Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Things in RPGs that make you happy

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Gigantic dungeons with puzzles, traps, events, all the good stuff.

Freddie

Savant
Different sorts of scenarios in game, tied into campaign or optional. I really liked some things in Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun games, FO: New Vegas and further back, in Arcanum and Fallouts.

Discovering stuff, like space combat in Buck Rogers games, it just works.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
  • Good Character Development System - useful skills and stats that affect how I can play; not being able to master/max out all those skills/stats but only some to encourage replayability, think thoroughly on my playstyle and make a unique build and also to add some realism (you can't be good at everything); a system that can be the least humanly possible to brake (every system can be broken, the fewer the ways to do it the more it means the system is good and consistent).
  • Good and Complex Gameplay Mechanics - Combat, Shealth, Movement, AI, Dialogue system, Economy, Itemization and so on and so forth.
  • Good Content - quests, exploration, level design, events, atmosphere and worldbuilding must be challenging, fun and insteresting; when well made they give a sense of adventure and become immensly enjoyable and replayable.
  • Emergent Gameplay - this one is tightly connected to my 2nd point; multiple ways of aproaching an objective; unscripted fun.
  • Astetics and Audio - this one isn't a must like the above but they can help with the gameplay (by relaying extra information) and transmit the apropriate athmosphere; plus unique visulas and the right music/sound effects can leave a lasting and pleasent mark.
Things I absolutely despise in RPG's (and games in general):
  • Storyfagging: walls of text, long dialogues, un-skipable cut-scenes, romances and other emotional engaging bullshit and the developers being generally more interested in telling me a '''''''good''''''' story than giving me a good game;
  • Shit UI and optimization

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Games where all of the mechanics aren't revealed in the first few hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom