Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on "Ocean of Games"?

Overall is this a good or bad development for games?

• Total voters

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
http://oceanofgames.com/

Please Note I neither condone or vilify a service like this.

Don't know how many people here pay attention to things like this. How much is anonymous mass cloud storage going to affect pirating? Will the shit hit the fan from websites this blatant? Or is this merely going to be just another slow grating step in the battle between the internet and the law? Or... is this perfectly legal as the owners claim?

At the end of the day, ironically, it's indie/kickstarter games that will suffer most, simply because the size of downloads is a factor. Justifying 20gb for a game you may not like is a lot harder than picking up 20 smaller titles after all. Perhaps the future of gaming will be simply have to be people paying a developer/publisher directly before they make a game, to make sure profit is definite?

No doubt similar discussions exist somewhere on the codex, to me this just feels like a whole new wave of... something...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So it's just a big pirate site? And I love how the guy asks for donations.

Dreaad

Arcane
As far as I can tell the way they legitimize their actions is by waiting for someone to directly ask them to bring something down, which they then immediately do. Only to upload it from a different source in a short while. Essentially treating software like youtube treats videos, not sure the same rules apply but they seem to be going for it. And have been active for a almost a year, so if it is a honey pot, it's a very patient, well crafted one.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
At the end of the day, ironically, it's indie/kickstarter games that will suffer most, simply because the size of downloads is a factor. Justifying 20gb for a game you may not like is a lot harder than picking up 20 smaller titles after all. Perhaps the future of gaming will be simply have to be people paying a developer/publisher directly before they make a game, to make sure profit is definite?

I don't really buy that. The biggest gap between indies and publishers is publicity. Even assuming nobody who torrents a game ever buys it (which is bullshit, I've bought plenty this way, including KotC and Terraria, and it doesn't get much more indie than that) indie devs would still derive more of a benefit from having people who torrent the games talk about them (which I also do, a lot) unless all they have to say is that the game is shit, in which case... good?

More word of mouth advertising for games in general is pretty much the best thing that can happen for gaming as far as I'm concerned. Piracy furthers that. It promotes more money going into the hands of the people who most deserve a slice. I'd have never had the money to buy KotC if I'd spent it on say, Borderlands 2. And I sure as fuck wouldn't have bought it without trying it out first.

As for whether or not it's legal... I don't really think laws that can't be enforced are relevant. It's illegal to jaywalk too. Lock me up and throw away the key, I'm guilty of hundreds of counts.

Dreaad

Arcane
It's...a regular warez site? I'm not sure what's the big deal.
It's free (account or monetary wise). Not loaded with fake links, advertising, pop up viruses. Has very fast response time support team to deal with any issues. Has fan pages hosted on all the usual suspect social media sites... has been active for over a year with no legal attacks.

Maybe I'm just not that familiar with good service warez sites? I only know about shit like VODlocker and other cesspools of broken links, subscription bait or endless links from site to site like some demented virus driven merry-go-round. Is there really that many stable warez sites out there?

Okay, it's a high quality warez site, not a regular one. :M

Eh, you just have to pay attention to what you're clicking on. (hint: if you're asked if you want to download "GAME.EXE", is probably the wrong link). There are millions of those sites but torrents are much more convenient so they probably won't last long.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it's not like there aren't many warez sites with direct download links. If you really want to pirate a new game you can easily find it in a gazillion of ways. Meh. What I would have wanted is a site with old, hard to find, games.

Underground gamer :negative:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, it's not like there aren't many warez sites with direct download links. If you really want to pirate a new game you can easily find it in a gazillion of ways. Meh. What I would have wanted is a site with old, hard to find, games.

Underground gamer :negative:

But there are plenty of those.
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/ is still alive and
http://www.myabandonware.com/ has a decent library of abandonedware too.

But maybe I didn't catch your meaning, which happens a lot with me.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Hold on, doesn't this site's rules say that linking to such websites isn't allowed?

a) The Rules

As much as possible, we don't really want the the NSA / FBI to shut us down. As such, things that are generally illegal in most Western countries are not allowed. Obviously this is difficult in a global environment with different laws in every country (and there is a genuine legal question around which jurisdiction the Codex would come under) but as a general rule, use the laws of the United States of America. We do however, have some specific issues that have arisen in the past:

2.1. Piracy: We do not mind discussions about piracy, however posts that are seeking or promoting pirated versions of games will be warned, the offending text may be edited out and it may result in a ban if you do it too often. As clarification: "I am seeking and / or promoting a pirated version of something" == BAD vs "Let us have a genuine discussion about piracy and the impacts it has on the game industry" == OKAY.

As far as my views on piracy, copyright, intellectual property and the like goes? That's for another place, let's just say that I don't like how the current laws are too stilted towards rich corporations with huge legal teams.

Destroid

Arcane
Legally I believe direct downloads have a lot of advantages over a torrents for the user. You can't get done for any kind of distribution if you don't upload, and private organisations have a vastly more difficult time monitoring who is downloading the content without being able to sit connected to the torrent.

It would seem more risky for the host though.

I love the genres ascribed to certain games. Icewind Dale was labeled an "Action", "Arcade" game. Gothic and Risen were under "Fighting" games. And then a whole bunch of games that never had PC ports were labeled/described as PC games. No, God of War and Devil May Cry 2 are not PC games.

I wonder if the chronic mislabeling is part of some shrewd plan to avoid legal repercussions, exploiting some arcane loophole in the hyperlexical world of copyright.

potatojohn

Arcane
I tried to download 3 games and they were all "removed" despite being on the main site.

Together with the retarded english and nonsense text I'm pretty sure that site doesn't host anything except browser exploits to make you join their bitcoin botnet.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pirate site with relatively few followers that very few people have heard of before?

Give it a month to explode to the big time and then be taken down.

Also going by the comments, it looks like you need their "special downloader" or something to download and install stuff. A lot of questions about "how do I install this".

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
These kind of sites existed long since the beginning of online pirating. I got my hentai games from such places. :smug:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
I don't want the local authorities raiding my house and finding my rape dungeon. No thanks.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:negative:

Just gib me a torrent of all HOTU games with a decent # of seeds already...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
But there are plenty of those.
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/ is still alive and
http://www.myabandonware.com/ has a decent library of abandonedware too.

But maybe I didn't catch your meaning, which happens a lot with me.
I know about those. Thing is that there's really nothing like UG. Aside from the usual stuff, that site had games that can't be found anywhere else today, or at least it's extremely hard to find them. And also specific rare versions. It really was a gaming history preservation museum.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And if I remember correctly GOG is guilty of it shutting down. :outrage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom