Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the worst console generation of all time

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
True story about consoles.

Back when I was bar mitzvahed, I was given a few hundred from my gift money to get myself a little something. So the choice was down to the original Playstation, a powerhouse with a library that almost guaranteed Sony would still be putting out Playstation-brand consoles to this day and the Sega Saturn, a console eight people bought.

I chose the Sega Saturn.

I needed a really great game to play on my Saturn, so the obvious choice at the time was Tomb Raider, one of the biggest titles ever and a bonafide franchise-starter, or Tunnel B-1.

I chose Tunnel B-1.

A Jew who makes poor investments.

Have your people disowned you yet?

Higher Animal

Arcane
I would actually like to know what games the PS3 has that makes it such a worthwhile purchase. I mean, not sarcastically or 2ejee4u or anything, but like, what?

Like, Naughty Dog games which are all on the PS4?

Like, empty/dead FPS or 3PS, some of which Sony actually shut down 1-2 years after release? (MAG, Resistance 2, UT3, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Killzone 2)?

Like, exclusive map packs/patches no longer hosted on PSN for third party titles that are nearly a decade old like Bioshock and Mirror's Edge? (Seriously, does that "exclusive" content cease to exist except on the PSN user's hard drives?)

Like, "non-pc" titles, 95% of which run better on the xbox 360. (Even Ninja Theory's "enslaved: odyssey to the west" ran better on the 360, and they were once a second party developer for Sony!)

Like, PSN games which are all on the PC, anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I pulled for Sony last gen because they were the only company doing interesting things with technology. I think they introduced proprietary technology and had the best value for the money. I also think Sony dedicated a lot of resources to game development and managed to poop out half interesting titles. That said, the PS3 was an abject failure by any objective standard. Nearly every reason to own a PS3 has been annihilated by time.

I can count about 5 titles for the PS3 as an exclusive games box. Another three or four if you don't own a ps4. Maybe four more games if you don't own an xbox 360. Contrast this situation with the ps2, which has about 300 games worth playing that are completely exclusive.

Jasede The Last Guardian will likely be not good. Fumito Ueda has clashed with Sony since Shadow of the Colossus's development. In 2009, he wanted to leave Sony and the rest of the team was ready to quit. It was only revived due to constant journalist/fan pressure and has gone through multiple iterations as a concept. The game has the development trajectory of Duke Nukem: Forever, and will have the same fate.

PS4 has some niche appeal due to Gran Turismo, Media Molecule, David Cage, and baseball simulation. It, however, has no real future for any "gamer" types out there. Unless you don't have a PC, of course.

Last edited:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Consoles are dead. Xbone, PS4 and Nintendo NX will be the last of its kind. If anything comes after it'll not follow the current console model (a box mad of plastic that plays disc-based games in the living room).

Bull fucking shit.

The alternatives for it are:
1) PC's
2) Streaming games

Both of which are by no means perfect replacement.
Although PC gaming became less of a chore(for me it's no chore at all but w/e), even Valve is clueless how to make it approachable for the average consolefag and fucked it up at the first serious attempt(steam machines).
Streaming is and will be plain shit because of wide range of reasons.

Average popamole joe doesn't give a fuck about exclusives. I've just browsed used PS4 nearby and they mostly sell them with AC:Unity, some CoD, Fifa and the likes. He gives a fuck about fancy brand-named TV box that can play games from time to time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You are forgetting mobile gaming, which is already pretty huge in Japan and console sales are suffering there as a result.

Machocruz

Arcane
I would actually like to know what games the PS3 has that makes it such a worthwhile purchase. I mean, not sarcastically or 2ejee4u or anything, but like, what?

Some Yakuza games, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, Disgaea 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank. Besides DeS, nothing that blew my skirt up or didn't have a better or equally good match on PS2. I don't like Naughty Dog or Insomniac games for the most part. I bought the thing in 2008, when I still thought it had a future. It was almost worth it for Demon's Souls.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Pretty much what Machocruz said, along with stuff like Little Big Planet and Ni No Kuni, I guess. Maybe crap from ThatOneGameCompany...but I would have a hard time even calling those games. After all the excessive porting the Sony did, as well as ports made to PC/Vita/what-have-you in the allotted time, the PS3 is really only good for a handful of games, and maybe even those HD editions of PS2 games for the lazy/emulator-retarded.

I guess the 360 did better in that regard, but I think that's only due to stupid licensing agreements and games selling so poorly nobody wants to bother with them again. I'm still optimistic about the PS4 not just being a Bloodborne machine, but we'll see how that ends up in another 4-6 years or so.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The killing blow was Microsoft creating a console, leading to The Great PC Developer Exodus.

Before then, consoles and personal computers existed in relative harmony. Halo predates whatever PS3 title you're thinking about.
PS3shitty = the 360 AND PS3 generation, though, not just PS3, so I'm not actually thinking about any PS3 title. Plenty of good FPS between 2001-2005 or whatever the Shitbox's lifespan was. Can't say the same for the last 10 years.

The decline definitely started with trash like Halo and Shitbox, but it wasn't the norm until 360/PS3.

Trotsky

Arcane
Multiplatform becoming the norm killed everything.

People assume this only hurt PC gaming but the trend was bad for consoles as well. I liked it when each console had its own unique flavor.

Even third party developers made exclusive content for each platform. You often couldn't experience everything and had to make a choice.

That model wasn't flawless but it kept costs down, supported niche genres, and maximized value for consumers. Homogenization isn't good.

Blowhard

Cipher
Can't argue. I especially dislike the trend toward creating more "open world" games. Maybe all the guys who made levels that were I don't know actually fun to navigate died or something. Every game these days, from GTAV, to Witcher III, to Mad Max, to FFXV, to Kingdom Hearts III, to MGSV, et al... have developed an almost identical play-style that has made modern gaming such an existentially depressing chore that it hilariously stops being about shitty games and more about the decline of civilization as a WHOLE. It would not be an exaggeration, I think, to say that these are almost the same game entirely, the only differences being minor aesthetic and mechanic fluff, haphazard paint-jobs to fool idiots into thinking they aren't spinning on the same consumerist merry go round as they were over a decade ago- when this sort of game design was actually new and somewhat forward thinking. Most of your time is not going to be spent engaged in actual mechanics, but walking, pressing forward, watching either dialogue or cut-scenes. An exercise in complete, mindless, and embarrassing infant pandering, what will be this generation's answer to the couch potato, the barely sentient husks of protoplasm with thumb permanently fused to their left analog, leaned slightly forward.

DeepOcean

Arcane
All the trouble started when videogames started being made for people who don't like video games. Right around the first XBOX, the first games with "cinematic" quality started being made, before, you would only play videogames if you liked videogames, after the XBOX and then the XBOX 360, you could make cinematic games that actually were shitty videogames, publishers realized that the quality of visuals alone could sell games and most people just wanted games to some cheap form of quick entertainment and visual spectacle. Some of my friends are dude bros, they are intelligent people but they fucking don't give a fuck to video games, videogames are just a toy for them and on the first moment they get frustrated, they give up. Playing a videogame and shutting down the brain to watch an episode of a sitcom is the very fucking same thing, they just don't care.

Same with video game "journalists", most are failed liberal arts people that desperately needed a job and being a gamming "journalist" pays the bills. They don't give a fuck to videogames, just on the most superficial way possible. I guess most of those fuckers are depressed hipsters that wanted a job on some "respected" industry but cant.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Kind of think of the current crop of consoles framed in the context of the release of the Amiga.

I went from C64 to Amiga and I expected the games to be 10x or 20x better. In some rare cases, they were (see Dungeon Master) But in most cases they were worn out ideas with better graphics. Why? Well, hell, I don't know. Developers need limits to work against? Systems need to be out pretty long for the best to emerge?

KK1001

Arbiter
Everything is shit, not just video games. We are seeing the decline of capitalism, my friends. The world is slowly spiraling downward - we just don't realize it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom