Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQ goes bankrupt - Sega gets Relic, Gearbox gets Homeworld, Deep Silver gets Metro and Saints Row

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
No dude. People make games, not company names.
Not that the companies understand that, mind you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Koch/Derp Silver wouldn't have paid $23 million just for Volition studio's name sans employees and IP. They bought the SR franchise. An odd fit to be sure. Couldn't care less that Ubi bought South Park because I'm sure it's going to be terrible, anyway. Lol @ nobody buying Vigil/Darksiders. I would have thought that IP is worth more than Homefront.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I know, I've played Derpsiders 1 and bought Derpsiders 2 for like $3 during the holiday sales. It's nothing amazing but... worthless?!?! Not even the $500k Homefront got?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There must have been minimums for the bidding. Otherwise I could have shown up and bought Vigil for $5.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's what I'm thinking. And I'm sure they grossly overvalued the IP.

Also, a surprisingly decent point from Cheap Ass Gamer:

Buying Homefront over Darksiders doesn't have anything to do with what good IPs they are or aren't. Homefront 2 was in development for a year already. It's a small investment for Crytek to finish their work. Darksiders 3, on the other hand, was not in development and would be a huge investment money wise for a game that would be several years away, especially since Joe Mads, the creative vision behind the franchise left THQ months ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going to pour a 40 on the curb in honor of Saint's Row having to endure the painful extended death that is being owned by a Euro-shovelware publisher.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"These franchises hold a special place in the hearts and minds of anyone who loves exceptional video games," said Deep Silver COO Geoff Mulligan.

dildobatheaderimg530px.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh and
Volition (studio) and Saints Row (IP)
Winning bid: $22.3 million - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)
Backup bidder: $5.4 million - Ubisoft
Are they out of their minds?

Not as depressing as
Evolve (IP) aka Metamorphosis
Winning bid: $10.894 million - Take-Two Interactive
Backup bidder: $250,000 Turtle Rock Studios, Inc.
"Oh, what's that, you wanted the rights to your game? Aw, what a cute bid. Nah, you're ours now."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would have thought they let the parties know what the others were bidding but I guess not. Talk about overshooting the mark. They both wasted ten million+ for no reason.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Corporate garage sale down 1st Ave. Look for the white collared folks carrying boxes.

Dexter

Arcane
I would have thought they let the parties know what the others were bidding but I guess not. Talk about overshooting the mark. They both wasted ten million+ for no reason.
The total amount raised needed to beat the $60 Million stalking horse bid Clearlake offered in the first place: http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/19/thq-files-for-bankruptcy-assets-sold-to-investor-clearlake/ or THQ would have remained whole, transferred to Clearlake and they wouldn't have gotten anything.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ah, that makes sense -- so they basically had to pay a premium just to ensure the sale held.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If anyone is interested the officel document about the bids:
http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/results.pdf

South Park bought by Ubisoft is a bummer, I hope they won't use their shitty DRM. And I'm seriously surprised that several good IPs were bought by Koch Media. And no bids for Darksiders? Not that I want a DS3, since I haven't even finished the 2nd one, but it must have worth some money.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sweet. Ubisoft got South Park. That bumped it from "Probably won't try" to "Definitely won't try" for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are the chances of Ubisoft's acquirement of South Park:TSoT working out like a distribution deal, with none of the game's data (including how it's installed, DRM, etc) changed in any way?

I think South Park Studios (ie Trey and Matt) might even demand that Ubisoft not fuck with it too much.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They'll probably argue that DRM doesn't change the quality of the game itself. Prepare for UPlay, always online and starforce shenanigns :3

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Couldve been worse.

Prediction: EA gets WWE anyway, platinum games gets darksiders without the studio (if thats even possible)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There must have been minimums for the bidding. Otherwise I could have shown up and bought Vigil for $5.
Or Vigil might have a bunch of liabilities, so the buyer would have to inject a ton of cash right away to keep the studio from going under.

Hellraiser

Arcane

There's also one other thing, the second bid amount is *not* what the other guys bid before they got outbid. That's what they offered initially before going into a bid-outbid fight with the other guy. The idea is that if the winner was bidding out of his ass with money he does not have, they only pay what they would pay if those guys who won never bid at all. So that jackasses couldn't troll you into buying shit overpriced by saying "LOL NO MONEY KTHX NOW PAY 7 ZILLION FOR THIS PIECE OF SHIT".

Garm

Learned

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

First, don't treat every title as if it were going to be the next AAA blockbuster by giving it a two-year development time (or more) and a $50 million budget.

Since when is a 2 year development cycle long? Christ, that used to be considered short, especially for a big name IP.

Adjust the scope of the design so it's doable in 12 months with a reasonable team size.

So...make every game a sports game now? Look at the writing ability of most "writers" in the game industry--now imagine them with even less time to "polish" the game story and dialogue.

Oh, and fuck that top commentor guy--worthless POS mobile developer whining about 100 hour playtime expectations with plenty of content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom