Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQ goes bankrupt - Sega gets Relic, Gearbox gets Homeworld, Deep Silver gets Metro and Saints Row

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lol @ retards calling Freespace "space sim".
Look mom, i can shoot those evil aliens with my assisted targeting, so pro!
Get out of my lawn brats, so I can get back to playing Tie Fighter.
I just call Freespace "fun." The rest is of no consequence.

hiver

Oh right, the real spaceships would not have computer assisted targeting. right-e-o.
And some dumbfuck would be able to target other spaceships all by his own awesome brain and twitch reflexes.
In a spaceship dog fight. Which is by itself a realistic simulation eh?
Right.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Freespace 3? Only if you want a streamlined next gen abomination.

As if Freespace 2 wasn't streamlined. LOL.

Play Freespace then play I-War or even Klingon Academy....Chortle.

Sorry bro I love Freespace, but it is a 'space shooter' and a pretty streamlined one at that. Just because there's a quite a few OPTIONAL keys you can use(nothing that couldn't be integrated more easily anyway without any loss of functionality) doesn't make it into a simulator. You have wingman commands in other games too; STREAMLINED games.

As for Koch taking the franchise, well who knows if it's good. If they let Volition do their thing then maybe a new Freespace is possible. OTOH they may just take the name and let Egosoft use it for their next X spinoff and keep Volition working on SR, though I doubt they'll have the budget for that.

Sega getting Relic is about the best that could be hoped for from the list. I doubt much will change there. Ubishit getting TSOT is a disappointment. If it's on USHIT only, then I guess Obsidian won't be getting a purchase from me.

Koch publish the X games and other PC-only stuff

That means Volition get to make Freespace 3 right

right

right
Saints Row: Freespace, maybe.
I can think of worse ideas but not many better ones

Saints Row: Freespace...that would actually be pretty awesome if they were allowed to just fucking go with it. Flying around in pimped up ships, shooting multi headed dicks before landing on various planets and kicking aliens in the nuts.

:yeah:

Santander02

Arcane
If Freespace 2 is streamlined I can't even imagine what Freespace 3 as done under the "direction" of a current gen publisher would be like.

Oh wait I think I can:

-Shut down the source code project and eliminate/heavily restrict modabilty to sell ship/weapon DLCs (Shivan fighter pack, 12$!!!!)
-Dumb down the enemy AI so that it is incapable of preforming evasive maneuvers; taking down dragons should be just as fun as taking down a bomber!
-Nerf enemy capital ships defences while making allied ones overpowered, feel awesome by making HUEG starships blow up in awesome looking explosions! Never feel pressured while doing an intercept mission!
-Get rid of energy settings management, now you can fit the 8 gun banks in your Enrinyes with Kaysers without any drawbacks whatsoever!
-Stronger focus on "story" and "character relations", form emotional bonds with your wingmates! Gamma 3 is a beautiful yet ice hearted pilot that has forgotten her feelings due to the horrors she's witnessed in this war, as her new wing leader perhaps you canOHJESUSICANTGOON

I'll give it to you that maybe calling Freespace a Space "Sim" is technically incorrect, its an Arcade Space Shooter, but one I would not like to be resurrected for the modern market, and besides with the Source Code Project constantly breathing new life to this decade old game, we now have plenty of high quality user made campaigns like Derelict or Blue Planet that continue/expand the Freespace storyline and universe so I really don't really feel any need for an "official" Freespace 3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jason Rubin looks like he was meant to be an IDF colonel, not a videogame executive: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-about-thq-39-s-struggles-and-final-days.aspx

Do you think mid-sized publishers/developers like THQ can survive in an industry that's filled with large-size companies like EA on one hand and indies on the other?

That is a great question, and one I spent a lot of time working on answering.

I believe that in the near future, digital distribution and alternate business models will bring a greater percentage of dollars spent on games back to the publisher/developer. Based on that change, in a few years, a THQ would be able to survive, and larger publishers will be even more profitable. But the next few years of transition are going to be incredibly challenging for all AAA game companies.

Clearlake was to provide the capital to bridge THQ to that eventuality. Time will tell if I am right, but unfortunately I will not be able to prove the idea with THQ.

You obviously saw all the products while they were in development. Which ones do you have the most hope for and think can thrive in their new homes? Which ones do you think will still need more work to see their potential?

I did more than see the products while they were in development. I played them, worked on them, and talked with the teams about their future. I think the slate has a huge potential, and I look forward to seeing the titles reach the market.

Asking me which title is my favorite is like asking a father to name his favorite child. And of course I can’t comment on the new owners.

But I will say this: The price that the teams and products “went for” at auction seem to me to have no bearing on the underlying value. If someone tries to judge the quality of the products by the price paid for them they are doing themselves no favor.

The best example of this is Vigil’s title, codenamed Crawler. When the teams got together recently to show each other their titles, Crawler dropped the most jaws. It is a fantastic idea, and truly unique. The fact that nobody bid for the team and title is a travesty. It makes no sense to me. If I weren’t barred from bidding as an insider, I would have been there with my checkbook. I’m sure that’s little consolation to the team, but that’s a fact.

What happens to THQ's back catalog – especially for franchises that THQ once owned, but weren't sold off? What happens to properties like Darksiders and Red Faction?

There will be a separate process to sell off the back catalog and IP. That process will take place in the coming weeks.

What are you going to do next?

My focus right now is helping the THQ employees who are out of work find jobs. I am lucky enough that this process doesn’t negatively impact my family. That is not true for hundreds of people.

It would be selfish to think about myself right now.

:salute:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
If Freespace 2 is streamlined I can't even imagine what Freespace 3 as done under the "direction" of a current gen publisher would be like.

Oh wait I think I can:

-Shut down the source code project and eliminate/heavily restrict modabilty to sell ship/weapon DLCs (Shivan fighter pack, 12$!!!!)
-Dumb down the enemy AI so that it is incapable of preforming evasive maneuvers; taking down dragons should be just as fun as taking down a bomber!
-Nerf enemy capital ships defences while making allied ones overpowered, feel awesome by making HUEG starships blow up in awesome looking explosions! Never feel pressured while doing an intercept mission!
-Get rid of energy settings management, now you can fit the 8 gun banks in your Enrinyes with Kaysers without any drawbacks whatsoever!
-Stronger focus on "story" and "character relations", form emotional bonds with your wingmates! Gamma 3 is a beautiful yet ice hearted pilot that has forgotten her feelings due to the horrors she's witnessed in this war, as her new wing leader perhaps you canOHJESUSICANTGOON.
You couldn't make it up!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Oh wait I think I can:

-Stronger focus on "story" and "character relations", form emotional bonds with your wingmates! Gamma 3 is a beautiful yet ice hearted pilot that has forgotten her feelings due to the horrors she's witnessed in this war, as her new wing leader perhaps you canOHJESUSICANTGOON.
You couldn't make it up!
He just did.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

Oh wait I think I can:

You couldn't make it up!
He just did.
thats_the_joke_This_post_is_good_ss_jokes-s452x339-297672-535.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Part of the Vigil is hired by Crytek, and moving into new studio in Austin. Darksiders on CryEngine? Count me in.

Developer’s first North American studio paves the way for exciting new opportunities

Crytek GmbH today unveiled their ninth worldwide studio, situated in Austin, Texas, USA. Crytek USA Corp. is the company’s first US-based studio and is ideally placed to embrace exciting new game, engine and business development opportunities in North America and beyond.
“Crytek has always enjoyed a special relationship with gamers and business partners in North America, so establishing a permanent presence in the US was a natural step,” said Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli. “We are extremely excited about the work that we will be undertaking from our strategic new location in Austin, with David Adams and his team of 35 experienced developers. We believe our CryENGINE® technology will enable the team we assemble to create unparalleled new gaming experiences.”
David Adams, the newly appointed CEO of Crytek USA Corp., added: “I’m thrilled to be a part of the newest Crytek studio, which will boast some of the brightest development talent in the industry. The studio’s launch represents Crytek’s commitment to delivering diverse and high quality content to players everywhere.”
Crytek USA Corp. follows on from the recently-opened Crytek Istanbul as the company’s newest studio, meaning the ambitious developer and publisher now has an established presence in Europe, Asia and North America.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
aahh... my sarcasm detector efficiency was momentarily reduced in order to increase power of rage beam weapons because some derptard called my precious Freespace a bloody "space shooter".
Ok, it's a space racing game if you wish. Yeah, i know, i struck a nerve again :lol:

Freespace 2 is a space shooter. So's Tie fighter, wing commander etc.

If it was a space sim, you'd be able to accelerate as much as you like, instead of up to some arbitrary top speed defined by your ship. If you power down your engines, you shouldn't float to a stop like you do in the above games, but keep going along whichever vector you were moving at. All in all, maneuvering would be a great deal trickier for popamole lovers and all shooting would be plotted by targetting computers at long range because people would be moving at relative velocities measured in several kilometers per second.

Newtonian physics, bitches.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Oh wait I think I can:

You couldn't make it up!
He just did.

That was made up? I thought the was talking about Mass Effect 4.

Tytus

Arcane

Oh wait I think I can:

You couldn't make it up!
He just did.

That was made up? I thought the was talking about Mass Effect 4.

Oh god, I wanted Freespace 3 for so long. But after reading this.... rest in peace old friend, I hope forever.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't be that hard for Sega to outbid that Bioware outcast.

I swear if some shitbag indie grabs Homeworld and turns it into a flash-graphics iPad game I'm gonna commit suicide by finishing Crysis 3!
Don't forget to make an LP out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom