Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Three Classics You Would Buy on Ebay

Photokoi

Learned
I actually REALLLY want to buy Ultima V box for cheap because I'm finishing up ultima iv for the first time and I know I m gonna keep going so that would be just AWESOME. Also, since I have zero boxes, Im wondering what would be a long time investment. What game would last me years to come?

Also considering Betrayal at Krondor and even Darklands
Havent played any of them.
Have you guys heard that Shroud of the Avatar will have a box and map and stuff!??? Anyone have info about this?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still have the manuals for nearly every game I've ever bought, at least until games stopped having manuals. I never had the Baldur's Gate 1 manual, though, because I got my copy used from a friend. And I never bought Planescape Torment when it was still in stores - I don't think I'd even heard of it before I started lurking on the codex in 2007 or so.

With that in mind, I'd have to say Baldur's Gate 1, Planescape Torment, and Ultima 7.

otsego

Cipher
A long time ago on some Thief forum I saw someone showing off some stuff they got as either a pre-order bonus or part of a collector's edition or something (for Thief 1 or 2), it was a model of a looking glass and like a small pouch..

I don't know anything about this, but it reminded me of a letter opener that I believe some people received if you pre-ordered Daggerfall back in the day:

5kepeg.jpg

Sure wouldn't mind adding that one to the shelf... (not to mention that Thief trinket that was mentioned either...)

LizardKing

Scholar
Ultima IV-VII (any of them, I love cloth maps!), Fallout 1 (the big box version)

Luzur

Good Sir
A long time ago on some Thief forum I saw someone showing off some stuff they got as either a pre-order bonus or part of a collector's edition or something (for Thief 1 or 2), it was a model of a looking glass and like a small pouch..

I don't know anything about this, but it reminded me of a letter opener that I believe some people received if you pre-ordered Daggerfall back in the day:

5kepeg.jpg

Sure wouldn't mind adding that one to the shelf... (not to mention that Thief trinket that was mentioned either...)

i think it was a prize in a contest.

Photokoi

Learned
Yes cloth maps are awesome. I do,t have one so I have no idea what its like to use. Its also sick playing ultima IV and seeing that the map (printed) actually is very precise even though its artistic and relaxed in a sense.

What about SSI games? Might and magic? Wizardry?

I tried playing daggerfall and never got into it. It is very odd for sure. So different from elder scrolls 3 4 and 5. That knife is awesome

Photokoi

Learned
Sorry for the double post.

I want to get a game for less than $25 on ebay and right now I'm thinking Betrayal at Krondor and Pool of Radiance and perhaps Ultima V.

Betrayal at Krondor seems more like an adventure game; you dont choose your character name right? It seems like a game where you are the 'main' character but you can improve skills in different ways. Like Deus Ex, where you cant be whatever, you have to what the game designed, which is sort of a killer for me :( . I really like character creation. Then again, the game is probably incredible.

Pool of Radiance seems really cool but maybe too much strategic combat. I can live with that. IT also has story and exploration. Its a little older so I might not get into it. I like DnD and all but who knows. What I might not be able to live with is the lack of music! Yes, I know, stupid. I am an audio whore. I really like game music, and I know BaK has very good music.

Ultima V is what I would get but it is a bit too expensive right now. I reaalllly want it because of the map and honestly everything else.
What do you guys think about these?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I sold my big box Fallout in 2000, to fund something else. Since I bought it on sale for 29.95 I thought no biggie, as gaming was inclining exponentially at the time and I thought that FO3-FO6 would be 100x better.

:M

On topic, I'd grab anything SSI Gold Box. It's so much better to have the Adventurer's Journals on hand to read when the game prompts you.

At least I have the System Shock 2 big box as I see a few here wish they had it. And Tie Fighter CD. And all the IE engine games, apart from IWD2(did that even get a big box?I only ever found the 'new improved' Walmart size version.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I have this one, although I haven't look inside for ages, so I don't remember the exact contents (I don't really recall those postcards). The box looks the same, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
CE also has a cloth map while the regular edition only paper I think.

Don't have either, yet, but I do have an IWD1 with cloth map.

By the way, the Torment box is not too great unfortunately. I love having it of course, because I love the game, but the manual is pretty crappy and the only extra thing is a poster and that's only in the UK version which luckily I have.
There's a better German edition, though, that I had my eyes on for some time now.

Photokoi

Learned
Just 'stole' Ultima V and BaK from ebay. UV for 25$ and BaK for 14$. What a deal!

Of course, ULTIMA V is a much more impressive package with all sorts of in-world documents etc.

BaK's manual is very crisp, well done, but rather generic/'this is how you play the game'. I love it, dont get me wrong, but Ultima...

The Book of Lore... the MAP!!! The only thing is I'm downloading the actual game because it came on 5inch floppies which I dont have a drive for. Also I've decided to play the Apple version since PC is too colorful/no ORIGINAL music (yes I know about the patch) and the C128, beside loading time and SID (I prefer mockingbird, I know, its a sin), Im already playing U4 on Vice c64 so I want to try the original for once. Im sure Ill enjoy it, but I have to finish U4 which can be dreadful (dungeons and revolting combat).

BaK came with actual 3.5 floppies so i could actually install them. Took me 2.5 hours to figure out how my drive on the computer works, and other annoying things with dosbox etc, but now it works in full glory on my 17" CRT. Im loving it so far.

Is it me, or is there some humor involved in BaK? The part where the young squire (i forget his name) runs up to Owen and asks him what he's doing, and Owen says without thinking that they were on the way to Kro -[ndor]... and Locklear stops him and says some other town to remove suspicion. I got a chuckle out of it.

Anyways, enough rambling, time to play.

What do you think, good investments?

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just 'stole' Ultima V and BaK from ebay. UV for 25$ and BaK for 14$. What a deal!

Of course, ULTIMA V is a much more impressive package with all sorts of in-world documents etc.

BaK's manual is very crisp, well done, but rather generic/'this is how you play the game'. I love it, dont get me wrong, but Ultima...

The Book of Lore... the MAP!!! The only thing is I'm downloading the actual game because it came on 5inch floppies which I dont have a drive for. Also I've decided to play the Apple version since PC is too colorful/no ORIGINAL music (yes I know about the patch) and the C128, beside loading time and SID (I prefer mockingbird, I know, its a sin), Im already playing U4 on Vice c64 so I want to try the original for once. Im sure Ill enjoy it, but I have to finish U4 which can be dreadful (dungeons and revolting combat).

BaK came with actual 3.5 floppies so i could actually install them. Took me 2.5 hours to figure out how my drive on the computer works, and other annoying things with dosbox etc, but now it works in full glory on my 17" CRT. Im loving it so far.

Is it me, or is there some humor involved in BaK? The part where the young squire (i forget his name) runs up to Owen and asks him what he's doing, and Owen says without thinking that they were on the way to Kro -[ndor]... and Locklear stops him and says some other town to remove suspicion. I got a chuckle out of it.

Anyways, enough rambling, time to play.

What do you think, good investments?

Your U5 is missing the silver coin and the box has split corners so as far as a "good investment" collecting-wise, not really. Getting both these excellent games for the manuals and cloth map to better enjoy them, yes!

Photokoi

Learned
Yeah, I got for the joy of playing. The missing coin is a bummer but the old wreck of a box gives it an ancient feel

Luzur

Good Sir
some "collectors" used to pluck out the coins, maps and stones out of Ultima packages and sell them as loose "completion material", although ive not seen this happening the last years.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
some "collectors" used to pluck out the coins, maps and stones out of Ultima packages and sell them as loose "completion material", although ive not seen this happening the last years.
Haven't seen anyone selling the trinkets by themselves in a loooooooooong time.

artakserkso

Educated
They seem to be available on eBay at extortionate prices.

However, Photokoi's buzz seems to be more box/map/manual related, which is good.

He don't need no stin(kin' trin)kets.

Photokoi

Learned

That is SUCH a ripoff. I mean I found Ultima V for five bucks more and it probably had the coin, so selling the coin/amulet/rock separately (I cant imagine the price) is smart but dastardly.

They seem to be available on eBay at extortionate prices.

However, Photokoi's buzz seems to be more box/map/manual related, which is good.

He don't need no stin(kin' trin)kets.
Oh yeah!
:mca:

And let's be honest the trinket is only used in the intro of every game AFAIK (dont spoil anything if this is false) and then pretty much forgotten. If I were a nostalgia whore (which I cant be because I was born 10 years after this game) who owned it in the day then yes, Ill pay for it and get my nostalgias worth. But otherwise, everything else in the box suffices.

BTW, sort of off topic, but does anyone from the 80s era of gaming know about the Ultima V t-shirts? I know about them a little bit from the ad in the box, but did anyone actually buy them? Do any of you own one, because THAT would be expensive and surely a collectors item.

mindx2

Patron
BTW, sort of off topic, but does anyone from the 80s era of gaming know about the Ultima V t-shirts? I know about them a little bit from the ad in the box, but did anyone actually buy them? Do any of you own one, because THAT would be expensive and surely a collectors item.
Saw one on ebay a few years ago with an asking price of $399 I believe. Only one I've ever seen but haven't really searched for one. I'm obsessive over collecting but that is pretty pricey even for me... :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom