Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time Travel! Yesterday's backup put back.

Calis

Pensionado
Dear Codex visitors,

As I'm sure you've noticed, I've put back yesterday's forum backup, since it seemed easier than cleaning up the mess. I've got a database snapshot from after the mess as well and intend to put up a read-only copy of that snapshot so that you can retrieve your posts and post them in the "real" forum.

As for management issues, VD said in the staff forum he felt he needed to take a breather. Since VD is like me, in that he has trouble letting things go even when he states he wants to, I've demoted him for now. Too early to cheer for the anti-VD crowd though; he can have his powers back anytime he asks for them. Seeing this mess when I woke up has made me pissed off enough that I intend to be more of a nazi than he ever was.

Furthermore, despite all this "we are teh patriots" talk, I don't appreciate the douchebags who did this. At all. It's costing me a day of productivity, something I really can't use. So fuck you Nico, fuck you Lunch, and yes, fuck you too, Pooper.
Though I guess this is karma biting me in the ass, since I made the mistake of letting Nico mess with DAC at one point as well. Oh well.

If you want to see the post-mess forum or get some of your posts, go here:
http://iloveoblivion.com/phpBB_mess/ (locked in its entirety)

Now, I'm going to restore a few ranks and bans.

Jora

Arcane
Add the Mysteries of Westgate interview to the "approved content" department.

Krokar

Scholar
If nothing else, I just hope VD will still post news/interviews/reviews.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
How :codex:

Restore the NWN interview, please, I hadn't finished reading it. Besides, the newspost on GB looks silly now. It links nowhere!

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
vault_dweller.jpeg

:cry:

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Calis said:
Too early to cheer for the anti-VD crowd though; he can have his powers back anytime he asks for them. Seeing this mess when I woke up has made me pissed off enough that I intend to be more of a nazi than he ever was.

orange-NaziPartyDay_1934e.png

Let the purging of teh forumz begin!

Alex

Arcane
Sorry to hear about VD. He is a good mod, and even if I don't agree with everything he does, I still prefer to have him around. Still, I guess taking care of these forums is really stressful, and he seemed really tired. Enjoy your vacation time, VD!

By the way, why was the site down?

Helton

Arcane
That was one hell of a ride.

Well :salute: to all involved. Hopefully VD will return to us restored in the not-so-distant future. But other than that I see this as a wholly positive experience and I don't know why people are being such downers about it. DU took it stride at least. I guess the extra work-load is a bummer.

Cheers, all, I think I could die happy now.

Calis

Pensionado
Alex said:
Sorry to hear about VD. He is a good mod, and even if I don't agree with everything he does, I still prefer to have him around. Still, I guess taking care of these forums is really stressful, and he seemed really tired. Enjoy your vacation time, VD!

By the way, why was the site down?
For some reason, forum didn't work after I imported the dump. It turned out to be due to the auto_increment flag not being set for any of the ID fields, which took me a while to figure out. Figured it'd be better just to disable the site for everybody so I could work in peace.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Good work, Calis. Your work for this site is invaluable, and it's a pity that some teenage "rebels" made so much trouble for you. And they dare to use the name of the Che Guevara, who was a man who you may not agree with his beliefs, but he truly fought for what he thought best. These boys don't have the 1/1000th of the balls this man had.

kris

Arcane
Elhoim said:
And they dare to use the name of the Che Guevara, who was a man who you may not agree with his beliefs, but he truly fought for what he thought best.

Fighting for your beliefs is hardly absolving.

Cassidy

Arcane
Calis said:
Seeing this mess when I woke up has made me pissed off enough that I intend to be more of a nazi than he ever was.

Don't do it! It will only encourage more InternetDrama.

Che Guevara

Fulgencio Bastista didn't return to power and quelled it a few hours after the Cuban Revolution started, and though violence was used and people were killed, property wasn't unnecessarily destroyed and twisted for the sake of LULZ only because it was a serious thing. I think a new title is needed, besides Volourn's classic one and heavily linked to it:

I N T E R N E T R E V O L U S H A M

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Calis said:
As for management issues, VD said in the staff forum he felt he needed to take a breather.
To clarify:

Yesterday's events gave everyone a good taste of what true freedom is like. It was a rather pathetic finale of a glorious era of freedom. I'm not angry at those who did it. Not at all. They did it for the lulz and that's what they always were here for. I had a chat with Spacemoose yesterday, trying to work something out. Here is what he said:

"anyhow, if you unban me, I can't promise that I won't continue my revolutionary lulzy ways - that's the appeal of this forum to me - that you can say stuff that would get you banned at SA and other places like that. "

It didn't really hit me until the forums were taken over. We have a number of people who are here exclusively for the lulz, for pulling shit that would have gotten them banned anywhere else. Should we be really surprised at the yesterday's events?

Now, the reasons for me stepping down. If I stay, I'll have to ban a lot of motherfuckers. If you thought that it was a nazi regime before, wait till I start cleansing the stupidity from the forums. I spent most of the day yesterday explaining why I banned Spacemoose, even though the pictures that he posted were kinda self-evident. Still, my attempts to protect the site were called unprofessional, childish, egotistic, nazi, etc. Obediah even compared my "reign" to Naked Lunch's hijacking of the site, claiming that I did the same thing: took the site over and changed it to reflect my ways. What would happened when I start banning people for less visible stupidity?

Anyway, that's why I'm out. I don't want to enforce anything without the overall consent. If most people still believe that banning dumb shits is wrong and that the lulz aspect of the forums must be preserved at all costs, I'll sit on the benches. I'll visit the site once a week like most veterans and the stupidity will bother me less or not at all. If/when people get enough, I'll consider stepping back in. Ideally though, someone else will take over and I'll be able to join the great patriarchs Saint and Spazmo.

:salute:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't see it, Vault Dweller. What prevents you from banning all stupid people that are here for the "lulz", like, say, Zappa? Oh, sure, people throw tantrums... and? Who cares.

Sure, I said the other day banning Spacemoose wasn't a good idea: that's because he's kinda 'inventory' and made quite a lot of good contributions in the past. But hey, why not? Maybe it would actually improve the Codex a good bit. Right now you can't browse the forums without hitting a stupid thread every second thread.

I suppose the moral is this: we should be a bit more introspective and ask ourselves if a post will add something before posting it. Eh, not that I always adhere to that myself.

Edit: I should make this more readable: get back here, bitch.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
kris said:
Elhoim said:
And they dare to use the name of the Che Guevara, who was a man who you may not agree with his beliefs, but he truly fought for what he thought best.

Fighting for your beliefs is hardly absolving.

Sure, but it's worthy of respect. I think the world, the state of gaming, everything, can be a little better if you fight for what you believe for, instead of sit down and complaining, or playing "teh rebal" on an internet site.

spacemoose

Erudite
elhoim, nedrah, jedilearner and a bunch of others:
I cannot believe the staggering amounts of your faggotry. "dare to use the name of che guevara" :barf: stop taking things so seriously

despite what people might think, I'm not all cheering this turn of events here. VD was/is the best newsposter/reviewer on the site, and had been a very reasonable mod until a few months ago.

after my ban I was negotiating with him about establishing a "demilitarized zone" subforum where regulars could bullshit with few restrictions, leaving GD to have undisturbed "serious discussions"

now that he's taking a vacation from moderating, this initiative will probably stall which sucks

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
This is the RPG Codex, no the LULZ Codex. The focus must be shifted back. If they do not care about RPGs and want to have some fun, they should look for another place to do so.

FTR, I think that some jokes and lulz is fun, but now is that all that there is to the Codex.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@VD: I have no idea about the validity of the results of the "Vote for our future!" poll, but it seems most people want a more controlled RPG Codex. (I do.) Also, I really hope you continue to post, most content in here is really prima sort.

Stauff

Liturgist
The most troublesome thing is that now many pretty damn good developers start actually pointing people to Codex on their websites (Obsidian and CD Project f.ex). This may help some poor sods drowned in Beth soft to understand what it makes to play REAL role-playing games. Of course Codex is good for its democracy but it's really bad that newbies will see all this internet dramas, totally useless imho... As for Vault Dweller leave, currently it's the worst time to leave, while we have a decent RPG year finally. It's time to celebrate, not quarrel, damn it...

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Calis said:
As for management issues, VD said in the staff forum he felt he needed to take a breather.
To clarify:

Yesterday's events gave everyone a good taste of what true freedom is like. It was a rather pathetic finale of a glorious era of freedom. I'm not angry at those who did it. Not at all. They did it for the lulz and that's what they always were here for. I had a chat with Spacemoose yesterday, trying to work something out. Here is what he said:

"anyhow, if you unban me, I can't promise that I won't continue my revolutionary lulzy ways - that's the appeal of this forum to me - that you can say stuff that would get you banned at SA and other places like that. "

It didn't really hit me until the forums were taken over. We have a number of people who are here exclusively for the lulz, for pulling shit that would have gotten them banned anywhere else. Should we be really surprised at the yesterday's events?

Now, the reasons for me stepping down. If I stay, I'll have to ban a lot of motherfuckers. If you thought that it was a nazi regime before, wait till I start cleansing the stupidity from the forums. I spent most of the day yesterday explaining why I banned Spacemoose, even though the pictures that he posted were kinda self-evident. Still, my attempts to protect the site were called unprofessional, childish, egotistic, nazi, etc. Obediah even compared my "reign" to Naked Lunch's hijacking of the site, claiming that I did the same thing: took the site over and changed it to reflect my ways. What would happened when I start banning people for less visible stupidity?

Anyway, that's why I'm out. I don't want to enforce anything without the overall consent. If most people still believe that banning dumb shits is wrong and that the lulz aspect of the forums must be preserved at all costs, I'll sit on the benches. I'll visit the site once a week like most veterans and the stupidity will bother me less or not at all. If/when people get enough, I'll consider stepping back in. Ideally though, someone else will take over and I'll be able to join the great patriarchs Saint and Spazmo.

:salute:
Eh, why? Most of the bullshit was in General Discussion - why would giving up moderation prevent you from newsposting?

spacemoose

Erudite
Kingston said:
You do know Che got a cramp in his finger from executing so many people.

I didn't think it was possible but my respect for the man just doubled

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom