Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQ goes bankrupt - Sega gets Relic, Gearbox gets Homeworld, Deep Silver gets Metro and Saints Row

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.shacknews.com/article/76526/thq-running-out-of-cash-seeking-strategic-alternatives

Plus they're pushing CoH2, South Park and Metro a couple months back.

Don't really give a fuck as long as they manage to sell Relic and the CoH/Homeworld IPs. Somebody certainly must have interest in Relic. At least they wouldn't be bound to make shitty WH40K games anymore.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
As long as relic's and 4A Games IPs get sold off to a decent publisher I couldn't care less.

sidewaysbobby.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recently discovered that Relic's games are much cheaper for Eurofags.

Will probably ask one of you guys to buy me their stuff next time there's a sale. Which, considering THQ's state, may be soon. :smug:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I am suprised how THQ manages to fuck it up,they have some nice IPs(Saint's Row,Company of Heroes,Metro,Darksiders)and some good licences(WH40K and some sports licences)yet they manage to be in the shitter deeper and deeper every month

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Company of Heroes was a pretty fun game, so I hope CoH2 makes it to the shelves in a reasonable amount of time.

Other than that, burn.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I am suprised how THQ manages to fuck it up,they have some nice IPs(Saint's Row,Company of Heroes,Metro,Darksiders)and some good licences(WH40K and some sports licences)yet they manage to be in the shitter deeper and deeper every month
Probably because THQ's properties, outside of Saints Row, are all pretty niche and don't sell more than a million or two. Games are expensive and such low sales aren't enough to keep them afloat.

Darksiders? Good game, probably needed to sell 2 million or more to break even. It's an action-adventure and an IP nobody cares about. Good game isn't enough anymore.

Company of Heroes? Only PC strategy fans know it. Not marketable to mass audiences on consoles. Probably doesn't sell more than 2ish million outside of Steam sales.

Warhammer? Popular, but still niche appeal, too nerdy to become the next Gears of War or whatever they want it to be.

Sports and wrestling games are about all they have, and for the most part their games are worse than the competition's. THQ could get away with this sort of thing 10 years ago because you didn't have to sell 5 million copies of everything to draw a modest profit.

If I were them, I would immediately focus on downsizing, catering to those niches as much as possible, embracing big budgets and digital distribution over big-budget boxed games, and expand as much as possible into DLC/microtransaction/free to play territory with the lowest possible costs involved. The games industry has become a place where only 1,000 pound gorillas can survive and still make triple-A titles, and THQ isn't one of them. The uDraw tablet was a colossal, sad and hilarious failure, and it sped up their demise, but even if it broke even, I think they'd still be in the same shitty situation they are now.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I hate thq for dropping support on Retribution and Space Marine. Fucking fun games, broken as fuck.
Plus they tried to make Darksiders 2 some kind of fable rpg. I shitted my pants with anger during derp-wheel dialogues and boring as fuck open-world areas.

Fuck them.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Probably because THQ's properties, outside of Saints Row, are all pretty niche and don't sell more than a million or two. Games are expensive and such low sales aren't enough to keep them afloat.

It's pretty miserable that you can't even stay afloat anymore by making niche games. And it's even more miserable that RTS as a genre is a niche market now.

Mass audience or bust, wtf is wrong with this world.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Project Eternity shows how it's done right.

As for the really big AAA titles: I agree, there really only gonna be a handful of them (Rockstar, Bethesda, BioWare, Ubisoft...) that can continue making these behemoth titles without going bancrupt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Project Eternity shows how it's done right.

As for the really big AAA titles: I agree, there really only gonna be a handful of them (Rockstar, Bethesda, BioWare, Ubisoft...) that can continue making these behemoth titles without going bancrupt.

And we're not sure how long Bioware will be in that list either

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What THQ needs to do is stop trying to make AAA games, and instead go for somewhat lower budget, more niche titles. Instead of spending all of their money on graphics shit, why don't they try making something with merely decent graphics but genuinely good, hopefully innovative, gameplay? Think DX:HR but with the derp stripped out. Or, something with a really well-done story? Most video game stories are crap, if you could make a game with a good plot and interesting characters, while still having combat that doesn't make you want to, well, not play the game then I'm sure that would sell well too.

Coming up with things that would sell really isn't that difficult, but apparently THQ—and much of the games industry—is fucking retarded.

Achilles

Arcane

It's pretty miserable that you can't even stay afloat anymore by making niche games. And it's even more miserable that RTS as a genre is a niche market now.

Mass audience or bust, wtf is wrong with this world.

I think THQ's problems started when they tried to chase the console buck, so I disagree with the assertion that the problem was with the, erm, nicheness of their IPs. They tried to make a Call of Duty killer that failed horribly (Homefront) and a gears of war clone that also failed horribly (Space Marine). They wanted to punch way above their weight and they naturally imploded when the profits didn't match their investment. As sea points out, modest budgets and niche products is the way to go for everyone that isn't EA or Activision.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe Volition can get back to making Freespace games?

Ahaha-hah-haaaa.

What? without the money to fund Saints Row games, they'll have to aim lower, maybe go EGOSOFT and concentrate on low cost space combat games? Almost everyone that worked on Freespace is still there....KS?

Frankly if THQ couldn't see the dollars in making a low cost continuations of Homeworld and Freespace and instead kept trying for uber expensive AAA type games that ran on consoles (look at how Red Faction kept tanking game after game) they deserve to die and maybe their devs will be picked up by people that will let them do their thing.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom