Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait, wait, what? Spaceventure is still not out yet? Holy fuck dude, that's like 5.5 years isn't it?

They're getting close, meaning a 2018 release is 95% probable. (The other 5% is them giving up on the game.)

As to why they're so late: They're old and have to deal with Real Life stuff.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait, wait, what? Spaceventure is still not out yet? Holy fuck dude, that's like 5.5 years isn't it?

They're getting close, meaning a 2018 release is 95% probable. (The other 5% is them giving up on the game.)

As to why they're so late: They're old and have to deal with Real Life stuff.
"Game not released due to failing prostate." - the best KS update ever

Astral Rag

Arcane
22366769_1668019389896332_4220202281797210630_n.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This doesn't prove anything ; show us the patent for a toilet paper holder instead ; side of the paper towel roll is relative to said holder and wall.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This doesn't prove anything ; show us the patent for a toilet paper holder instead ; side of the paper towel roll is relative to said holder and wall.

Let's start with the original patent image, in its full glory:

US459516-0.png

See Fig. 1 for your answer.

In the likely event that you're not satisfied, here's a patent filed not 6 months after the above patent, and specifically for a toilet roll holder:

US469301-0.png

If you're still not satisfied then I cannot help you with your delusional state of mind, except to suggest that you bang your head against the nearest wall until you fall unconscious. Repeat as needed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...new-classic-point-and-click-adv/posts/2027648

Physical Backer Rewards Shipped!

dda274c46b9e4797184b2a814d841a00_original.jpg

95% of backers have been shipped their physical rewards!!

The other 5% are people who haven't got in touch with us to complete their order or confirm their shipping address. If you're in the 5%, ie someone who should have got physical rewards and hasn't got them yet, read the guide at the bottom of this email about what steps you need to take.

Art Book PDF
ac6b43ec2d048a2c021e5bacca580019_original.png

We finished the art book and the physical versions have been shipped out. Now we've also finished the digital version!

If you got the digital PDF version, you should have an email from PledgeManager now saying you can redeem your code.

On the PledgeManager "order complete" page, scroll down and on the right is a section "My Codes", click "Claim My Codes" at the bottom of that section to get the art book download code. Note that it’s a code for Bandcamp. Bandcamp normally does music and soundtracks, but it turned out to be a super easy way to send you a digital reward!

Connecting to other Fan-a-renos
Did you love Thimbleweed Park and want to talk to other people who like it to? Want to find out about other adventure games that people love? Want to talk nitty gritty details?

Visit our forums!

Released on More Platforms

Play on your favorite device!

We completed our final stretch goal to release on iOS and Android!! We also released on PS4, Switch!! That means Thimbleweed Park is now on all major modern platforms! Tell your friends!

Please note that due to the way other platforms work, we can’t give backers keys to any of these platforms. The only platforms available as backer rewards were Mac, Windows and Linux.

If you got a digital copy of the game as a reward, your Steam key is valid for PC, Mac and Linux and is accessible via PledgeManager. If you want a DRM-free GOG key and haven't got one yet, please sign up on the Google form.

I want some (more) physical goodies!
Don’t want to unwrap your backer edition box? Or did you miss out on the physical reward tiers? Or do you want something more for your awesome Thimbleweed Park collection?

Check out our amazing stuff on Fangamer...

We’ve got mugs, a solid metal city limits signs, ThimbleCon posters and shirts, magnets AND the non-backer version of the big box!

Note: The big box was much more popular on Fangamer than expected, so it’s in pre-order status and will be getting shipped in late November.

Where are my physical rewards?
Everything should be shipped now, except the postcard. If you’re due to get the postcard, hold tight, they’ll be coming within a month.

For everyone else who is missing rewards, if you don't follow the steps below you will not get your rewards!

Our shipping process got more complex than we wanted, but we hope it means that your rewards won’t end up getting sent to those chumps living at your old house.

1) Complete your order in PledgeManager:

• Get it into a state that says "order complete" on the final page.
  • If you have issues completing your order or it’s not as you expect, get in touch with us at support@thimbleweedpark.com
2) Get email from Fangamer:

• If you completed your PledgeManager order after 6th September: wait another 2 weeks then look out for an email from Fangamer.
  • If you completed your PledgeManager order before 6th September: you should already have email from Fangamer.
  • Search for an email from Fangamer in your inbox or junk mail or spam or promotions folders.
3) Use the email from Fangamer to confirm your shipping address:

4) Wait at your mailbox until rewards arrive!

• Ok, well... you don't have to wait there all the time, but be on the lookout for them.
You MUST make sure you've done all the steps above by the end of the year or you will not get your rewards!!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

I have done my best to field the question, but no doubt you guys can do better.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Eh, I'd just throw good games at him and hope something sticks. That's what I did!

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I'm quite afraid that he doesn't play much ans is not willing to absorb the essence of RPGs. I'd rather he stick to point'n'clicks.
Deathspank and The Cave were not so good.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
RPG has lost it's meaning over the years and I use it in that context.

that's the money shot, it's not an RPG, he just doesn't want to call it an adventure game

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane

Grumpy Gamer v3
Welcome to the all new Grumpy Gamer Blog!

It has all of the content from the old blog minus the stupid stuff. I removed a lot of the old posts teasing the lead up to my new games like The Cave, Scurvy and, of course, Thimbleweed Park. They were just noise.

Now that Thimbleweed Park is done and I won't be blogging there as much, it felt like I needed a new outlet to gripe and complain.

Also, for the most part, I am leaving Twitter.

It's a hostile crap-filled dumpster-fire of shit. I stopping checking and posting on Twitter a few weeks ago while I was on vacation and I realized how much better my life was. When I got back, I had no real desire to go back, so I haven't.

And no one has noticed.

Twitter is like an F2P game, they both tap into a horrible part of our lizard brain. F2P games trigger dopamine associated with gambling and the become an addition. You aren't playing them because you enjoy the game, you're playing them because you're addicted. You are just convincing yourself you're having (true) fun,

Twitter (and social media in general) is the same. You're addicted to likes, followers, and mentions. People have found the best way to get the proceeding is to post angry shit and enrage people. As we are seeing, this is not good for us as people, or us as a society. I'm tired of it and I'm not going to be a part of it anymore, at least until it (or we) change.

I do worry about staying connected to what is happening in the world of making a game. It seems like Twitter is a good place to do that, but it's also filled with hype and egos and bitching and probably not the "best way" to stay in touch.

The final straw for quitting Twitter was when I got back from vacation, there was a Twitter thread about Monkey Island being ranking 172 of the best games ever by some big website. My mentioned were filled with people dumping shit on the website and expecting me to jump in. Look... I don't care. It is of no importance to me where Monkey Island falls on some list. Lists are made by people and people have different opinions.

It just struck me how much pointless anger there was, and worse, they expected me to join in.

I. Just. Don't. Care. I'm done.

If you are on Twitter and want to know what's up with Thimbleweed Park (including the new Ransome unbeeped DLC), please follow @thimbleweedpark.

There are no comments on the new Grumpy Gamer blog. I haven't decided if I'm going to add them or not.

Update: 1) There are comments on the Grumpy Gamer Blog now. 2) New blog posts will be echoed to Twitter, but I won't be logging on, so I won't see your replies or likes.
cd8477701d2e977cfb27b0d65ed9d95a--tintin-ha-ha.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
He's not necessarily wrong. In fact, his post kind of proves the impact Twitter has had on him, as it reads a little like it was written by the Ascian dissident in The Citadel of the Autarch (who can only use party-approved idioms to tell his story), insofar as it is composed of angry Twitter catch phrases like "dumpster-fire," "lizard brain," "I. Just. Don't. Care. I'm done." Glad he's getting away from it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The dude is in his 50s, he was surfing around on the internet before it was even available to the general public, and he still managed to get addicted to social media. What an embarrassment.

Don Peste

Arcane

Paul: What is Ron Gilbert's ultimate goal in the gaming industry? Eg: To make a big popular game and then be able to make whatever you want off the back of it? Continually make great games for a loyal smaller audience (eg. PnC fans) within budget and with reasonably healthy profit on each? Branch out and make games in different genres? Build Terrible Toybox further and make it a main game studio? Put out artistic games that push boundaries, but don't necessarily find a large audience?

Holy crap is this is a deep minefield of a question. Why do we do what we do? Doing any commercial creative venture is done for one of five reasons. 1) To make money, 2) Critical acclaim, 3) Peer approval, 4) Personal fulfillment, 5) Player enjoyment (or any combination of those). At a core level, why do I make games? If I was going to be honest, I'd say it's 4, 5 and 3, but I need 1 due to not being independently wealthy. Thimbleweed Park did 4 and 5, didn't really do 3 and did 1, but only at a breakeven level. You can't run a risky business like making games at breakeven. No matter how good you are, you will have failures and you need to make enough to endure those without destroying the company and yourself. Part of 3 is making something that your peers and the industry take notice of, something that "moves the meter". Doing point-and-click adventures at breakeven doesn't do that, and I think that's always been a motivator of mine. This is an honest answer that it's easy to read too much into, so don't do that.

uriel: From what I read is my understanding that Thimbleweed Park sold fine but it was not a resounding success. Do you think a bigger marketing campaign would have increased revenue to the point of making enough money to fully fund the next game? I guess I'm wondering how much do you think marketing can influence the success of a game. Thanks for doing this btw.

I think it's fairer to say Thimbleweed Park "sold well". I had a range of what I thought would be acceptable and sales were towards the bottom, but not below. I don't think more marketing would have helped. We had good (even great) PR and we got picked up by all the major publications, so I don't know if there was anything more we could have done. I think there were three core issues with Thimbleweed Park:

1) Point-and-click has a huge stigma attached to it and I vastly underestimated that. I figured that if you designed a really good point-and-click game, people would respond. And that is partly true. For the people who took the plunge and played it, they were pleasantly (and often overwhelmingly) surprised. But, too many other people (and a fair number of industry people) just wrote it off.

2) Influencers (press and widely known devs) in the industry are craving deep, meaningful and grown-up narrative games, and they will latch onto games that even hint at that, even if they do a crappy job at it. Thimbleweed Park is not that game. Thimbleweed Park is the best Scooby Doo story you've ever played and doesn't pretend to be a deep soul searching reflection for the player.

3) We struggled with what was needed to do a successful Kickstarter and what's needed to release a successful game. Doing the Maniac Mansion art style and layout was key to invoking the right nostalgia and ending with a highly successful Kickstarter, but some of those choices also limited its "market success". I'm very proud that we delivered on what we promised for the Kickstarter. We talked about dropping the verbs and dropping the dollhouse Maniac Mansion layout but ultimately decided not to in favor of being true to the campaign. In the end, maybe we made the wrong "business" decision, but I feel we made the right "personal creative" decision and I don't regret it.

4) Or... maybe we didn't make a very compelling and interesting game. You always have to consider that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom