn't feel so abrupt and leave so much stuff open if they had more time, but I doubt it was ever something different.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I sometimes wonder if, indeed, it was just intended like that.

The homeless guy being wrongly accused could be some sort of "injoke", a funny way to end this story thread and that's it. It's just moving to something else. A joke. It felt perceived as a loose end, but might have been intended as a joke.
I'm much more butthurt at trying to get Franklin out of the hotel with the crystal in the penthouse. I spent way too much time trying to do that ; it's strongly hinted that you can.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
fortunately I stumbled on the solution to that one while trying to cheat my way through a different puzzle

I didn't think Franklin could use the phones in the hotel because obviously he couldn't lift the handset

Boleskine

Arcane
https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/forums

Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

by Ron Gilbert
May 05, 2017
Announcing the Official Thimbleweed Park Forums. No longer will you have to scroll through hundreds of uncategorized messages looking for that gem of a comment.

I've closed all comments on the blog, so if you want to continue to chat about Thimbleweed Park, head on over to the Official Thimbleweed Park Forums.

When I post a new blog entires, the comments for those entries will open up again.

Special thanks to Robin Ward, a backer, blog reader, and co-founder of Discourse, for helping to set all this up.

- Ron

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hah: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...new-classic-point-and-click-adv/posts/1878037

Less In-Jokes, More Everything Else!

Hello there, Backer-a-renos!

Well… That was an epic release!

We got an amazing response from you, from the press, from the world! We’re so excited so many of you have been playing AND loving Thimbleweed Park. It’s been really awesome to finally be able to share our game with you.

So what have we been doing since release? Certainly not taking big holidays! And we haven’t forgotten you! It’s thanks to you that we were able to pour our hearts into Thimbleweed Park and make a game we’re really proud of.

We spent the first week after launch rapidly fixing a bunch of bugs that crept into the game & then we moved on to all our other plans!

Less In-Jokes Right Now
One of the biggest complaints we heard was the sheer number of in-jokes we hid in the game. So in a fit of passive-aggressiveness, we updated the game to make in-jokes optional. In the latest version they're turned off by default. If you want to turn them back on simply go into the options menu and then enable “annoying in-jokes”.

More Languages Right Now
In addition to supporting subtitles in German, French, Spanish & Italian, last week we released Russian subtitles! So if you’re a Russian speaker, know Russian speakers or want to learn Russian, spread the word that Thimbleweed Park can speak your language!

d7c8023f5fd5cfce2c8f1852dc81005b_original.png

Now with more Russian!

More Rewards Coming Soon
We’ve still got some promises to keep: specifically the making of art book & PDF and all the physical rewards. We’re working on finalising the design of these and working on getting these into productions as soon as possible. If you’re getting physical rewards, we’ll send an email asking you to update your shipping address right before we ship them. We’ll also post about it here in a Kickstarter update. So until then, sit back and enjoy the game!

More Platforms Coming Soon
We’re working on the iOS and Android ports to Thimbleweed Park currently. We’re aiming to release them within a couple of months, maybe sooner. Unfortunately, due to the way iOS and Android games are distributed, we're unable to give Backer-a-renos keys for these versions, but we'll still let you know when they launch.

You may have heard rumors about Thimbleweed Park coming to PS4, Nintendo Switch, or other platforms. We don’t have anything official to announce, that is we can neither confirm nor deny these rumors… We're still working out what is possible and when things might happen. If we do bring Thimbleweed Park to other platforms, we won't be able to provide Backer-a-renos with keys, but we'll definitely share the good news!

More Forums Right Now
Do you hunger to talk to fellow Thimbleheads/Parkers/TPers/Renos on forums? Well… hunger no more! We’ve set up some lovely forums for you to play in. Head along here: https://forums.thimbleweedpark.com/

More Questions?!
Still have burning questions we haven’t answered? Or have any support issues? Get in touch with the team at: support@thimbleweedpark.com

Sizzle

Arcane
Is this worth buying? still on the fence.. Yes/no?

Great puzzle design (not on par with some of Lucas Arts' masterpieces, but definitely some of the best that we've seen in a long time), excellent art.

The story is too meta for its own good. And not the kind of meta that was featured in Monkey Island 2 (where it was clever and made sense), but the kind that tries to be several things at once (commentary on the state of modern game/adventure design, our willful acceptance of "fake" video game protagonist because we've been conditioned to readily accept and construct them like that, etc.), and more or less fails at making a concrete point because the meta-narrative and real game narrative didn't mesh together so well and ended up being jarring and feeling forcfully tacked on and surpeflous.

But yes, all in all - a good (if not excellent) adventure game, and one of the few Kickstarters which definitely delivered on their promises.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
the game was excellent, buy it

probably only second to Primordia in the last several years
Well, the story/atmosphere/writing in Primordia are much better, but overall the puzzle design is a fair bit better in Thimbleweed Park (sorry MRY, but it's true), so it sort of depends what you're looking for in an adventure game. There have been other PnC adventures in recent years that have been in the same echelon, though (Journey Down, Chaos on Deponia, Memoria).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom