Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts about the story of the next Witcher game?

Tytus

Arcane
I think a good way to transition into a new lead would be to have Geralt take on another Tutelage. Sure it's a bit unoriginal and it's already been done in the form of Ciri, but it'd make sense with any of the endings of the Witcher 3. Whether it be Geralt being bored holed up with Triss/Yenn, i'd find it hard to believe he'd be going out of his way to kill epic monsters, but can easily see him using a student as a hobby of sorts and an excuse to keep his own skills/body sharp. Or if everyone leaves him, including Ciri, it could easily be portrayed as him seeking that of which he lost (a semblance of a family.) It'd also just make sense for Geralt to evolve into a Vesemir type character, considering Geralt himself viewed him as a Father almost.

Maybe not original as far as stories go, but it just makes sense. It'd also allow the player an Opportunity to customize their character any way they see fit, provide a sensible reason to reintroduce some of the recurring characters, and gives CDProjekt free reign on which direction to take the story all while having a "passing of the torch" to connect the player to the previous series. An old Grumpy Geralt would also be pretty fun to talk with.

Doesn't make much sense. Such student wouldn't become a Witcher - Geralt doesn't not how to perform trial of the grasses. Ciri made more sense, becasue she was a Source. Here you would be playing a normal guy without Witcher reflexes, senses and abilities. And judging by how often Geralt got himself almost killed because of his job, such guy wouldn't last long.

Going into the past before Kaer Morhen got destroyed. Geralt was a young Witcher back then (if I remember correctly) so you could meet him, and there was enough Witchers so you could create your own and be taught by Vesemir.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'd prefer for it to be set in the past, in the 'golden age' of Witchers. We'd design our own character, and start out as a 'child surprise' to one of the Witchers at Kaer Morhen. In the prologue we'd undergo the training, trials, and mutations.

Not the most creative idea (in fact very predictable and traditional), but I'd like it.

The prologue might conclude with the event where Kaer Morhen is stormed by the fanatics and mages.

Inziladun

Magister
I think a good way to transition into a new lead would be to have Geralt take on another Tutelage. Sure it's a bit unoriginal and it's already been done in the form of Ciri, but it'd make sense with any of the endings of the Witcher 3. Whether it be Geralt being bored holed up with Triss/Yenn, i'd find it hard to believe he'd be going out of his way to kill epic monsters, but can easily see him using a student as a hobby of sorts and an excuse to keep his own skills/body sharp. Or if everyone leaves him, including Ciri, it could easily be portrayed as him seeking that of which he lost (a semblance of a family.) It'd also just make sense for Geralt to evolve into a Vesemir type character, considering Geralt himself viewed him as a Father almost.

Maybe not original as far as stories go, but it just makes sense. It'd also allow the player an Opportunity to customize their character any way they see fit, provide a sensible reason to reintroduce some of the recurring characters, and gives CDProjekt free reign on which direction to take the story all while having a "passing of the torch" to connect the player to the previous series. An old Grumpy Geralt would also be pretty fun to talk with.

Doesn't make much sense. Such student wouldn't become a Witcher - Geralt doesn't not how to perform trial of the grasses. Ciri made more sense, becasue she was a Source. Here you would be playing a normal guy without Witcher reflexes, senses and abilities. And judging by how often Geralt got himself almost killed because of his job, such guy wouldn't last long.

Going into the past before Kaer Morhen got destroyed. Geralt was a young Witcher back then (if I remember correctly) so you could meet him, and there was enough Witchers so you could create your own and be taught by Vesemir.

What's wrong with playing a normal guy?

Tytus

Arcane

What's wrong with playing a normal guy?
:stupid:

Well it's a Witcher game isn't it?

It's like buying a game about Jedi Knights game and not playing a single Jedi for the entire game.

If you want to play a normal guy in a medieval setting, go play Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Tytus

Arcane
Doesn't have to be called "Witcher - The Non-Witcher" it's just a game based in the setting, could be about anything.

LoL you are more retarded than I thought:

1. Witcher setting was always based around Witchers and Geralt of Rivia. It's not like Star Wars or Song of Fire and Ice where you can have multiple threads about different things. To buy a Witcher game/book so I couldn't play/read a Witcher is just stupid as fuck.

2. How would you even market such a game? Witcher World - Temeria? The franchise is called the Witcher and if you call it Witcher something - you already written yourself into a corner and when you name it something completely different like Northern Kingdoms: Temeria - you throwing brand recognition out the window and you have to build it up from the ground up again.

3. You're basically want a game like the section where played Roche/Iorveth for a while in Witcher 2 and that was horrible. No spells, no potions, no Witcher senses, no double sword action. When people play a game filled with monsters, magic and shit - they want to encounter monsters, use magic and shit. You are basically want to make this a Skyrim game where you play as the guard who takes all the arrows to the knee, instead of the Dragonshit guy with awesome magicks, shouts and dragon fights. Good luck with that.

Inziladun

Brofists Received:

Now, I understand why.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
lol You're both fucking stupid. One for asking for a witcher-less game in a setting where the main thing that sets it aside are witchers, and the other for brofist-shaming an oldfag with 99% of his posts in a pre-brofist age.

Tytus

Arcane
lol You're both fucking stupid. One for asking for a witcher-less game in a setting where the main thing that sets it aside are witchers, and the other for brofist-shaming an oldfag with 99% of his posts in a pre-brofist age.

Pointless internet points are serious business, didn't you know?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Witcher setting was always based around Witchers and Geralt of Rivia. It's not like Star Wars or Song of Fire and Ice where you can have multiple threads about different things. To buy a Witcher game/book so I couldn't play/read a Witcher is just stupid as fuck.
Too bad that no one told Sapkowski this when he decided to write several books with Geralt as a secondary character while all the important plot stuff was left to non-witcher characters.

I'm not really against playing as a non-witcher in a Witcher game per se, as you could probably do some interesting things with the setting if you went the TW2 route with political intrigue, for example. It'd of course mean a complete overhaul to combat system, but they've redone if for every game anyway. I wouldn't really see such a game working as a proper sequel, as killing monsters is a big part of the games after all, but the idea of a non-witcher spin-off isn't completely ludicrous. I think that playing specifically as Geralt is one of the strengths of the series, though, as everything from the plot and dialogue to C&C and quest design is designed around that fact.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aye but also a downside for some, lotta folk hated playing Polish Steven Seagal dint they? New more likeable fixed protagonist perhaps, or try and merge a fixed protagonist wi a blank slate somehow like KotOR 2 tried to?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Aye but also a downside for some, lotta folk hated playing Polish Steven Seagal dint they?
Many of those people seemed to want a different game altogether, though. Besides, they're obviously wrong, because Geralt is great and very likeable, partly because he has an actual personality and a set of values instead of being just a typical safe and bland fixed protagonist.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Many of those people seemed to want a different game altogether, though. Besides, they're obviously wrong, because Geralt is great and very likeable, partly because he has an actual personality and a set of values instead of being just a typical safe and bland fixed protagonist.

I dint mind im mesen, an I agree there were a lot o character building you could do as opposed to usual placeholder protagonist, but I can see why other folk dint like im as at first glance he does seem like a bit o a cliche. Then again theres not many watched old Bogart films an read Dashiell Hammet an Raymond Chandler novels that characters based upon, they just took im for archetypical tough guy rather than the stoic noir protagonist, which is a failin o game I suppose. Its funny that Witcher, so loud and raucous is quite fucking subtle when it comes to this as opposed to most western devs who are so blatant an handholdin.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
See, as a non-witcher you can use them fuckhueg hammers. That's good enough incentive for me.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I dont know why nobody posted the most obvious answer: Broche

No more monster hunting, but forming of political plots and killing off assholes in the most badass manner possible would be the main elements of the game. It would be awesome.

I expected as much from Sapkowski .
Its the same thing as my father they are the same generation and at first he was totally off from computers like its a plague.
Now he's old don't have anything to do and surfs almost all the time when he's home.
Its a fear of new things, he would probably lighten up to the idea of interactive storytelling if he was more exposed to it.
Especialy when you consider that CD Projekt did more than anyone to do it in a relatively decent manner.

That guy was being ridicouled for many years by other authors because his form of narrative was considered as esoteric trash. He should be a bit more open towards new forms of media... Hes just repeating the cycle, like a beaten boy who goes out and tortures cats or something. I respect him for his vision, but his behaviour towards this topic is everything but adult.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Game of thrones wannabe. As much as I like characters like Broche and Djikstra and scheming sorceresses, all that should serve mainly as the background. What made the witcher great is the eastern-European mythology setting coming to focus through the monster hunting of the witchers. It's no wonder what when things went super-epic in the novels, the quality took a dive and the same applies for the games, the best parts are the sad/twisted/humorous stories that the witcher stumbles upon when he is tasked to solve some monster/curse/supernatural problem.

Last edited:

NullFlow

Savant
I wouldn't mind Lambert and Eskel as playable characters with a lot of room to play with. If people were bored of Geralt's monotone voice and generic cynical anti-hero attitude they could get Lambert who's a lot more springy, crude and venomous.

odrzut

Arcane
Bonhart: Slay Them Witchers Good.

Dandelion&Priscilla: the Novigrad Tycoons.

Iorveth: Scoiatael Tactics.

Dudu: the First Million.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd prefer for it to be set in the past, in the 'golden age' of Witchers. We'd design our own character, and start out as a 'child surprise' to one of the Witchers at Kaer Morhen. In the prologue we'd undergo the training, trials, and mutations.

Not the most creative idea (in fact very predictable and traditional), but I'd like it.

The prologue might conclude with the event where Kaer Morhen is stormed by the fanatics and mages.

Not a bad idea.

Another idea I fancy, would be to structure the next in a fashion similar to those two "stories" volumes, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. Kinda apparently unrelated episodes, which all come together at the end, and turn out having followed a more-or-less subtle underlying storyline.

Sjukob

Arcane
For me it doesn't really matter what type of character the protagonist will be , unless it's Ciri or Yennefer type if character .

What I think is important is focusing on social aspect , morality and stuff like that .

I think that ideas of the other worlds and unavoidable destiny doesn't fit into the Witcher world at all . That's why I hate TW3 plot . I really don't understand why Sapkowski would ruin his universe in such a way .

Of course , CD Project had to put white cold and the wild hunt into the game , since they were continuing the story of Geralt . But what they have shown in TW and TW2 is that they can actually make interesting enough social conflicts , they wasted their ability in TW3 , because it's plot focuses too much on particular characters . But may be there is a chance of them understanding that and heading in the right direction , although seeing fanboys reaction to the third game , CD Project will surely choose the way of maximum profit .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom